I want a Locker!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that when you're locked and driving in the rain that you'll be spinning tires a lot more?

Doesn't it make a bunch of noise when going around turns and such for daily driving?

No, no more tire spin. Noise, yes.

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of misconceptions out there regarding automatic lockers. I'm not saying that there are any here, but I would recommend anyone who has a chance to try driving a vehicle with one installed. You won't even notice it, except in really tight low speed turns, i.e. in a parking lot, and with your foot on the gas. All you have to do is step off the gas for a second and the locker will ratchet. And think of all the attention you will get with that ratcheting noise, everyone will think your an idiot driving with a blown cv joint!
I daily drive my locked 4runner on 36x15.5x15s and can use only my thumbs if I want to.
Granted a selectable is even better, sometimes you really don't want your rear locked, like in an off-camber parking lot between two parked cars in the snow, nasty!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
But at the end of the day, Aussie comes here and blows smoke up everones A$$ first!
Remember that everybody!

Then they suck up!

It is us the buying publc that makes sure they sell their product!
So, like it or not, they have to respect the customer first before the customer
can respect their product and then their company...
That's how it works with retail!

The customer is always right...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
But at the end of the day, Aussie comes here and blows smoke up everones A$$ first!
Remember that everybody!

Then they suck up!

It is us the buying publc that makes sure they sell their product!
So, like it or not, they have to respect the customer first before the customer
can respect their product and then their company...
That's how it works with retail!

The customer is always right...

Such anger.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of misconceptions out there regarding automatic lockers. I'm not saying that there are any here, but I would recommend anyone who has a chance to try driving a vehicle with one installed. You won't even notice it, except in really tight low speed turns, i.e. in a parking lot, and with your foot on the gas.......

Eh...not sure I agree 100% here. I had a powertrax no-slip in my ford ranger, and like you stated, for the most part i didn't notice it....but you did have to be careful when going thru turns in rain or other slippery conditions. you have to stay out of the gas while going thru the turn or you could lock up the rear and cause it to spin out.

now that i think about it, you had to stay out of the pedal even when it was dry, because torque is what locked the locker into place, and you couldn't have too much torque going through the wheels or the locker wouldn't disengage, which is almost just as bad.

one other issue, you couldn't stomp on the gas coming right out of a turn either, because the locker teeth are over-running each other until they sync back up, and if you stomped on the pedal too soon before the gears were sync'd, you would get a nasty popping noise as they re-engaged.

you basically had to change your driving style just a bit to accommodate the locker in the rear.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for some reason the powertrax didn't exhibit any of the ratcheting noise...it would only pop occasionally when re-engaging.

one other issue it seemed to have too, was when backing up and turning (i.e., backing out of a parking space) it would sometimes feel like the rear-end was binding up...i'm guessing the locker wasn't disengaging...not too sure...only happened every now and then.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hear my Aussie talking quite often,sure does get some comments from "experts". I like it,so far.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get Detroit
no noise ,clicks ,pops, or bangs
hardly know it is there on road
know for sure it is there off road
a GREAT track record for strength ,no need to fight over a broken one

yeah you can lock and unlock an ARB but they also have failure points
and I have 1 up front so I know how good they are
but with the Detroit out back I hardly need it