No crank, Batt, starter, Alternator, Fuel Pump, all good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Driver

Reaction score
Stopped by the store on the way home Friday and when I went to leave my Jeep would not start, wouldn't even try to. I figured it was the Starter as the one on it when I bought it was not even the correct starter for this Jeep (It had a lil' adapter to make it work) it also was purchased used, and looks like hell, So I bought a brand new one and threw it on, still same problem, Battery is Brand new, Alternator is good, new sparks and plugs, I even replace the 15A fuse under the hood that controls the starter just incase, switched the relay fuse with another fuse I know is good, nothing.

I'm thinking it has to be the ignition or the WCM, does anyone know a way to check for sure?
And if it is the Ignition would I need an entire new Ignition, keys and WCM to fix it?

All the lights work as normal, I can hear the fuel pump pop on, none of the connections on the batt/starter seem loose or bad, no corrosion, I just put on new terminals and a new ground a few months ago when I put the new battery in, but still just nothing happens when I try to start it, I turned the headlights on and normally they dim when the engine cranks and that does not happen.

It's an 07 3.7 6 speed.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the actuator pin.That little do-hickey stumps more folks than you would believe.

At least its a cheap part.

The Driver

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks guys, I sure hope so, I will have to try it tomorrow when my wife is off work so I have a vehicle to get to the parts store, will post results.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a piece of wire and a couple connectors, you can jumper across 2 posts after removing the starter relay, I think that might be on the other thread and in the video

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can remove the Starter Relay and identify female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty socket.

With Ignition ON and in Park or Neutral, Briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together. If Fuse #8 40 A under the hood is good.... the engine should turn over and run.

This procedure overrides the Ignition Switch, Actuator Pin Assembly and Park/Neutral Interlocks.

Most owners use the Dorman Actuator Pin Assembly...Dealers do not stock it.

The Driver

Reaction score
Well new ignition and starter and still not starting, I jumpered the relay and it tries to start but wont, it cranks though, I'm guessing because it is a stick shift and someone needs to press the clutch in while im jumpering it to make it start? Soooo almost certainly relay? Can anyone confirm based on this info?

The Driver

Reaction score
Finally found it, it was the "Clutch interlock switch" it broke and when I was pressing the clutch in completely it was simply sliding off the pedal instead of pressing in like it was supposed to, stuck it back on and a ziptie did the trick.

Guess I have a new starter, actuator pin and relay for no reason. Oh well. 200$ down the toilet lol. At least she's running. Thanks for the help guys.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Manual Gearbox KJs overseas are pretty rare compared to the amount of automatics. If I had known this was a Manual...I have the 5 speed Manual..I could have advised you to jumper out the Manual Interlock relay.

Or else place the Transfer Case into Full Time Low and making sure you have space to move turn the ignition to Start without depressing the clutch....the Jeep should trundle forward. This is used to be able to start the Jeep in gear when stalled on a steep incline when off-roading.

Try this out to see if it applies to your Jeep..useful when the Jeep dies in traffic and you need to pull over to the side or you have stalled on a railway crossing;)

Last edited:

The Driver

Reaction score
The Manual Gearbox KJs overseas are pretty rare compared to the amount of automatics. If I had known this was a Manual...I have the 5 speed Manual..I could have advised you to jumper out the Manual Interlock relay.

Or else place the Transfer Case into Full Time Low and making sure you have space to move turn the ignition to Start without depressing the clutch....the Jeep should trundle forward. This is used to be able to start the Jeep in gear when stalled on a steep incline when off-roading.

Try this out to see if it applies to your Jeep..useful when the Jeep dies in traffic and you need to pull over to the side or you have stalled on a railway crossing;)
Yeah I've never seen another manual, let alone a 6 speed, think they only made them for like 2 years?
There's a manual interlock relay? Good to know.
My Jeep is also RWD only soooo no full time low lol. Luckily when it originally wouldn't start I had parked on a hill so my wife and a random passerby helped push it all the way up the hill and i let it roll down and popped the clutcg to get her home, gotta love a manual.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've never seen another manual, let alone a 6 speed, think they only made them for like 2 years?
There's a manual interlock relay? Good to know.
My Jeep is also RWD only soooo no full time low lol. Luckily when it originally wouldn't start I had parked on a hill so my wife and a random passerby helped push it all the way up the hill and i let it roll down and popped the clutcg to get her home, gotta love a manual.

The 2002 KJ wiring diagram shows a relay for the Clutch Switch and My 2002 Export Diesel 4X4 does have this relay.

The 2005 KJ wiring diagrams do not show this relay...the switch itself directly switches ground into the PCM/ECM so you would probably have to override the switch itself...OK for a diagnostic test but obviously dangerous to override it permanently!:(