How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hdrider

Reaction score
I bought my 02 sport with a spun rod bearing at 169000 for $800. I did the rebuild myself. Reground crank, 1 rod, pistons/rings, oil and water pump. Had the heads checked(all good) then cleaned and lapped valves myself. I put 10000 miles on rebuild and then a valve seat dropped thru #2 piston. After learning about the powdered metal valve seats used in the 3.7 I bought 2 new aftermarket heads $300 each,1 piston and a gasket set then rebuilt again. Now at 190000 and running strong.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see valve and main-bearing problems usually around 150k. These have a weird problem with oil pressure.

Timing chain tensioners also have a kind of trend of failing..

Hdrider

Reaction score
After rebuilding both 3.7s in our Libertys I use 10w40 Valvoline and Wix filters only. I change oil EVERY 3000 miles.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
288,000 miles on my 02. Engine seems to be original. A/C Compressor, Alternator and other odds and ends look replaced but the engine is super strong.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285K+. Had it since 75K. Purchased a rebuilt engine a few yrs back due to the notorious valve seat issue that permitted a valve to drop on the cylinder. It was cheaper htan having it rebuilt locally and came with a 3 yr warranty.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to put one of those fresh $3,000-$4,500 crate engines in mine but even with my "great job" I have to go with LKQ warrantied engines for <$2,000 and spend a while putting it in because of work. Without spending 60+ hours at work I can put it in within a couple days just using a tractor(cherry picker on dirt) and my decent tools.

Actually I could probably get one of those eventually but I'd put it in a better body with five-speed(my current is fun but the kickers are rotted, it has a cheap overspray, and the main harness is a taped mess).. I can get really nice liberty's with high miles for the same price as a crate engine from advance or napa or some mopar outlet.

I actually got quotes from a large number of shops and they actually charge you for their shifty rebuilds what an engine costs at NAPA or Advance.. Even the shade tree mechanics want like 3k..

Last edited:

john43028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is encouraging Tom. I hope to get at least as many miles on
the 130k mile kj we just bought!

Shorthair

Reaction score
I'm almost at 250,000 with my 03 Limited 3.7. Head gaskets have been replaced twice, put in a few radiators, transfer case seized so no 4x4, ac pump is out so I rerouted belt, rebuilt entire front end multiple times, she's still going strong, besides headlights currently not working. They are a solid vehicle that will last many miles if maintained well.

2002KJLimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has 157,300 miles. Has had the ECM, water pump, heater core, radiator, both front ball joints changed. Run Castrol GTX 5x30 with Lucas synthetic oil treatment, NGK V-Power (copper core) plugs, K&N oil and air filter. Only complaints are the rear drums won't stay in adjustment for more than a year before a clackity sound developes when not on the breaks. It also consumes about a quart of oil every month. Just developed a coolant leak at the water pump this last week, changing it tomorrow.

Future plans are to pull the engine and rebuild it with every hotrod trick I can while maintaining stock tune. Should give most SUVs and trucks a run for their money at the light, as if it doesn't already.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think I'd run any oil treatment, from what I've seen on the oil forum that can be pretty risky! That Castrol GTX is a good oil on its own merit.