KJ Country Detailing Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im making this thread because I know that there are some people on here, that like to keep their KJ clean. I know I am one of them. I am making this thread to try and get people to share their processes for detailing their KJ. I am a professional detailer, and have been detailing cars for the past 3 years. I am willing to answer any questions that you might have about cleaning your right. I have experiance with most Meguiars products.

My current process on my KJ is:
Wash with Meguiars NXT soap via the 2-bucket method.
Clay entire surface with Sonus detailing clay.
Clay is lubed with Sonus lube.
Klasse AIO applied via dewalt rotary buffer.
Wax with Meguiars NXT.
Up keep of paint and removal of dust is provided by Sonus Detailing Spritz.

Next week I will have taken off all the old wax and will apply the Klasse Twins for winter protection.

here are two pictures to please the crowd:
You must be registered for see images

I figure we can discuss detailing of each other's KJ's here.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill post pics in the next week of my paint after a good detail.

-Clean underside if Ive been offroading..
-Wash engine with simple green or other degreaser..
-Wash paint with GC meguiars soap. 2 bucket method..
-clay paint while its still wet using water as a lubricant.. Seems to work good and not scratch anything..
-Meguiars #80 or #83 if needed
-Meguiars #7
-Meguiars Nxt wax
-2 coats of Meguairs #26..
-Use meguiars ASD under hood and in fender wells
-Meguiars endurnace tire shine on tires.
-meguiars DC1, DC#7, and #26 on chrome rims
-Meguiars GC leather care on leather seats.
-Meguiars Natural shine on dash
-Rainx on all outside windows
-Stoners invisible glass cleaner.

I think thats about it. Its a good days work in all. lol

I may not use the NXT this time and see what the shine is like. I just love the candy coating it gives, seems to protect awhile too..

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
2003KJ said:

I just figured I would make a new thread, I have read that one before, and nobody has posted in it for a while. Why not make something new to show everyone.

Oh no it's not a problem at all...i just didn't know if you had seen that one or not....this weekend maybe once I get the Jeep washed up and providing we get some good weather I might take it out and get some good pics...trying to head the mountains if not this weekend, definately next.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ, have you ever had any water spots on your side windows? I have a ton on mine and was thinking about trying some steel wool. I noticed you use that and was wondering how its worked out for ya.. O:)

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Oh no it's not a problem at all...i just didn't know if you had seen that one or not....this weekend maybe once I get the Jeep washed up and providing we get some good weather I might take it out and get some good pics...trying to head the mountains if not this weekend, definately next.

Thats cool. I am currently uploading some pictures of my setup in my garage. Just a few of the many supplies that are out there right now.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ, have you ever had any water spots on your side windows? I have a ton on mine and was thinking about trying some steel wool. I noticed you use that and was wondering how its worked out for ya.. O:)

Steel wool works good for everything. Great for cleaning windows, as well as chrome. Just make sure you get #0000 grade steel wool. They sell it in packs of 16 pads at walmart for under 3 bucks

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
jeepjeepster said:

Steel wool works good for everything. Great for cleaning windows, as well as chrome. Just make sure you get #0000 grade steel wool. They sell it in packs of 16 pads at walmart for under 3 bucks

holy hell somebody else who knows the steel whool trick!

It works GREAT on the exterior windows...just DO NOT use it on the side mirrors as it will scratch them just enough that when the sun hits them you'll see it. It's awesome at getting bug guts off the windshield with little to no effort. Just take one of the pads, break it in half (save the other half for next time), add some of your favorite liquid dish soap (dawn or palmolive...doesn't really matter), and then damp the pad a little bit. Then scrub down the outside windows making sure they are wet of course, and rinse off and you're done.

This is step #2 in my washing process, which is after cleaning the wheels. Reason is dish soap tends to leave a slimey residue on the paint, so if i do it before i wash the rest of the jeep with my normal car soap, the slimey feel is not a problem. \:D/

I have been doing this since the day I bought my Jeep and do not have any water spots on my windows.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some more pictures for everyone, if there are any questions about anything feel free to ask.

