Is the Renegade worth the extra $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Like most have said it is just a personal preference. The Renegade will not take you places that the other KJs can't go. I bought mine because mine did come with the skid package, light bar, alternator and I think the flat hood and grill looks a whole lot better than the rounded one. If they never made the flat hooded Renny I would have bought another TJ or an LJ because I don't like the looks of the other models enough to buy one.

Unless of course your KJ was manufactured after 2002!
Because we have all read in another thread that any Jeep Liberty built after 2002 wasn't meant to be seriously used as an "Off Road" vehicle!:D

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Unless of course your KJ was manufactured after 2002!
Because we have all read in another thread that any Jeep Liberty built after 2002 wasn't meant to be seriously used as an "Off Road" vehicle!:D

Very true... :rolleyes: ;)

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the renny was worth it!
Granted mine looks a lot different than it came from the factory, but what you get with the renny package, upgraded alternator, roof lights, bumper mounted fogs, rails, badging, and on the older(02-04) the "roof rack" But I thought it was worth it just for the upgraded 160amp alternator bumper mounted fogs, and roof lights. Plus if you get it, you can sell the stuff that you do not want because people are lookin for good deals!

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was talking about the little renegade badge... yeah I know not realy anything special.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who is "they":confused:

The same people who told the guy who bought a 4 door wrangler
"you dont need 4wd with all the traction control stuff on modern Jeeps"
Then he showed up to a trail ride and was like "what do you mean I have to find a passenger seat ,this is a new Jeep and has traction control so I dont need 4wd"

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
They put trail rated badges on 2wd Jeeps also.

You been smokin too much GHANGA and or drinking Troy!
Any "Off road" prepared KJ after 2002 is just as capable as an off road vehicle as yours was while yours was still Independent front suspension!
That "Statement" you made about Jeep Liberty's made after 2002 really was an asinine, ridiculous stupid comment!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not from the factory...
Sure do,the trail rated badge is just a advertising gimmick to sell to stupid people that believe everything Joe Blow tells them .

So what about '03 Wrangler Rubicons,not 1 every left the factory with a trail rated badge,so I guess that makes them not trail worthy.
You been smokin too much GHANGA and or drinking Troy!
Any "Off road" prepared KJ after 2002 is just as capable as an off road vehicle as yours was while yours was still Independent front suspension!
That "Statement" you made about Jeep Liberty's made after 2002 really was an asinine, ridiculous stupid comment!
Should have worded it differently,they where marketed differently and not as a wheeling vehicle like a Wrangler is.

When it came out in '02 and was targeted as the XJ replacement but was shunned due to IFS so they starting in '03-'04 they started marketing to another type of people but the '03+ KJ's wheel just about the same as the '02's('02's don't suffer from the trans overheating issues that often happens in the 42RLE KJ's when they are offroad and not in 4low).

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what about '03 Wrangler Rubicons,not 1 every left the factory with a trail rated badge,so I guess that makes them not trail worthy.

Ya think they didn't put them on Rubicon's due to the Rubicon actually being equiped for the Rubicon? Might just be a bit redundant. They are Rubicon worthy. ;)

Ennyways I never seen a 2wd with Trail Rated, advertising gimmick as it might be, and we gots plenty of 'em around here. Until I see something from the factory as proof I'll believe someone or some dealer put them on. Kinda like I added one to the right side of mine. They're cheap on ebay.

smcbride11

Reaction score
Heavy duty transfer case?

A 231 in a KJ is a 231 in a KJ

The '04 Renegades (at least '04, I'm not sure about '02-'03) with CommandTrac PT 4x4 came with the 231HD transfer case... not the 231. Whether there's a real functional difference, I don't know, but there is a difference.

Either way, the point of my post was that no, I wouldn't buy a Renny again ;)

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Argh) My rene had no skid plates when i bought it... but, I could tell it used to. No idea why they'd save the plates and sell the rig. Nothing about this rig suggests it was built up, so i doubt they were high dollar razoo plates. someone probly needed some cash and sold them on ebay

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
They put trail rated badges on 2wd Jeeps also.

Originally Posted by Hoosierjeeper
Not from the factory...
Sure do,the trail rated badge is just a advertising gimmick to sell to stupid people that believe everything Joe Blow tells them .

http://www.jeep.com/en/2009/wrangler_unlimited/capability/capability_tour/

A Jeep Trail Rated® badge is found on all 4x4s that pass a series of grueling tests designed to proved off-road capability on the world’s most demanding terrain.

There are five main categories of testing:

* Traction
* Ground Clearance
* Water Fording
* Maneuverability
* Articulation

NOTICE: it says 4X4s.

and

tjkj2002 Quote:

This might explain why the '03 didn't have a Trail Rated badge.

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/trail-rated.php

In 2004 Jeep started using a special "Trail Rated" badge on certain Jeep vehicles to mark that that vehicle trail worthy according to Jeep's specifications.

IT WASN'T FREAKIN AVAILABLE YET!

Google is your friend.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online