How long will a typical Jeep Liberty engine last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayne

Reaction score
OVER 389000 K.s

hi my 04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L engine and there is 389000 on my jeep and i have no major problems .

introspekt408

Reaction score
Seeing these numbers makes me hopeful!

121000 miles on mine! Had for a year now and I put 13000 on in the past year no issues! I know belt and brakes were replaced!

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
120000 on my 07 when I traded it. I was original owner. Only engine related issue I had was the water pump went out about 70000 miles. Otherwise ran as good as the day I bought it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fredfsb

Reaction score

My 05 3.7L has over 180K on it. Very little problems. Replace Radiator, hoses, front drive shaft. My check engine light comes on because one cylinder has 70% compression. But no noticeable loss of power or reduced mileage. Hard to get California Smog checked however, used some engine additive, changed oil just before check and reset computer with a ScanGage.

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reached 148K mi. on mine before it gave up the ghost. It seemed that the engine 'consumed' antifreeze without smoking out the tailpipe. One day the temp needle was way over the mid-point, and that's when the beginning of the end started. I was able to nurse it for a couple months more, and then one day *poof*...on the Palisades Interstate Parkway. Engine- fried. Had to limp off the parkway because the flatbed didn't have a permit to access the road. If the Libby didn't look so good, she would've been bound for the scrapyard. But- it lives on with a replacement engine that has 107k mi less. Unfortunately, the mechanics decided that all those original sensors were ok to swap over, as well as the dried-out vacuum lines. Someone that did the work really didn't give a s*** and I had to find those power-robbing leaking hoses myself. It now has 160K+ miles on the vehicle itself.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine 4 weeks ago with 150k on the engine but didn't give it a second thought. The previous owner (who was the original owner) had it maintenanced on a regular rotation. The water pump and alternator have been replaced, but other than that, just the usual wear and tear type stuff.

The engine runs strong and there are no powertrain leaks to stain my driveway. I bought her with the hope of breaking 225k. Since my estimated annual mileage will only be 10k a year, that should give me 7+ years. A bargain for $4500

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost 168,000 miles on my original engine. Only problems up front have been the AC compressor and spark plugs. My big problem has been with the transmission...5 speed, but I'm on the second one and now that one is giving me problems 40,000 miles earlier than expected =[

Last edited:

KJGirl26

Reaction score
Got mine at 108k miles 3 years back, I never overheated it. However, at about 145k miles, the second cylinder valve seat dropped. I don't know the prior history before I got it though.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ has 97000 miles, so far one battery and the radiator.I just due my normal routine oil changes, spark plugs, and clean my cold air filter. If the motor does go then, I just plan on a rebuild or a new creat motor.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
How do you overheat the engine? Sorry new to the forum. Buying a jeep soon.

By not maintaining the cooling system. ie radiator, coolant, hoses, thermostat etc. :waytogo:

P.S. You really are doing your homework ...I hope you pick the best one! :D

gadaddy

Reaction score
I have an '03 sport with the 3.7L V6 that has 193,000+. Regular maintenance, no issues to speak of. I am replacing valve cover gaskets this weekend because of a small leak but that is the most extensive work I've done on it yet.

Last edited:

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
241,*** goin strong with new batt and alt.
part time sensor is glitching and thats all. i wheel it but dont abuse it too badly, i needit to last though university
ohh and im getting the muffler done on wednesday due to a small hole in it.

so yeah mines the old timer here hope that helps:)

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with all that being said it rocked on a snow dump i had to drive through yesterday. also have silverstar headlights in it but thats because i wanted a better bulb
besides i bought it used and it probably has had another battery tossed in it other than the new one i put in yesterday
she didnt let me down until i made it into town. god bless having a good altenator because it ran off that sucker for 3 hours on my drive with the odd pulsing headlights and such. scary shit but she is happy again

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '03 sport with the 3.7L V6 that has 193,000+. Regular maintenance, no issues to speak of. I am replacing valve cover gaskets this weekend because of a small leak but that is the most extensive work I've done on it yet.

might have mine done aswell. i know they dont last over 200,XXXk's

Latest posts

Members online