How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, was researching brake rotors and I came across this thread.

I have 220,470 miles on my pre-lowered '02 Limited.

I drive mostly highway and change the oil every 5000 miles with synthetic Mobil-1. For a while I was driving over 1000 miles a week and was doing an oil change every month. I average 500 miles a week now, but can go 1000 from time-to-time.

So far I've replaced the radiator, AC compressor, transmission solenoid (45RFE), brake pads front and back (drum), 1 window regulator (bought a metal eBay replacement) and 1 window motor.

I think I need new rotors now in the front because when I touch the brakes at 70 MPH I get a violent pulsing in the pedal and steering wheel, at 60 or below it does not shake. The rotors are original OEM. I'm also planning on new shocks/struts/springs all around but the brakes come first. I also could use a new front drivers seat bottom (leather), I've worn a rather large hole in it.

I'm hoping to hit 300,000!

You must be registered for see images attach

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pushing for 300K in mine too... but I'm only at 186K currently.

dmblair78

Reaction score
I've got 153K on mine now. Still haven't had one problem with the engine. Only problem I've had with the liberty was a stuck caliper on the rear. That's it. Hell, I've still got the original belt on still (got a new one in the back just in case.) This is by far the most robust/reliable engine I've ever run. I swear she still runs just as strong as the day it had 400 miles on the clock. At the rate I'm going, half million miles isn't out of the question without a rebuild. She doesn't lose one drop of fluid and gas mileage hasn't changed at all! Two thumbs up from this guy!

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 119K on mine now... I've had to replace the water pump, power steering pump, and the O2 sensors. Other than that, not a problem. I still have the original factory battery and brakes on it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Can't believe people are on factory rotors. I get mine a little bit too dirty, so after getting them cut about 2 years ago, I forsee myself replacing them in about another year or 2. I only just hit 80k a few weeks ago.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 159k and have had a few problems. i change ALL of the fluids regularly, rear diff and ****** every 50k, oil every 6k with running mobil 1 5w30 full syn high mileage. only thing i havent changed are the engine coolant and power steering fluid. probably needs a coolant flush.

had the ****** rebuilt at 150k and now it shifts hard in first gear a lot of the time and it jerks when stopping like it doesnt want to downshift from 2nd to 1st until the very end and then jerks. took it back to the ****** shop and after they took it apart and found nothing wrong they told me the ****** learns how you drive and will correct itself out. what a bunch of crap. if i could do it over again id pay the extra money and get a brand new one instead of having it rebuilt. nothing but problems since it was rebuilt.

replaced the precat o2 sensors for routine not for being bad. still have stock cats.

replaced all the coil packs.

replaced battery.

replaced rotors front and rear with slotted oens and hps pads on front and regular pads on back. it stops like a champ now! i got tired of the brakes locking up during moderate braking lol.

the motor doesnt burn oil and seems to be running fine but it feels sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo weak. maybe because its a 210hp motor in a 4000lbs suv and im used to driving a 300hp sports car in a 3000lb body lol. but even still it feels super weak, like theres something small(ish) that can be done to give some power back. might be the stupid ****** and its 4 gears that are huge, a 6speed with smaller gears would be a huge improvement in acceleration and mpgs.

saw some people taking about vavle springs. is there a way to check that theyre in good working order other than opening up the motor? like will the engine run bad or funny is a spring is broke? i feel like i would be able to tell if that were a problem but i honestly dont know.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about to hit 112000 and haven't replaced anything so far. The only issue's I have are a leaky TC and a strange thumping knocking that I've had for the past 35000 miles.

SoonerJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hit 120,000. Replaced water pump, one O2 sensor and battery twice. Runs just like she did when I drove her off the lot.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Can't believe people are on factory rotors. I get mine a little bit too dirty, so after getting them cut about 2 years ago, I forsee myself replacing them in about another year or 2. I only just hit 80k a few weeks ago.

172,000 on my rear stock rotors , fronts replaced at 130,000 but only due to getting a great deal on new OEM ones thought what the heck
front brakes lasted 99,000 miles ( still had wear but I had a new set out of the box so threw them on)
rears lasted 115,000 and still had another 15-18,000 left
have had to replace two 02 sensors so far
OEM water pump/radiator/ almost everything is still stock

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I've already had to replace my brakes and rotors front and rear. I could have had my rotors machined but it was similar price to new ones. I have 59k miles on mine. This is because I live next to the beach and get sand in my brakes like everyday.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over 110K here same tires for past 85K sill 7/32nds left, but niose and dry rotting. OEM brake pads still in rear at 6MM still. I keep waiting to change them, but can't seem to wear them out. Fronts were replaced, but only because the heavier tires were noticable on braking and I picked up EBC Gren Stuff pads for $6.60 when Pepboys discontinued them still have a spare set bought 2. Made just enough improvement to feel like factory brakes again. I have changed all fluids to Synthetic including Trans and PS with my own blend of Dex Antifreeze. Always done oil change every 4-6 months with Full Synthetic 5w20 or 0w20 never looses a drop of oil(burn or leak).

Only repairs are.
Window Regulators at 7 with 3 broken windows now.(just got fed up)
Waterpump(was good but gasket started to leak)
T-stat housing(cracked)
AC vents(3 of these also)
AC Compressor(damn clutch burnt out)
Wiring issue with rear tail light pigtails.
Random Misfire code P300 changed Cam sensor seems to have fixed issue(only comes on at idle)

MAINT
NGK V-power Plugs every 2 years
PCV valve once at 30K
Trans Fluid and Dif's once (need to do again now)
PS fluid once
Coolant 3 times( I live in Vegas)
Alignment every oil change
5 tire Rotation every oil change.

Truck feels strong the trans scares me being a dodge, it has 4 times now over the last 3 years locked into 1st gear and refused to shift until I restarted it usually after a long trip. Also twice died coming to a stop after a long trip like Torque converter wouldn't disengage. Haven't seen any issue's like those in the last year and a half though.

Currently Broken
Window's
Gauge cluster
Front hood shocks
Rear window shocks

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80k miles here and still going strong and no problem so far. You will run into the same issue most of us ran in because well, it's a liberty :p but if you take care of it, not a lot of issue are to plan!

Latest posts

Members online