The Renegade in its home, waiting for some new chemicals to arrive.

gotta represent the best chemicals in the world. anyone jealous of my flag. Its made or heavy duty nylon, not just a crappy poster.

where most my stuff resides.

all my stuff nice and neatly shown on floor

whats in dewalt bag #1 you ask?

by golly theres a lot of products in there. Not shown is clay bar, and all my various brushes that are also stored in the bag.

well whats in dewalt bag #2 then? well its the high speed rotary buffer, and my pads that need a good cleaning before then next detail.

then whats in the bins? hmm how about bin #1, well how about wax applicators, terry cloth, and microfiber towels.

lastly bin #2 with the wheel cleaners, bug/tar remover, meguiars gc soap, and also meguiars nxt anti-static soap. Also pictured are my two buckets for the two bucket washing method

Yikes that was a long post, Well if there are any questions about my products lemme know. This is just the bulk of my products I have used many others, just didnt wanna clutter my whole garage doing it. There are also rollinig stools, halogen lamps on stands for seeing paint defects, and many other meguiars products.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

It works GREAT on the exterior windows...just DO NOT use it on the side mirrors as it will scratch them just enough that when the sun hits them you'll see it. It's awesome at getting bug guts off the windshield with little to no effort. Just take one of the pads, break it in half (save the other half for next time), add some of your favorite liquid dish soap (dawn or palmolive...doesn't really matter), and then damp the pad a little bit. Then scrub down the outside windows making sure they are wet of course, and rinse off and you're done.

This is step #2 in my washing process, which is after cleaning the wheels. Reason is dish soap tends to leave a slimey residue on the paint, so if i do it before i wash the rest of the jeep with my normal car soap, the slimey feel is not a problem. \:D/

I have been doing this since the day I bought my Jeep and do not have any water spots on my windows.

yes you nailed the trick right on the head, breaking the steel wool in half, then its a lot easier to use. I have been doing this for quite some time, not one water spot on my windows, although i have a goot coat of rain x on all the windows anyway.

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
2003KJ said:

yes you nailed the trick right on the head, breaking the steel wool in half, then its a lot easier to use. I have been doing this for quite some time, not one water spot on my windows, although i have a goot coat of rain x on all the windows anyway.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of Rain-X too...matter of fact I need to pick some more up when I run out to the store tonight.

I see you also use Westley's Bleach White....great stuff!

man it seems as if we have alot of the same detailing supplies... \:D/

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of Rain-X too...matter of fact I need to pick some more up when I run out to the store tonight.

Yea when the supplies are some of the best stuff out there its not surprizing that some of the stuff is commonly used. Bleach white is some great stuff, I gotta get the refill bottle next time I go out.

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
2003KJ said:

Yea when the supplies are some of the best stuff out there its not surprizing that some of the stuff is commonly used. Bleach white is some great stuff, I gotta get the refill bottle next time I go out.

I think it's safe to say you live in the auto-detailing department of wal-mart as much as I do?...lol!

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
especko said:
2003KJ said:

I think it's safe to say you live in the auto-detailing department of wal-mart as much as I do?...lol!

just when i need some simple products like tire shine and what not. the rest of my stuff that is a little more known as actual quality detailing stuff i buy online, for example my Sonus Products, and Klasse

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has seen mine 10 times, but since this is the official detailing thread.. I have some more stuff coming from Autodetailingsolutions.com..

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Thats not GC soap, its DC soap especko.. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hey i like that picture of your Jeep at the dealership....especially like everybody looking at it with that "is that a liberty???" look on their face. Whats the story behind that one?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Hey i like that picture of your Jeep at the dealership....especially like everybody looking at it with that "is that a liberty???" look on their face. Whats the story behind that one?

Hehe, a local club help a "Show and Shine" at our local dealership to promote their club(Kentucky Krawlers). Its was kinda fun although I felt alittle out of place since all the other jeeps were ******** with 6" lifts and all. They were nice to me but they were all good buds so I felt alittle out of place. Its was a nice experience though. They said anytime I needed a trail guide to give them a call and they would show me around..

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ said:

Hehe, a local club help a "Show and Shine" at our local dealership to promote their club(Kentucky Krawlers). Its was kinda fun although I felt alittle out of place since all the other jeeps were ******** with 6" lifts and all. They were nice to me but they were all good buds so I felt alittle out of place. Its was a nice experience though. They said anytime I needed a trail guide to give them a call and they would show me around..

Awesome! And coming from a bunch of TJ and YJ guys too!

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gets the bugs off?

What gets the bugs off?

I remember my dad using baking soda when I was a kid but now it doesn't seem to do much. I've also tried naptha and some so called "bug remover" but nothing seems to get it all off.

What's the secret?