KJ left me stranded, won't crank... what to do now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got stranded in a parking lot this afternoon where the KJ wouldn't start. Had full electrics in the vehicle, headlights, instruments, dash throwing no codes at all. Just showing 'done'. Battery reading 12.41 volts. Haven't load tested it though, but it seems good-- tow truck driver felt it was good too.

Jump start didn't work, no crank, no click no nothing. Fuel pump seems to come on when putting key in 'on' position. Turn key to crank, nothing.

Fuse looked ok. Haven't tested starter relay yet (not sure how, am looking at manual now). Any advice?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st check the ASD relay,swap in a known good relay(horn relay works good).2nd have the fuel pressure tested,if it's over 50psi that is good.Those steps only when battery is confirmed good.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, voltage doesn't mean a battery is good. Amperage is required to activate the relay and crank the motor, too.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
super simple test for battery is to turn the headlights on and crank it. If the lights go out or dim badly, you know you have either a bad connection or bad battery. If nothing happens then it could be a relay (most likely scenario in my opinion).

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

tjkj, will do. You're saying I can replace the horn relay and simply drop it in the starter relay? You noted 'ASD' relay, by that you mean the starter relay, right? f that doesn't do it, how do you do a fuel pressure test?

TBJ and speed: I agree that pure voltage is no indicator, but on this case, I'm pretty sure the battery's good. Headlights come on and don't dim when I crank, same goes for dome lights and the like. Plus I had the AAA guy with his massive jumper system on it and got nothing, not even the beginnings of a crank. I've had really, really bad batteries that would crank when I was in a jump config. But I'll have an opportunity to put an entirely new batter on as a friend is coming over tomorrow to test.

jeepjeepster: Thanks for the tip on the starter. My last fear was that it was the starter itself. If the relay trick doesn't work, I'll give that a shot.

I did an ohms test on the starter relay #72472m and got 74-75 ohms resistance on it. I haven't done a real load test on it. Will try tonight. It's raining and blowing like a summb*tch outside so not fun to work on the truck.

Will keep everyone updated and big thanks for the tips, everyone.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruin it? Not sure how that would ruin a starter in any way. Doesnt take much to tap on it to check and see if the contacts are bad/dirty. Done it myself and it worked great.

Im basing this on the assumption that hes not the golly green giant and doesnt break it off the block.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just swapped the High Beam relay with the starter relay, (because the relay works and appears to be the exact same one) and no crank, no nothing. Zip, zero, nada. No clicks no nothing. What's the possiblity I have an issue with my ignition switch?

Also, what about the sensor that tells the truck when it's in Park or Neutral so that it locks out the start process?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj, my head is clearing a little. I found the ASD relay. You're saying I should switch the ASD with the horn relay, right? I'm looking for the horn relay now.

smcbride11

Reaction score
tjkj, my head is clearing a little. I found the ASD relay. You're saying I should switch the ASD with the horn relay, right? I'm looking for the horn relay now.

Knee compartment relay locations can be found in a diagram here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40619&highlight=horn+relay

Those steps only when battery is confirmed good.

You've done more than a voltage test on the battery, right? If you're on your stock battery, I'd replace it anyway - I had very similar symptoms about 6 months back, and it was just a battery problem... and after 5 years, you probably need a new battery anyway.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knee compartment relay locations can be found in a diagram here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40619&highlight=horn+relay

You've done more than a voltage test on the battery, right? If you're on your stock battery, I'd replace it anyway - I had very similar symptoms about 6 months back, and it was just a battery problem... and after 5 years, you probably need a new battery anyway.

I actually found that thread an hour ago or so, thanks for the update, though. I guess I'm a little confused though. Here's what I've done so far:

Switched the Starter relay with the high beam relay (they seemed the same) no luck. Switched the ASD relay with the 'spare' located in the diagram you point to smcbride. No luck.

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes, cleaned terminals, reconnected. No luck.

Tomorrow I'll have a fresh battery

I do note that after I put the battery back on and I tried, because I got my mental wires crossed, I tried to turn the truck over with no starter relay. Put all relays back where they belonged, now truck throws code p0605 which is some internal transmission ROM code. I'm assuming this code has nothing to do with my problem...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I actually found that thread an hour ago or so, thanks for the update, though. I guess I'm a little confused though. Here's what I've done so far:

Switched the Starter relay with the high beam relay (they seemed the same) no luck. Switched the ASD relay with the 'spare' located in the diagram you point to smcbride. No luck.

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes, cleaned terminals, reconnected. No luck.

Tomorrow I'll have a fresh battery

I do note that after I put the battery back on and I tried, because I got my mental wires crossed, I tried to turn the truck over with no starter relay. Put all relays back where they belonged, now truck throws code p0605 which is some internal transmission ROM code. I'm assuming this code has nothing to do with my problem...

Sent you a pm.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I stole this from the FSM.

Park/Neutral position
switch faulty or
misadjusted.

Park/Neutral Position Switch - If equipped
with automatic transmission, visually inspect park/
neutral position switch for indications of physical
damage and loose or corroded wire harness connections.
Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch in
21, Transmission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Having similar problems,swapped out ASD relay,with blower relay,Jeep started.Next time I went to start,no go,swapped another relay to ASD spot,Jeep starts. what is ASD? Where do I start looking for the cure?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
This is giving me fits,Several times switching relays every start.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I stole this from the FSM.

Park/Neutral position
switch faulty or
misadjusted.

Park/Neutral Position Switch - If equipped
with automatic transmission, visually inspect park/
neutral position switch for indications of physical
damage and loose or corroded wire harness connections.
Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch in
21, Transmission.

Nothin more to see here, folks. Good find, Ryan.