Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StewF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys for the advice I kinda thought ARB much appreciated from the UK

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only lockers I've used in my fullsize trucks are Lockright, and Detroit Locker. I like how they work. The Powertrax is a smoother-engaging version of the lockright, with all the same grip.

I put the Powertrax in the front of the KJ because its a full-time axle and wanted to minimize any 2wd side effects as my gf drives it most. It lives up to that - its like its not there at all - until you engage 4wd - then hang on and watch out!

I may SFA the KJ sometime in the distant future, and this powertrax will swap right into a XJ/YJ/TJ/ZJ dana 30 solid axle.

EDIT: I re-read the original post and realized you're locking the rear. Powertrax is a still a good candidate IMO.

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: i wouldn't dare put a weak d30 under a SFA KJ

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: i wouldn't dare put a weak d30 under a SFA KJ

Meh. When you're sitting on a couple XJ front diffs already (like me) and something major goes out on the IFS D30.... guess what's going in next :gr_grin:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone install a locker with little to no wrench turning experience

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't recommended it for the casual wrencher....you need specialized tools and knowledge and someone who has done it looking over your shoulder...if you get it wrong, you can destroy your diff, locker, axle, etc...shop around...

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'lunchbox' style locker (lockright, powertrax, spartan, aussie) is a much more forgiving install because you only replace the spider gears. It takes a few hours in the driveway without special tools. No more advanced than brakes or oil changes, IMO.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mexsmoke:
No, I wouldn't recommended it for the casual wrencher....you need specialized tools and knowledge and someone who has done it looking over your shoulder...if you get it wrong, you can destroy your diff, locker, axle, etc...shop around...

Thatnks i thought maybe it was as easy as taking off the cover pulling so e parts and putting in new parts thanks for the advice

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'lunchbox' style locker (lockright, powertrax, spartan, aussie) is a much more forgiving install because you only replace the spider gears. It takes a few hours in the driveway without special tools. No more advanced than brakes or oil changes, IMO.

Good to know thanks are those lockers just as good i have a 2002 with the select a trac would it still be beneficial i thought 4wd part time is kind of similar to lockers

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks are those lockers just as good i have a 2002 with the select a trac would it still be beneficial i thought 4wd part time is kind of similar to lockers

In Part Time mode the front and rear don't differentiate from each other - they are locked together in the transfer case. The diffs on each axle are still open so that the wheel with less traction will spin; Part Time doesn't change that.

With the SelecTrac, the transfer case acts as a differential between the front and rear axles so the Jeep can be driven on high-traction surfaces without driveline binding. In a turn the four wheels travel four different distances, which is why the SelecTrac has to differentiate between the front and rear axles - and then the diffs on each axle allow the wheel on the outside of the turn to travel faster.

FYI - 4LO functions the same as Part Time as far as locking the front and rear axles together except the gear ratio is much lower. But just like Part Time, the wheels with less traction still spin when in mud, sand, rocks, etc.

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As good? Hmmm.... depends. Ultimately not as strong, but equally effective. You wont find a selectable lunchbox style though.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As good? Hmmm.... depends. Ultimately not as strong, but equally effective. You wont find a selectable lunchbox style though.

Good to know this mod will be down the line when some funds free up i like to do things right once and thats it so if that means i need to fork over good money for good stuff thats the case thank you for your advice

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Part Time mode the front and rear don't differentiate from each other - they are locked together in the transfer case. The diffs on each axle are still open so that the wheel with less traction will spin; Part Time doesn't change that.

With the SelecTrac, the transfer case acts as a differential between the front and rear axles so the Jeep can be driven on high-traction surfaces without driveline binding. In a turn the four wheels travel four different distances, which is why the SelecTrac has to differentiate between the front and rear axles - and then the diffs on each axle allow the wheel on the outside of the turn to travel faster.

FYI - 4LO functions the same as Part Time as far as locking the front and rear axles together except the gear ratio is much lower. But just like Part Time, the wheels with less traction still spin when in mud, sand, rocks, etc.

Bob

Wow all i knew was to use part time unless its really slippery i can put it in full time never on dry pavemeny so i always use part time in snow mud gravel never on dry road i knew i could just never needed it thanks for the info i learn something every time i ask a question here cant beat a good active community of people with one thing in common

Latest posts

Members online