Help me choose tires, please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need alittle help picking tires, and I was hoping some could help me alittle bit. I have two brands in mind both are AT's and under $600, so if you guys have any other suggestions thats the criteria.

Ok first is the more money of the two.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
General Grabber AT 2, Ive read about them and they sound great, just what Im looking for and they have a more aggresive look to them.

Second there cheaper but still have a good rating.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6KL78OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Kumho Road Venture AT, I read some stuff on them and people like them but Im not sold on them. But for the price if there worth it then I would buy them.

So if you guys have any suggestions or comments about the two above Id really appreciate it.
Thanks

Last edited:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the Grabbers. I have originally had the grabbers on my old explorer. Awesome tire all around, especially in snow. When I got my Jeep, I bought Kumho Road Venture AT's. This is one of the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle. Mediocre traction in ALL conditions. Right now I'm waiting for these to wear down a little more in the next 2 months before I put on the 5 Grabber AT2's sitting in my basement! :icon_wink:

Not to mention the tread depth on the Kumho's are only 13/32nds......

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The other part is shipping on the Grabbers is $100 and the others is $50. Kinda rediculous to me but I shall keep looking!

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thats ALOT better, thank you so much! :thumbsup:
:anitoof::anitoof::banana-mario:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Grabbers. I just put a set on Mr. Darcy a while back and I'm loving them. I've also heard some pretty awful things about the kumhos. A friend of mine put them on her landcruiser (they're one of the only brands available down here) and ended up having to replace them 6 months later. The extra money is well worth the miles you'll get out of them. And Mr. Darcy looks sexy in his new shoes :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Destination ATs if you want a good all around street tire way better than Grabber whatevers
have never quite seen what people see in them

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are Firestone Destination A/T's or the Goodyear Silent Armor's outside your price range? by a lot? I'm personally going with the former when I shoe up the new wheels.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires ,like most things in life, you will get what you pay for
I had Super Swamper LTB's and the tread was tough as nails
as far as punctures same for the side walls
But in the rocks they would chunk like crazy
Same situations but with G/Y MTR-K's and no problems

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You do get what you pay for in tires. I like the GY Kevlar tires.
The Wrangler Silent armors are silent have kevlar belts and DuraWall sidewalls that are still very thick and take abuse, snow flake rated. Also self cleaning treads. I never got stuck in mud and river banks following Ryan with his GY MTR's, that also have kevlar belts & sidewalls, and a way more aggressive tread, but more noisy on highway.
The silent armor is a good choice for those that want a strong and quiet running tire.
40977[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

No doubt the MTR's look way better and when it comes to mud and real off roading... best tire choice possible!
40979[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
  • RyanMTR.jpg
    RyanMTR.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go 10ply AT I would go firestone
Transforce AT
At nearly 40k under a 9k# F250 it looks like 60k will be easy
Where someone has the G/Y's and will be lucky to see 50k
And he has had 1 get an egg where 8 Firestones have not ,2 trucks
And we got the Firestones for $800 ,4 tires m&b
The G/Y's were $1200
Oh and I drive "spirited" the guy with the G/Y's drive Miss Daisy

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$600-700 Dollars is what I was looking to spend, but if i find something that is a good tire and for decent mony who knows what Id pay for them:shrug::secret:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got about 2k on my Silent Armors. I was going to get the Grabber AT2s, but found a deal on the Goodyears (5 for $110 each.)
They have done well in the limited off roading I've done so far, seem to have decent grip in the mud for an AT. Thye are whisper quite on road and have great wet traction too.

This winter will be the true test of them, and I'm also curious to see how they wear.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at Destination ATs if you want a good all around street tire way better than Grabber whatevers
have never quite seen what people see in them

You might see why people like them if you ever ran them.

On second thought, you did run them somewhat (BFG A/T's sound familiar?) If you liked BFG's, there's no doubt you'd like the Grabbers more. :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You might see why people like them if you ever ran them.

On second thought, you did run them somewhat (BFG A/T's sound familiar?) If you liked BFG's, there's no doubt you'd like the Grabbers more. :shrug:

Had some friends run them and not impressed, also used to like the BFG ATs but they SUCK big time any more.:Bye: I can go in 2 wheel drive with the Duratracs where the BFGs I had to use 4 wheel drive before. One of the reasons why I only ran them a short time. Have two sitting in my garage that I'll use on a trailer as thats all they are good for IMO.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some friends run them and not impressed, also used to like the BFG ATs but they SUCK big time any more.:Bye: I can go in 2 wheel drive with the Duratracs where the BFGs I had to use 4 wheel drive before. One of the reasons why I only ran them a short time. Have two sitting in my garage that I'll use on a trailer as thats all they are good for IMO.

Ok good. I thought you were one of those people who think the BFG is the king of all tires(like most folks who own them.) Good to see you know that there are better tires out there. :happy107: