First (for me) Oil Change ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Liberty ... both bought at auction (salvage) . The first I repaired & sold off ... never had to change the oil. My current I decided to keep for a while (low mileage) & just finished it up. It's last oil change was in 2019, so I figured it was time.

Man is that oil filter in a tough spot when working from the ground! Manageable, but tough! I got through it all pretty easy with not too much mess ... until ... what should've been the simplest part. Adding oil! There's some sort of baffle in the oil filler neck!! ~ It was a windy day & I was using my standard high-volume funnel with a 5-qt jug of Castrol. Starting to pour, I was paying more attention to the wind blowing the oil than I was the filler neck ... before I knew it, the #@!* filler neck overfilled & put about a half quart or more down the side & on to the drive way! I was like ***!

I pulled that "baffle" out & continued the fill with no problems. What the heck is this part for??

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the baffle, you are not the first one to discover you should have removed the baffle before filling. It's not even mentioned in owners manual.
I wonder how many quick oil change shops got caught with this, & then immediately turfed them for this reason.
I've never found an explanation for the baffle, yet the engineers had it it place. I still have mine in place.
Considering the Pcv is mounted to the L side, it may have something to do with ventilation.
The oil cap needs a Warning!! ;)

Attachments

• Oil Baffle.jpg
    Oil Baffle.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Oil Cap etc KJ.jpg
    Oil Cap etc KJ.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 28

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 3.7's didnt have them and they had a build up of sludge in the filler neck. I think there was a TSB to add the baffle if the engine didnt come with it, later models got them from the factory.

People use to post photos all the time freaking out b/c they found a yellow sludge in the filler neck. If you use cheap oil and take a lot of short trips, the PCV will pull the oil vapor into the fillter beck where it condenses. Ive never seen it in my filler neck, but I have always used SYN Valvoline oil.

Boueux

Reaction score
Good to know @JeepJeepster .. synthetic Valvoline.. what specific product, and what weight? There’s a debate here re weight.. I think the 10w30 my H says he thinks 5w30. I’m reading Haynes, he’s googling. What do you use?

also, we‘re 2006 but where do you find the actual OEM filter specs, please? Quadratec says this one, but “usually ships in 2-3 weeks” Yee

..found another on Amazo n same number but BB instead of BF.. which usually means the BF is new and improved in some way but BB still works, correct?

Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Liberty ... both bought at auction (salvage) . The first I repaired & sold off ... never had to change the oil. …

I pulled that "baffle" out & continued the fill with no problems. What the heck is this part for??
Appreciate this post, Kudos and thanks for sharing.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is lots of information on the RFE545 and 45 on the Internet, it was fitted to a lot of trucks, valve body wear is a common theme with issues appearing when the transmission oil gets hot and viscosity drops. I haven't had to work on mine so I'm not able to offer much help but Google will bring you lots.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know @JeepJeepster .. synthetic Valvoline.. what specific product, and what weight? There’s a debate here re weight.. I think the 10w30 my H says he thinks 5w30. I’m reading Haynes, he’s googling. What do you use?

also, we‘re 2006 but where do you find the actual OEM filter specs, please? Quadratec says this one, but “usually ships in 2-3 weeks” Yee

..found another on Amazo n same number but BB instead of BF.. which usually means the BF is new and improved in some way but BB still works, correct?

Discussions on engine oil are never ending. I use 5w-30 in my KJ and have been for many years.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I use 10/30 because it's more readily available & it never really get cold enough to need anything thinner.

But that filter! Never before have I had to look up where it was - & even then, if it hadn't been white, I'm not sure I'd have found it. Then it'd been put on by some bear & I broke my filter wrench trying to get it undone. So, no new filter at 1st oil change, which meant next one came round quicker than it might otherwise have.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the correct size one of these oil filter caps can make oil changes on the Lib a heck of a lot easier. God knows what that correct size (and flute count) is, though. Been trying to figure that out for some time.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3

Boueux

Reaction score
Thank you, I bought 5W-30. My previous experience with that had been winter only.
Getting the correct size one of these oil filter caps can make oil changes on the Lib a heck of a lot easier. God knows what that correct size (and flute count) is, though. Been trying to figure that out for some time.
Thanks @Ksat hmm.. is that the quick change adapter the filter screws into?

Because I’ve also seen video of the drill-shank mounted puller that prongs around the filter which certainly looks like it’d make things more pleasant. I’d love to see a part number for either.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been convinced about those filter caps, if only because not all filters for the same application are the same - & it restricts you to buying a new filter that fits the cap, for the next time. Perhaps the answer is a K&N one you can use a standard socket on - but that goes against the grain (although I have seen one other make with a similar integral "nut/bolt head").
In the event, my 3-legged filter wrench (which wasn't to hand when I did the 1st oil change) did the trick, but the damage to the filter was evidence to just how over tight it was.

