bad starter or different issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to start the jeep today on my lunch and nothing, no relay chatter or any noise indicating the starter is being activated. all of the normal instrument cluster lights come on, the battery is fine, jump pack made no difference, i checked all fuses and replaced the starter relay and still nothing. is it just a bad starter or is there another issue that i may be overlooking? thanks for the help everyone
-chris

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds kinda like the infamous ignition actuator pin.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep what Leeann said.^^^^

First try jumper pins 30 and 87 in the Starter Relay socket and see if the engine turns over.

If it does...do a search for "actuator pin" to see where to get one at a good price and how to replace it.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully its the starter i got one last night and started pulling the old one, (ran out of daylight), ill be finishing the starter swap tonight, if that doesnt fix it ill move on to the actuator pin. thanks for the info.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new starter is in and still not up and running, ill be picking up the actuator pin on my lunch, im keeping the original starter to have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i already had the old starter out before anyone had replied, the stock one had 93,000 miles on it so it was well worth it to finish replacing it, also swapped the ignition switch and actuator pin.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i already had the old starter out before anyone had replied, the stock one had 93,000 miles on it so it was well worth it to finish replacing it, also swapped the ignition switch and actuator pin.

So you get the Libby running again?