No start on Laredo 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mncoates

Reaction score
Okay so here’s the story:
Jeep had a crack in radiator so coolant leaked occasionally; fixed radiator crack with JB weld, and when on the way home it drove great! Then all of a sudden it shut off at the stop sign and wouldn’t crank again.

I installed a new alternator, that wasn’t the problem.
I installed a new IAT sensor after it threw the code p0113, didn’t start.

It turns over but wont fully start.
I don’t think it’s the battery, and I’ve checked the fuses.

I haven’t checked the relays, or the fuel pump, or starter.

Is there anything else to check for?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings. You’re on a Liberty forum but you share our main engine so we can let that slide. ;)

I doubt your radiator fix had anything to do with a no start condition. Can you let us know what year your Jeep is? The 3.7’s are more and more computer controlled throughout their life. In the Liberty, they went drive by wire in 2007.

mncoates

Reaction score
Oops lol. It’s a 2006.

I don’t think it’s the starter because I’m familiar with having to replace a starter, but I know nothing about the computer side you’re referring to.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Spray starter fluid and see if it cranks over if it does it a fuel related issue. If it doesn’t look for ground wire by starter sometimes they get corroded and give issues.

mncoates

Reaction score
Spray starter fluid and see if it cranks over if it does it a fuel related issue. If it doesn’t look for ground wire by starter sometimes they get corroded and give issues.
well I went and got my battery fully charged to make sure that wasn’t the issue, got home & hooked it up and it immediately died again.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
well I went and got my battery fully charged to make sure that wasn’t the issue, got home & hooked it up and it immediately died again.
Did the car turn over it the battery just die?

mncoates

Reaction score
Did the car turn over it the battery just die?
No it didn’t, I’m starting to think the clicking im hearing isn’t the battery being dead that it’s the starter needing to be replaced.!

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
If you recently replaced the starter, then it wouldn’t hurt to check the grounding wiring going to it and to the inside of the fender. If that ground is corroded even with a brand new starter, car won’t crank.

mncoates

Reaction score
Okay so update:

I hadn’t at that point installed a new starter but just did today and when trying to start now it is making multiple clicking sounds, before I installed the starter when I tried to crank it it was making only one click sound.

Also before installing the new starter I had my battery on a battery charger and completely charged, and tested at advance and it seems good to go.

I’ve checked all the fuses underneath the hood but haven’t checked under the driver side yet.

I thought the one clicking sound was the starter and that’s why I decided to install a new one.

I’m not sure where to go from here.

mncoates

Reaction score
Where would I spray the starter fluid?

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
air intake hose going towards the throttle body and check the ground cable by where the starter is located. Make sure it has good contact and no corrosion.

mncoates

Reaction score
air intake hose going towards the throttle body and check the ground cable by where the starter is located. Make sure it has good contact and no corrosion.
Do you mean spray the inside of the air intake hose & put back and then try to start? or just spray the hose in general?

I’m sorry if that sounded incredibly dumb to ask, lol

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
lol no it’s fine to ask! I’m always learning something new and do this. You know where the air filter goes? Well undo the air filter box and spray some starter fluid in the hose going to the engine. Spray in a decent amount and then try to start car. If you have an extra person have them try to start the car while another person sprays the starter fluid.

mncoates

Reaction score
On another note,
A buddy of mine hooked up a computer or something like a multimeter to my battery and it says it only has 8v now when it should have been fully charged

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
check your battery terminals make sure they are clean. The battery also has a ground strap near the battery. Make sure it is clean and has ground. You can tell your friend to check if the ground is grounded. The Grand Cherokee can have some electrical issues. Make sure your grounds are clean!

mncoates

Reaction score
I’m not even 100% sure which wires are even ground wires. I got the Jeep 3 years ago from my step dad after it had been sitting for a year. it was maintained prior to sitting though, needless to say that everything on it still is close to original lol

mncoates

Reaction score
check your battery terminals make sure they are clean. The battery also has a ground strap near the battery. Make sure it is clean and has ground. You can tell your friend to check if the ground is grounded. The Grand Cherokee can have some electrical issues. Make sure your grounds are clean!

mncoates

Reaction score
I’m going to upload some pictures tomorrow of battery, and some other related pictures that I have questions about if you don’t mind the bothering lol. My boyfriend has been the one installing and reinstalling and etc and we’ve been so scrambled with trying to diagnose the issue that he bounced around a little bit and could have easily forgotten to do something or etc. & is to busy at work to mess with it now

& I still need to try the starter fluid trick, haven’t been able to go get any. how ironic lol

mncoates

Reaction score
A new starter has been installed, and a new battery, still no start.
Removed the air intake hose and sprayed and almost started but didn’t . All wires are good, everything is connected. Idk what else to do

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
A new starter has been installed, and a new battery, still no start.
Removed the air intake hose and sprayed and almost started but didn’t . All wires are good, everything is connected. Idk what else to do
You have a fuel related issue then either high pressure in the fuel rails, bad fuel pump, or etc