Is the Renegade worth the extra $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All about opinion which is very cool because we get to see plenty of different libbys. For me, its the 02-04 front end look. Bought my KJ in last january 1st so i had plenty of choice on year/model. It was clear, Cutest one is 2004 front end and it had to be red which actually limited my choices lot more then i thought it would. Second, I needed something i could play on, errr, modify, Renee wasnt good for me as everything would have been already there :p. Having too many hobbies makes my mods progress rather slow on my libby but itll get there. There is still no way ill ever mod rocky (yeah its his name and its a boy in the rocky mountain edition) up to a SFA ... nahhh Dont have all that money to spend and i wont do that much of offroad adventure. I quite happy with the non flat hood, sorry guys its ugly to me :) but i respect the fact you all love it. I am VERY jealous of the DARK RED color on the 05+ KJ !! If i ever repaint it, thats what i want !! Would've taken the lightbars but 800$ canadian money for that ?!! No way, ill just make myself one along the roof basket. Junk yards are all out KJ lightbars, but i keep seing old GMC and Ford pickup trucks that fitted them on their roofs ... makes me mad !! Anyway,working in a truck parts store i have all resources to have fun on my libby !! I also LOVE to see all you guys showing pictures of mud pics and mods pics. Seing plenty of great ideas makes it easier to yourself in knowing what you need and want !!

milkman

Reaction score
not all rennes are made equel i hav e seen some wiyhout light bar also my friend has one that only has the skids with no hooks there were different grades of renne i believe--but i love my sport loaded with skids and hooks on the way its a 7-07 one of the last ones built of this stile

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's up to you...

Would I pay thousands more for a Renny over a standard? No. You can add the light bar. I hate the riveted flares. I used to love the flat hood, but my Sport's front end has certainly grown on me over the last 2.5 years of ownership.

OEM skids and rails can be found for good prices if you're patient. Same with Renny wheels.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Before the KJ, I wanted another GC.....but I got the KJ!!! It was the right decision... :D

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry my english isnt perfect, main language is french in Quebec :(
perhaps, most eye appealing would do it ? :p
Considering i was looking at Rav4, Escape, Xterra and bought the Liberty ... with no regrets except the Chrysler electronics .... lolll Gotta have something.... cant be perfect for 20 000$ right !!

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my '05 Rene four months ago because I liked the "look" better than the Sport, and the price was right ($7,800 with 38k miles). I just like that it looks different than all the other Libbys, though I love them all. The only differences from the Sport on mine are:
- The Rene flares
- The Rene wheels
- The Rene hood and front bumper mounted fogs
- Rene rock rails
- Front and rear tow hooks

Bruce

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Like most have said it is just a personal preference. The Renegade will not take you places that the other KJs can't go. I bought mine because mine did come with the skid package, light bar, alternator and I think the flat hood and grill looks a whole lot better than the rounded one. If they never made the flat hooded Renny I would have bought another TJ or an LJ because I don't like the looks of the other models enough to buy one.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's up to you...

Would I pay thousands more for a Renny over a standard? No. You can add the light bar. I hate the riveted flares. I used to love the flat hood, but my Sport's front end has certainly grown on me over the last 2.5 years of ownership.

OEM skids and rails can be found for good prices if you're patient. Same with Renny wheels.

werd

smcbride11

Reaction score
I've got an '04 Renny. Given the choice, I would not get the Renegade again off the lot. Buying used, though, I'd probably go for the Renny if it weren't significantly more money (within $1k, I'd say).

The things I like and wouldn't want to do without on the '02-'04 Renny are the flares and the heavy duty transfer case (on the CommandTrac PT 4x4 models, anyway).

I took the plastic roof rack off the first month I owned her (saving 2 mpg), so that was a useless piece... The factory tow hooks are problematic if you want a hitch, since they're not compatible - you end up with the hitch and take the tow hooks out.

If I had it all to do again, I'd add an aftermarket light bar and skids, get a set of Skink Sliders or Boulder Bars, probably install a rear bumper for the hitch and shackles... and it would all cost less than the Renegade package did.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heavy duty transfer case?

A 231 in a KJ is a 231 in a KJ

Ha ha
be carful
This one got me in trouble some place else
some KJ's at some point came with an NP241
not to be confused with the NV241J that comes in the Rubicon only
seems that some can not under stand that there is a very big difference
between the NP231 the NP241 and the NV241J
I know what it is
NV241J is in a class all it's own
The NP241 has a larger chain and larger input shaft and a few other things
including the ability to hold 3/4 or so more oil
all of which can be done to a 231 besides the extra oil
but dont tell the guys with the NP241 that vertel.gif

not like it really matters any way
you will blow the front diff long before you damage the weaker 242 so a 231 is still more than enough

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online