How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mines at 193,000 on a 2004
Buddy of mines at 224,000 on a 2003
Neither use oil, have any issues
run as good as they did new
I don't see why a 3.7 can't go 300,000 or more

Vicki

Reaction score
I just got one 2006 Liberty a few months ago - I was told the 3.7L engine had head gasket issues and mine is losing some coolant... otherwise I love it.

Last edited:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will go far. I bought mine from a woman who Im surprised now that she even knew how to drive that being said my oil wasn't changed until I bought it... With 160,000 miles on it. So first went the trans. Had it rebuilt by the best guy in my area. The the motor needed to be fully rebuilt. Well it was cheaper to replace the motor with something other than stock. What I've learned is when jeep stuff is going good, everything is great. If something messes up its expensive to fix Jeep stuff. It really just depends on how well the owners take care of their vehicles.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like a few people already said... Don't overheat it! As soon as you notice the temp gauge move much over the halfway mark, pull over! And let it cool off. I had 155,000 on my 02' But I let it overheat a few times, then it dropped a valve. And the engine is trashed.
Like you, I fell in love with this car, and just bought another one. An 04' this time.
I am now in the process of stripping the 02' for all it's parts, especially the $2000 worth of new parts I put into her. Keep an eye open for any coolant leaks, and fix them right away!
In my case I replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, hoses and much more. But it was already too late. Once it's overheated a few times, it wont last long...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
But I let it overheat a few times, then it dropped a valve. And the engine is trashed.

I wouldn't necessarily say trashed - it certainly needs the top end rebuilt... the head of whichever side failed. I've had the passenger-side head on my '02 rebuilt, and everything else is original... and still performing well at 258k miles. That, and it's a lot less expensive than replacing an entire engine.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going for 170k in a few weeks all original. I consume some oil but that wont stop ne from going to infinity and beyond.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got one 2006 Liberty a few months ago - I was told the 3.7L engine had head gasket issues and mine is losing some coolant... otherwise I love it.

They really don't, not any more than any other engine with an aluminium head. A little overheating and BAM, they warp and the head gasket blows. As long as you keep them in the right temperature range, they are fine.

Mine was loosing coolant when I got it, turned out to be the radiator itself. The end caps are plastic and was full of little microfractures that formed over the 11 years of hot/cold cycling. Once the engine would get up to operating temp, they would start to leak.

Another common leaking point is the water pump. The bearings/seals will start to wear and it'll start to leak from near the pulley.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 138K now and preparing for a 600 mile (round trip) road trip to the Bantam Jeep festival. Just replaced the alternator and I'm on my second water pump (first went at 65K)
I've been really disciplined with maintenance and switched to synthetic oil. Got it too hot twice, (first time 3 years ago and last year also) both times after wheeling it, but immediately let it cool off and hopefully no damage. I do have a small coolant loss I cant track down.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine got warm once. Not even a full tick above half and i knew it was overheating. I watch my temp gauge like a hawk. No issues after that thank gosh.

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my 06 Renny for work driving around NorCal, just hit 260 K with no engine issues yet. I use synthetic oil and chamge it pretty often, also run Marvel Mystery Oil often.

Beefy98

Reaction score
I've got 180k on my 04 renegade. Runs pretty good. Has some idoling problems, but she's still running strong. Recently had my a/c compressor and radiator replaced.

Therian

Reaction score
Hey there I just brought an 06 Jeep Liberty. I fell in love with it as soon as I took it for a test drive. I was just wondering how long the 3.7L engine will last with routine oil changes? Has anyone out there ever had any major problems with the engine?
Dunno, I'm second owner and mine just hit 184k 04 liberty and so far very minimum of work has been done to it. Though both the previous owner and myself were religious on preventative maintenance.

The only thing ******* me off is my Liberty makes a clicking sound around 10-20mph that I cannot figure out.

Latest posts

Members online