How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie will be sorely disappointed if any major component of his powertrain dies before 300,000 because of anything besides abuse.

Khaotic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Khaotic likes to refer to himself in the third person as well, under the tutelage of Thunderbird.

72,*** miles. No problems other than a tiny squeak in the serpentine belt and some front brake rotors mildly warped. I'll be replacing the serpentine, rotors+pads, and timing belt soon just to be safe, along with it's first internal bath in pure silky synthetic. I might replace the water pump while I'm at it just to insure it won't overheat any time in the next 150k miles. :D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That squeak is probably a belt tensioner, not the belt itself.

No timing belt unless it's a 2.4, too. Don't worry about the water pump until it dies. 140k, ThunderbirdJunkie's is still original.

Khaotic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Khaotic would like to thank Thunderbird for destroying his maintenance to-do list. I suppose I should wait to replace the brake rotors until my steering wheel falls off from vibration as well? (banghead)

cherokee4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have on my 95000mile on it and i didn't change any part related with the engine.
but did i need to change the timing belt after 100k because i didn't change it until now.
and also i live in Saudi Arabia so the weather is too hot and i was having heat problem.
this what has been done to my KJ:
i change the water bump,O2 sensor, throttle position sensor, Belt Tensioner 2times, Thermostat, spark plug 2 times.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hit 115k miles on mine, knock on wood, no major problems. Just little electrical stuff >=[

JackCarr

Reaction score
2003 Liberty - I'm over 198k now

Bought it new. Still has the original engine and transmission. Have replaced quite a few things over the years, radiator, front drive shaft, U-joints, wheel bearings. Most of the things would be expected replacements with that kind of mileage. Since 160k I've been adding Restore with every oil change. Check engine light came on 15k miles ago. Dealership told me it was one of the two catalytic converters. I could care less. Runs like a top. Smooth and still has power. Got my money's worth out of this Jeep for sure.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey All-

Just coming up on 48K on my 06 KJ. No engine issues whatsoever and no major issues overall. Have had three window regulators replaced under warranty, one catalytic converter at 20K (extreme heat in ATL summer got that one), a power steering pump, and a radio because the CD changer died.

Other than that, it's been a pretty reliable rig and with routine maintenance I am planning to keep it for years to come.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
207,000kms on mine, driving in Canehdian weather and roads. Nothing major yet, sensors, brakes, hoses...the usual so far. Pretty much the same as my 2001 Caravan, no problems with 293,000kms with no major breakdowns and was still going strong....that said, I maintain my vehicles well

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
152K on ours, plenty of power and no signs or sounds of wear. no idea what kind of oil and filters the PO used. i just replaced the plugs, but the ones i took out looked new. i got virtually no maint. records when we bought it, but everything was in good order, only the t case oil is a bit dirty... so i am hoping for at least another 50K

JackCarr

Reaction score
Bought it new. Still has the original engine and transmission. Have replaced quite a few things over the years, radiator, front drive shaft, U-joints, wheel bearings. Most of the things would be expected replacements with that kind of mileage. Since 160k I've been adding Restore with every oil change. Check engine light came on 15k miles ago. Dealership told me it was one of the two catalytic converters. I could care less. Runs like a top. Smooth and still has power. Got my money's worth out of this Jeep for sure.

Now over 201,000! Hoping to drive this until the Fall and then I'll get a new vehicle.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
110k on my 06 with no issues so far. Though I do have a strange knocking sound at light throttle...but it has not gotten worse/better in 30k miles with 1000miles of towing 5k lbs.

I think it's time to clean my PCV thing though, I've lost about 2mpg on the freeway.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most modern engines - with good maintenance, will go on for years. Depends on how you use it, whether you thrash it etc.