KJ Country Detailing Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, keeping a good coat of wax on them makes it ALOT easier to get bugs off. If dont have wax on it, get a towel and soap it up in a bucket with some car wash soap. Lay the towel over the bugs and let them soak for 20-30min. After that, wash the area where the bugs are with a regular car sponge and they should come right off. O:)

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7932&page=2

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Everyone has seen mine 10 times, but since this is the official detailing thread.. I have some more stuff coming from Autodetailingsolutions.com..

Edit: Thats not GC soap, its DC soap especko.. O:)

I just placed an order for some stuff from autopia-carcare.com

my bad forgot which soaps where all in there, i rarely use that stuff anymore, basically its been demoted to soap that cleans my golf clubs. I strickly use the NXT soap nowadays, sometimes i use meguiars hyper wash also.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
jeepjeepster said:
Everyone has seen mine 10 times, but since this is the official detailing thread.. I have some more stuff coming from Autodetailingsolutions.com..

Edit: Thats not GC soap, its DC soap especko.. O:)

I just placed an order for some stuff from autopia-carcare.com

my bad forgot which soaps where all in there, i rarely use that stuff anymore, basically its been demoted to soap that cleans my golf clubs. I strickly use the NXT soap nowadays, sometimes i use meguiars hyper wash also.

What all did you get? I ordered a sample of #80, #83, and All season dressing.. I bought me another waffle weave water magnet at oreillys the other day too.

That stuff is just so expensive.. I only ordered samples. I dont detail me jeep every weekend so 12oz's of #80 should do me just fine..

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Well, a good coat of wax if one of the best ways to get them off if the wax is already on. If not, get a towel and soap it up in a bucket with some car wash soap. Lay the towel over the bugs and let them soak for 20-30min. After that, wash the area where the bugs are with a regular car sponge and they should come right off. O:)

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7932&page=2

Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I'll throw in my routine. If I'm short on time, I'll use the Mr. Clean stuff. However, most of the time, I was it once or twice completely with the Rain-X car wash that has carnuba wax in it as it suds up very well. Then, as I'm drying it, I use the wax as you dry spray on stuff. Finally, I put on a coat of Zymol (or lately the Eagle One Nanowax is awesome). To top it, the tires get cleaned with the Mother's wipe on stuff I bought. It gets really really shiny this way.

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My detailing routine includes:

1. Pull into parking lot at work.
2.Drop of my keys with the guy who owns the car wash business in lot.
3.He hand washes,hand drys exterior, vacuums interior and steam cleans any interior spots.
4.Pick up my keys and pay him on the way out.
5.Drive home

O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pssbarry said:
My detailing routine includes:

1. Pull into parking lot at work.
2.Drop of my keys with the guy who owns the car wash business in lot.
3.He hand washes,hand drys exterior, vacuums interior and steam cleans any interior spots.
4.Pick up my keys and pay him on the way out.
5.Drive home

O:)

Not bad. Everytime I take the Jeep to get washed though, they miss a spot that drives me crazy and I feel like I've been scammed. Not to mention my mirrors and seats are always moved and the stereo is on a spanish station. chairshot.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My front bumper is fading, i don't know that's gotten there, but it looks weird, not shining or anything anymore.. I love your jeep. That garage shot is unbeliavable.. is that when you got it first? That's the cleanest driven jeep I have ever seen.. even better than brand new ones. My paint is all bumpy and it's not smooth, ny streets are like jungle.

Nice cat! :) yours?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
What all did you get? I ordered a sample of #80, #83, and All season dressing.. I bought me another waffle weave water magnet at oreillys the other day too.

That stuff is just so expensive.. I only ordered samples. I dont detail me jeep every weekend so 12oz's of #80 should do me just fine..

I got some Klasse SG, and some Sonus wheel cleaner. So now i have the Klasse twins (AIO and SG) to put on the jeep for winter protection. Nice picture of the jeep in the garage, i see a kitty cat by your back tire, looks like one of the cats that I have.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
especko said:
hyedipin said:
My paint is all bumpy and it's not smooth, ny streets are like jungle.

Claybar can fix that.

