2004 No Crank/No Start possible security/neutral safety. Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willonious

Reaction score
A little background. This 2004 3.7 automatic has sat for probably 2-3 years with a dead battery for most of that time.

When I first started on it. I was unaware of the SKIM system. More on that later. The shifter cable was seized. I was able to free up the shifter by disconnecting the cable and moving it back and fourth with a large screw driver until I found a spot where the jeep would crank. It's since been freed up to where it moves normally using the shifter.

Now, with a good battery the jeep would start and run for a few seconds then die. I did this several times trying to keep it running and it would always die. I now know this was the SKIM doing its job. The dash actually registered a non matching key code using the three turns method. Problem is, after many attempts, it eventually stopped cranking all together. I towed it home to do more digging.

In the mean time, I have bought an older Drewtech J2534 interface and have reset/removed the SKIM module completely using J2534 Toolbox. So as far as I can tell that should no longer be an issue. However, I'm still unable to get it to cranks/start. I have no original keys or remotes, only the generic key with no transponder.

The engine will crank if I jump the starter relay however it won't start. I've also checked the ignition actuator pin which looks fine, and I've tried to manually turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver and still nothing. Everything else in the Jeep seems to be working. Fuel pump primes and everything. I'm stumped, my thought is I somehow screwed up the neutral safety switch or there's some other security measure in place that i'm not aware of. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have the factory service manual downloaded but the wiring diagrams aren't making much sense to me.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it got any fuel in the tank? I don't know if the V6 is setup the same as the CRD, if it is then the engine won't start if it thinks the tank is empty.

Willonious

Reaction score
Has it got any fuel in the tank? I don't know if the V6 is setup the same as the CRD, if it is then the engine won't start if it thinks the tank is empty.
Doesn't have much. I've never heard of a vehicle that won't crank at all due to fuel level. I do need to put a few gallons of fresh fuel in anyway.

Willonious

Reaction score
So I reattached the SKIM and it cranked over. I came across a video that mentioned after SKIM reset, you have to clear the memory again (touch battery cables together) for it to be completely gone. So I repeated the process, removed skim, reset everything, turned the key and... nothing. Moved down to neutral and it fired right up!

I can deal with that. Now on to the rusty oil pan.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for updating us.