No Ignition after Heater Core replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TayJeep

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2006 Liberty Limited that I just finished replacing the heater core on. I did NOT remove the steering column or completely remove the dash. I did lower the column as others have done. Everything works, blinkers wipers absolutely everything and when the key is in the ignition it chimes but when I go to start it there is nothing, no click nothing at all. I checked all the connections, pulled the console again to see if maybe it didn't know it was in park but everything was connected. I was thinking maybe a fuse but it chimes with the key. Not sure there is a specific fuse anyway.
Any thoughts? I'm stumped and my daughter now has no car. UGH!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not very well versed in electrical issues but there are two ignition fuses listed in the PDC under the hood. I think it's F8 and F14. Also relay 30 is a starter relay.

Does the ignition switch feel the same as usual? I've heard the actuator pin in the switch can break and give a no start too.

Hopefully our electrical gurus will be along soon to help you out.

TayJeep

Reaction score
I did find and check the 15 amp fuse, did not see the others so I will have to look tonight. The ignition does feel the same as I would expect since I didn't mess with it at all but strange things happen.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the cluster lights come ON when you turn the ignition key but does not turn over the engine when you move the final rotation of the ignition key to "start"? Check fuse #8 40 Amps in the fuse/relay box under the hood.

Try starting in Neutral instead of Park.
Swap over the Starter relay with an identical one next to it.

Lowering the steering column could have put strain on the ignition switch electrical connector and the Actuator Pin assembly so you would need to access that area.

Remove the plastic covers over the steering column...two female Torx screws.
Remove the ignition switch off the end of the Actuator Pin assembly...smaller "security" Torx screw that require a special Male Torx driver with a hole drilled down its center.

If you see bits of debris falling out then the Actuator Pin Assembly tip has broken off.

You can place the ignition key in its normal slot...to dis-engage the steering lock and to enable SKIS...and turn the ignition key with a small flat screwdriver.

If all else fails you can put the Jeep in Neutral or Park so you do not run anybody over.
Remove the Starter Relay and identify female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty relay slot.
Then briefly Jumper female pins 30 and 87 together..if fuse #8 is OK the engine should turn over and if ignition is ON should start.
This above procedure overrides the ignition switch, the actuator pin assembly, the Park and Neutral Interlocks!

TayJeep

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. The Instrument panel and all associated lights come on when the key is turned on including the chime when the key is inserted. When moved to the start position I get nothing at all.

I did try starting in Neutral and got the same result of nothing happens.

I will Check out the relay tonight and see if that works as well as follow your other recommendations. I appreciate your help!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Actuator Pin Assembly...assuming fuse # 8 is OK and connections on the Starter motor are good.

Dorman sells the Actuator Pin Assembly...Dealers do not stock it...they want to sell you the whole steering shaft assembly!

Latest posts

Members online