I gotta check that stuff, but I am afraid it will leave residue.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
especko said:
hyedipin said:

Claybar can fix that.

nope just make sure that the surface is first washed, then when the car is still wet or with some sort of lubrication like quick detailer, or just water, gently rub the clay over the surface until it is smooth. Let the clay do the work, then rinse the car fully, and dry it off. Then remember to wax the surface afterwards for a nice smooth finish

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
My front bumper is fading, i don't know that's gotten there, but it looks weird, not shining or anything anymore.. I love you jeep. That garage shot is unbeliavable.. is that when you got it first? That's the cleanest driven jeep I have ever seen.. even better than brand new ones. My paint is all bumpy and it's not smooth, ny streets are like jungle.

Yup, thats my kitty. His name is bubbles.. I like my cats!

nope, that was taken about 2 months ago when it was around 2.5yrs old. I take good care of my jeep. \:D/

You must be registered for see images attach

Stupid bugs. Makes the front end look awful with the flash.

Sorry, Im getting off topic! :-$

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
especko said:
hyedipin said:

Claybar can fix that.

Just adding to what especko said. I used water last time I used the clay and it worked out great. usually you need to wash the car, dry it, then use quick detailer with the clay, then dry the QD off.

With the water, I kept the water hose over my sholder and kept spraying water on the area I was working on. I found out that if I didnt the clay would stick and not do a good job. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool Cat, i like it. :) but what I hate is that fur they leave behind!

Today I found maguires clay bar set, that included two bars + quick cleaner + sample wax + cloth. It is $20 w/tx, i had just run out to pick up my wife, so had no cash, skipped on it. But I might end up buying that. Or mothers clay bar which is not coming with anything.

Since i have NOTHING else to follow up, that set might be a good choice. (G1016 Smooth Surface) since it comes with Quik Detailer I won't need to use our rough water to lubricate.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions

I have some Noob questions as I never did anything outside of wash w/ soap and water:

Does waxing cut or harm the clear coat resulting in a duller finish in the long term as they are tiny abrasives?

Do you need to 'buff' with a rotary tool?

Has anybody used Turtle Super Hard Shell wax where you just hand apply? How does it compare to others?

Once I start to wax, must I keep it up from that point forward?

Any tips ie must keep wet when applying...

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Questions

liberator said:
I have some Noob questions as I never did anything outside of wash w/ soap and water:

Does waxing cut or harm the clear coat resulting in a duller finish in the long term as they are tiny abrasives?

Has anybody used Turtle Super Hard Shell wax where you just hand apply? How does it compare to others?

buffing with a rotary tool is mainly for professionals and people with the experience. Its mainly for removing scratches and making the paint shine. When you buff with a rotary buffer, you do infact remove clear coat. However just regular waxing does not, its actually adding a film to the surface. And no it wont harm the finish, it helps it become more smoother and makes it more shinny. Once you wax you really should keep doing it every so often, but some people dont for some reason. Im a little nuts when it comes to detailing, so i could never not wax my vehicles.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Questions

liberator said:

Well, especko already answered most of your questions. As far as the Turtle Wax, there are better options out there. Turtle wax has always seemed like the bargain brand of waxes. And personally, I wouldnt worry about a rotary tool. I can get vehicles awfully close to show quality by just using enough elbow grease and taking my time. Oh, and a trick that seems to work pretty well, especially in warmer weather, is to get a spray bottle and spray the area you just waxed and then wipe it off to get rid of any excess. It depends on the wax on if youll need to do this.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Yup, thats my kitty. His name is bubbles.. I like my cats!

nope, that was taken about 2 months ago when it was around 2.5yrs old. I take good care of my jeep. \:D/

Sorry, Im getting off topic! :-$

like i said your cat looks pretty close to one of mine cept mine is a girl, her name is Kiwi
You must be registered for see images

and just for the heck of it, a picture of my other cat, his name is Snarf. in one of his favorite places, the bathroom sink

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW 8-[ 8-[

I cannot believe how much stuff you lads use... Impressive..

My regime is a little easier than yours...

1, Use Bosch Pressure washer to get rid off grit etc
2, Wash with $5 wash and wax from ASDA (wal-mart) with woolen mitt
3, Use $6 alloy wheel cleaner from same place
4, Use 'Brillo Pad' on tyre white lettering
5, Pressure wash off and chamois
(note I do the wash and rinse sequentially on roof, front, side(s), rear)

If its very lucky it gets Auto Glym Super Resin Polish or Meguiars next gen.
Also Auto Glym Glass Cleaner..
..Rain Off do a disposable wipe for the windscreen... they are sweet!!