I want a Locker!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about having a locker put on my rear differential. So I wana ask you guys which one should I get? I wana get one that's affordable.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aussie is the most affordable ( that I know) and fron what I've heard it's pretty reliable, ridenby is running one, but there's also one guy here that broke one, I'm ordering one in mid/late feb. But I wanna know why they break, so I won't break it :D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to trade mine in for a 4wd because I've put so much into my current KJ. It's got new brakes and rotors and I just recently changed the coolant and ****** fluid. The lockers the way to go for me right now.

But don't worry I will buy a 4wd jeep someday ;)

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberty84 right now an aussie sounds like the way to go. Do you know how much it costs for a mechanic to install?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I can understand and see your point about having invested(But not really an investment)
on you Liberty...
But at the end of the day, trading in your Liberty for a 4X4 KJ would be a better buy.
A stock Four wheel drive KJ without a locker, it will go places your two
wheel drive Liberty with a rear locker installed can only dream of going!
Money more wisely spent!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the aussie or any luchbo locker,think they pulled the 8.25 aussie off the market due to they messed up the design pretty bad..

Due yourself a favor and invest in a real locker like the Detroit or ARB.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I kinda agree with Ryan....it would be different if you needed a locker just for driving on road in bad weather. Maybe get an old XJ, YJ or something and use the KJ as a tow rig..

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really intend to keep the vehicle, save a bit more money, and put a real locker in it. I have the detroit TrueTrac in teh rear of my 05, and while is is worlds above an open diff and clutch type lsd, it still is worlds behind the Detroit NoSpin.

My 02 KJ had a Powertrax lunchbox locker in it...right up until it grenaded itself. The vehicle was not used for anything crazy. It was my Dads wheels at the time, and he had a 4 mile long dirt road to drive down every day....the Powertrax ate itself.

I have had the NoSpin in my 02 Dodge 2500, 02 3500 dually, and my 95 chevy. All of these vehicles were 2wd and the difference in capability between the peg-leg drive and the true locker is amazing. With a full-on locker, you will have to learn to drive smooth in and out of turns, or you will feel teh vehicle buck and bronk and the locker does it's thing. Not a big deal really to relearn how to drive in and out of the turns.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Due yourself a favor and invest in a real locker like the Detroit or ARB.

+1
The Aussie is noisy and clanky, first off. While it doesn't say much for the guy in question, but pulled into the parking lot of another shop in the company ThunderbirdJunkie worked for, and one of the mechanics came out and said "MAN you need a transfer case!". He's an idiot, but you get the point about the noise... You're WAY better off spending the $700-800 installed for a Detroit, because $800 is cheaper than $320 shipped for the Aussie and then buying a Detroit later. Have had the Aussie in the KJ for about a year and close to 30k miles. Diggerfreek had his installed for what, 4 or 5,000 miles and it was worn out to the point that it allowed no forward motion.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1
The Aussie is noisy and clanky, first off. While it doesn't say much for the guy in question, but pulled into the parking lot of another shop in the company ThunderbirdJunkie worked for, and one of the mechanics came out and said "MAN you need a transfer case!". He's an idiot, but you get the point about the noise... You're WAY better off spending the $700-800 installed for a Detroit, because $800 is cheaper than $320 shipped for the Aussie and then buying a Detroit later. Have had the Aussie in the KJ for about a year and close to 30k miles. Diggerfreek had his installed for what, 4 or 5,000 miles and it was worn out to the point that it allowed no forward motion.
X2...............

Though if you can swing it the ARB is the way to go,totally invisible until you want it 100% locked.I ran my ARB in my 8.25 for 48,000miles(then SFA'd my KJ) with zero issues with the ARB,always worked and worked real well.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^wow....you Diggerized it.......:D

Dave

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why all the fuss about the Powertrax...I had one in my Ford Ranger for over 40K miles, no issues. That was with 33" tires to boot.

Now, it was mostly highway driving...only off-roading was either in snow or mud, didn't really trail-ride with it, but that locker was sweet. I could get thru stuff in 2wd most times. And there's nothing cooler than throwing rooster tails from both tires when going thru mud! :D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm not sure why all the fuss about the Powertrax...I had one in my Ford Ranger for over 40K miles, no issues. That was with 33" tires to boot.

Now, it was mostly highway driving...only off-roading was either in snow or mud, didn't really trail-ride with it, but that locker was sweet. I could get thru stuff in 2wd most times. And there's nothing cooler than throwing rooster tails from both tires when going thru mud! :D

Different application?
I would probably granade an Aussie of Power crap!
Hell, I have blown a Salisbury type LSD in my Mini (That only had 115 hp and 98 foot pounds of torque!) several times now!
And those aint cheap either for an A series engine!

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
+1

TBJ why do you speak about yourself in 3rd person all the time? just curious lol