KJ Country Detailing Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i will be getting my KSG today so, hopefully pics will follow in the coming weeks if the weather holds up for me here.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking like the weather isnt going to hold up for me, temps today were in the 30's with a a 30mph wind here. Great, hopefully sometime in the next two weeks will work out for me detailing my heep before winter.

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
looking like the weather isnt going to hold up for me, temps today were in the 30's with a a 30mph wind here. Great, hopefully sometime in the next two weeks will work out for me detailing my heep before winter.

You'd be surprised how much detailing you can do inside a closed garage....and it helps to get the engine nice and warm, that way you can close the garage door and open the hood and heat your garage. \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, the weather took a turn for the worse here too. its 37 right now and Im freezing to death in my room. Theyve not turned on the heat and probably wont for awhile. I guess Ill have to sneak a heater in to keep warm.. :-$

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Yea, the weather took a turn for the worse here too. its 37 right now and Im freezing to death in my room. Theyve not turned on the heat and probably wont for awhile. I guess Ill have to sneak a heater in to keep warm.. :-$

i feel for ya, its 37 here also, and our furnace in the duplex is broken, so we dont have heat here either at the moment. Glad i am goin on vacation for a week, get out of a cold for a while.

stfitts

Reaction score
Why don't you guys send some of that cold weather down here in central Fl??

I'm really thinking about doing a good detail on my jeep. I've never waxed so I am not sure if I want to go and attempt something I have never done on the old barney mobile. I'll take some better pics tomorrow.

Anyone got any recommendations on good car wash liquids to pick up at wal-mart with maybe a $30 budget?

How hard is it to hand wax?

Anyone have any good,bad, ugly problems?

Thanks
Shawn

2003KJ

Reaction score
stfitts said:
Why don't you guys send some of that cold weather down here in central Fl??

I'm really thinking about doing a good detail on my jeep. I've never waxed so I am not sure if I want to go and attempt something I have never done on the old barney mobile. I'll take some better pics tomorrow.

Anyone got any recommendations on good car wash liquids to pick up at wal-mart with maybe a $30 budget?

How hard is it to hand wax?

Anyone have any good,bad, ugly problems?

Thanks
Shawn

It all depends on what kinda wax you use. IMO, the store brand liquid types dont really work as well as the paste types. My favorite wax of choice is Rejex, which i've never seen in stores and I had to order it. See this thread for details on Rejex. Also, this thread for my results after using Rejex.

If you would prefer to go the paste type wax route, the Meguires Gold Class works good, but is a pain to take off (flakes everywhere).

Make sure you have a nice bag od Terry Towels to use, if you're like me you'll use several of them during the process.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Hmm, I always thought meguiars paste was easy to take off? :-s

You really need to try Rejex....the stuff comes right back off with barely even a rub, and it leaves a hell of a shine. You just have to leave it out of the elements for 12 hours for it to completely set it. So I waxed mine at like 11pm-midnight and by the time i was headed out to run some errands and pick up lunch the next day it was good to go.

Jman

Reaction score
New guy here. Picked up my 2006 Liberty Sport (6spd) on Monday.

I have done extensive detailing on previous vehicles but the Jeep presents a new challenge with the unpainted plastic fenders etc..

1. What do you use to keep that plastic looking good (just armour-all or?).

2. When you are waxing the painted areas how are you masking or blocking off the plastic areas? Getting wax off the textured surface would be a royal pain.

Great site, look forward to talking more with you.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jman said:
1. What do you use to keep that plastic looking good (just armour-all or?)..
Thats what i use. It seems to work great so far. An alternative to that could be the new Turtle wax ICE detailing spray. It similar to Armor all and does pretty much the same job(looks better in some cases) but is a little more expensive.

I Use armor all, on pretty much anything. mirrors, door handles, Trim, can use it inside on your dash as well.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, in your case, armour all will be fine. I use meguiars ASD but that kinda pricey where you live.

If your series about keeping wax off the fenders, blue painters tape is what I use. Takes awhile to mask everything off but it works great!

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jman said:
Getting wax off the textured surface would be a royal pain.

I have wax on the black things like the door handles and roof racks and cannot seem to get it off; any ideas?

Thanks...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow a lot has been added since i left for vacation. Yes wet sanding should be left to the pro's, may i ask what you need to have wetsanded? looks like it will be to cold for me here to get some detailing pics up, unless i get a good stretch of weather here in wisconsin.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright as like i said before, I had hoped for a nice day here in wisconsin, so that i could get some sealant put on my jeep in order to protect it for winter. I wanted to try so new sealant to see how it will hold up to winter here. Here are a bunch of pictures from me detailing the outside of my jeep last week. These pictures were taken today, so the jeep might be a tad dusty as it has been driven about 50 miles or so since it was cleaned.

here is a little artistic shot for you. Meguiars are the normal products that i typically use. This time i used KSG (Klasse Sealant Glaze)
You must be registered for see images

full shot of jeep outside

side shot

another side shot

relefction shot

wheels got a coat of the sealant also

shinny like whoa

shinny

and of course promoting the site that brings us together

picture quality went down the crapper thanks to the hosting service i use. thanks a lot ](*,) ](*,) i think i might have to find a new place to host pictures that wont rob from the quality. If anyone would like to see high res pictures let me know and i can email them or something.

Dont forget to protect your jeeps over the winter, sure playing in the snow is fun, but protect the paint and the jeep will be even happier.