As an aside, I recently got a Suzuki Grand Vitara (for reasons I shan't bore you with) but apparently the oil filter is a right royal pita. Come the Spring, I ought to do an oil change, so working on something worse than a KJ will be an "interesting" experience - & might make me reassess my entirely jaundiced views of the KJ as a d-i-y maintenance proposition.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a selection of chain wrenches for oil filters, from garden tractor to Caterpillar sizes, always get the job done, the rubber and fabric belts slip on old oily filter cans.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Ksat hmm.. is that the quick change adapter the filter screws into?
It's just a big, tinny socket that goes on the end of the filter, so you can loosen (or tighten) it. A 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet (or in the Lib's case, a ratchet plus a boat-load of extensions) plugs into the square punch-out you see in the pic on my previous response, allowing you to do the turning,

The photo below is another style of filter wrench that was mentioned. I think that one only allows you to unscrew a filter, not tighten it.

Attachments

• untitled1.gif
    untitled1.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"a selection of chain wrenches" seems a little excessive. I do have one but, while I had no doubt it'd done the job, I thought it'd damage the filter (& I now know just how much). Also it has the same disadvantage as a strap wrench, it's difficult to fit on this particular filter.

My 3-legged wrench is similar to that pictured, but the "legs" are round, knurled & significantly longer: perfect for the V6 filter, as you only have to put it on a 10" extension & aim it at the base of the filter from a distance.

Ksat may well be right about them not being reversible, but I would never do up a filter more than hand tight & even within the confines of a KJ there's enough room to do that.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"a selection of chain wrenches" seems a little excessive. I do have one but, while I had no doubt it'd done the job, I thought it'd damage the filter (& I now know just how much). Also it has the same disadvantage as a strap wrench, it's difficult to fit on this particular filter.

My 3-legged wrench is similar to that pictured, but the "legs" are round, knurled & significantly longer: perfect for the V6 filter, as you only have to put it on a 10" extension & aim it at the base of the filter from a distance.

Ksat may well be right about them not being reversible, but I would never do up a filter more than hand tight & even within the confines of a KJ there's enough room to do that.
I'm a mechanic so a selection is handy, I work offshore but I do bits and pieces for friends and family anything from cars to heavy plant and farm machinery.
I don't worry too much about damaging the old filters, the force required to remove depends very much on the idiot who fitted it, I have had to attach filters with big stillsons and hammer and chisel in the past, not everyone seems to appreciate 'hand tight'!
The CRD filter is easy to get at, the V6 sounds like less fun to work on.

Boueux

Reaction score
It's just a big, tinny socket that goes on the end of the filter, so you can loosen (or tighten) it. A 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet (or in the Lib's case, a ratchet plus a boat-load of extensions) plugs into the square punch-out you see in the pic on my previous response, allowing you to do the turning,

The photo below is another style of filter wrench that was mentioned. I think that one only allows you to unscrew a filter, not tighten it.
Wheddyagetit? Do they list this online somewhere specifically for a KJ? Come with the longgg extension needed? I wannnt one : )

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea where/when/how I got mine, but I'd have thought any autoparts or, probably, hardware store, HF, TSC & no the only thing special about a KJ filter (at least the 3.7 flavour) is poor access. I suppose it's just possible that there are different sizes, but not that I'm aware of.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a mechanic so a selection is handy, I work offshore but I do bits and pieces for friends and family anything from cars to heavy plant and farm machinery.
I don't worry too much about damaging the old filters, the force required to remove depends very much on the idiot who fitted it, I have had to attach filters with big stillsons and hammer and chisel in the past, not everyone seems to appreciate 'hand tight'!
The CRD filter is easy to get at, the V6 sounds like less fun to work on.
I assumed you'd gathered them for different purposes but, even so, you've obviously found more uses for them than I have.

If a filter is that tight, my concern is that having damaged it to the extent it leaks, I still can't get it off (so no hammering screwdrivers through them for me).

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheddyagetit? Do they list this online somewhere specifically for a KJ? Come with the longgg extension needed? I wannnt one : )

I'm not sure if all oil filters made for the 3.7 are the same size, therefore the socket size I use may not fit the filter you buy. That said, I've found a "Hyper Tough" Walmart brand socket fits the oil filter I use perfectly, but with one major caveat: The poor design doesn't allow enough clearance to fit a ratchet (or extension) onto it while holding the filter properly at the same time. I noted the size and flute count of that wrench (74mm 15 flute) and purchased another one from a different brand, and, of course, that did not fit the filter well. Someday I'll probably just weld a nut on the backside of the Walmart one and that should take care of the problem. You could just take the filter you use into an auto parts store and see which sized socket on the rack fits it the best.

Here's a link to the Walmart one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...rench-74-76-mm-New-Model-4215-1-Each/55524392

You may also want to try this style of strap wrench below. It's adjustable and you can loosen and tighten, but it's probably not tolerant of dirty/oily filters, so you need to really clean them off 1st before using.

Attachments

• Strap.gif
    Strap.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For oil filters on the V6 I have had good success with lightly tightening the filter rather than cranking it on. Also get one of those Fram or similar filters with the textured body and you’ll have an easy time removing your filter. I made the mistake of reefing on the filter when I did my first oil change on my KJ and it was a nightmare to remove. I have always tightened them by hand so unfortunately I cant give a torque number.

Latest posts

Members online