KJ left me stranded, won't crank... what to do now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah as soon as it through the code for the P/N switch it narrowed the search down to one part,a expensive part also.

ridenby Having similar problems,swapped out ASD relay,with blower relay,Jeep started.Next time I went to start,no go,swapped another relay to ASD spot,Jeep starts. what is ASD? Where do I start looking for the cure?
The ASD relay stands for "Automatic Shut Down".All 6 injectors and all 6 coil packs recieve + battery power from the ignition switch,the PCM houses 6 seperate drivers for each coil and another 6 for the injectors by switching "on" the ground.The ASD relay is the final circuit in that ground path(along with the fuel pump power).Your going to start having to go through each wire in the harness and test the PCM to find the problem,best of luck(dealertime if it was my KJ).

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: had the battery load tested. It's good. Very good.

Went ahead and dropped the front driveshaft and took out the starter. Thought it was going to be a b*tch of a job but it actually turned out to not be that bad. Had the starter tested: It's good.

When I crank the ingnition key, if you put your ear by the starter relay you can hear it click. I so I'm really sure the problem isn't the starter relay (and I've swapped it with known good relays anyway, so...)

So now I have a mystery electrical problem somewhere between the tailpipe and the bolt heads on the front license plate.

I'm going to start looking very closely at the P/N switch and harness stuff, but I have NO idea where that's located. Any help appreciated. Will start digging through my manuals...

I'm losing hope and as you say TJ, I'm smelling a trip to the dealership.

Oh, and I was smoking crack on the P0605 code. I'm overtired from last night and had my head wrapped around too many things, it actually threw a p0645 which is an AC clutch circuit which would be expected because I had my ac clutch relay taken out last night during testing. I've had the battery connected on and off all day today and it's back to throwing no codes whatsoever. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U

I'm going to start looking very closely at the P/N switch and harness stuff, but I have NO idea where that's located. Any help appreciated. Will start digging through my manuals...
That all is located in the transmission,if I remember right the part is about $500 or so and you have to pull the valve body out to get to it.

Right from the FSM............
TRANSMISSION RANGE
SENSOR

DESCRIPTION
The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is mounted
to the top of the valve body inside the transmission
and can only be serviced by removing the valve body
assembly. The electrical connector extends through
the transmission case

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the same thing that happened to me didn't happen to you but it sorta sounds like it. A little part broke inside my stearing colum. It took 600 to fix it because I had to get the entire steering colum replaced.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all is located in the transmission,if I remember right the part is about $500 or so and you have to pull the valve body out to get to it.

Right from the FSM............

I'm all tingly...

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't I have noted some strange shifting behavior at some point before this failure?

And wouldn't it have thrown a p0705 error?

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Well got mine started,took it to dealer,seems part of ignition switch was bad,my baby is better now.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could short the wires of the connector to the sensor in the transmission and see if it starts, or is the sensor more complicated than just a switch?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, I'm having it towed to a shop tomorrow morning. Spoke extensively with a couple of mechanics who said all my trouble-shooting techniques were pretty spot on, and it probably is the Neutral safety switch (or tansmission range sensor or whatever those crazy kids at Chrysler call it). I'll know for sure hopefully no later than this weekend.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions and I'll update everyone with what they find.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So did they use your old keys or do you now have a complete set of new keys?

The ignition switch and the tumbler assembly are 2 separate parts.
Absolutely correct,my switch was acting weird,could remove key while jeep still running,sometimes it would not shut off,etc.Finally the big let down came.

Just an update, I'm having it towed to a shop tomorrow morning. Spoke extensively with a couple of mechanics who said all my trouble-shooting techniques were pretty spot on, and it probably is the Neutral safety switch (or tansmission range sensor or whatever those crazy kids at Chrysler call it). I'll know for sure hopefully no later than this weekend.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions and I'll update everyone with what they find.
Saying Jeep prayers for it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage just called... said it was *not* the neutral safety switch. They think it's in the ignition switch. I asked him if it made sense that it would be the ignition when you can hear the starter relay 'click' when you turn it. He said "yeah, don't make no sense".

*sigh*

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage just called... said it was *not* the neutral safety switch. They think it's in the ignition switch. I asked him if it made sense that it would be the ignition when you can hear the starter relay 'click' when you turn it. He said "yeah, don't make no sense".

*sigh*

I am sure they have tested it, but how many volts is the starter getting when you hit the key?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go to Auburn Car Repair and Off Road?

No that would have been a very expensive tow. I took it to a shop downtown Seattle. There was another shop in West Seattle that came pretty highly recommended, but they didn't take credit cards. Like I have that kind of cash lying around in my bank account gathering dust.