Rookie needs help with tires/rims before I make a costly mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, sorry Ive been busy the last few days.

You're right about the clevis lift. I had the wrong attitude! My bad. I will do that too.

Questions:

1. Can you link me to the best Clevis lift instructional.
Not really any need for instructional , they just go uo on the bottom of the shock before you slide the clevis on
2. Can you link me to the spacer plates or whatever they are called? Also how many? 4?
jeepinbyal has then only need 2
3. It seems you are not thrilled with my tire selection due to it causing performance issues. What tire size do you recommend with the OME and Clevis lift combined? I very much value your answer to this question.
Are you doing clevis lift or top plate ? And size is ok, but you will lose mileage and performance
4. Per your instructions I will be doing 927 springs in front, Should I do 947 or 948 in the back?
948 in the back
5. OR have I misunderstood...Should I NOT do the clevis since Im getting the 927 springs or would doing both still be beneficial?
927s will give you 2.5 inches of lift by themselves
I know this is a Jeep forum that questions are answered on...but I hope Im not becoming annoying with soooo many questions. I gotta make sure Im doing this right. Thanks again everyone. :signs75:

Keep asking not a problem

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you doing clevis lift or top plate ?

No clue...So on top of the 927/948 springs what do you think I should do? Both clevis and top plate? Or just one or the other? Again, I have no idea what is best.

I assume this is what I want for Clevis. I want a .25 spacer right? Something about too much stress on ball joints after that? Product: Clevis Spacer for Front Struts

Now if you want me to do the front plate as well is this what I want? Product: Strut spacer plate set

Would doing one or both make my front end much higher than my back?

In regards to tires how much "loss in performance" are we talking? What tire size do you recommend if I do exactly what you say in regards to clevis/front plate?..on top of 2.5in lift of course.

Thanks.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue...So on top of the 927/948 springs what do you think I should do? Both clevis and top plate? Or just one or the other? Again, I have no idea what is best.

I assume this is what I want for Clevis. I want a .25 spacer right? Something about too much stress on ball joints after that? Product: Clevis Spacer for Front Struts

Now if you want me to do the front plate as well is this what I want? Product: Strut spacer plate set

Would doing one or both make my front end much higher than my back?

In regards to tires how much "loss in performance" are we talking? What tire size do you recommend if I do exactly what you say in regards to clevis/front plate?..on top of 2.5in lift of course.

Thanks.

The OME springs get you to 2.5", then you can add up to 3 clevis rings to give you 3/4" more lift on top of that, THEN you could add 1/4" top plate to get another 1/2"- netting you around 3.5"-3.75" of lift (you'd definitely need UCAs at that height)

Everything you add (I.e. clevis rings or top plate) doubles in lift height
So, a clevis ring is 1/8" thick but it gives you 1/4" lift
I have the 927/948 combo with 3 ring clevis on each side and one extra iso in the rear and I sit at 3 1/4" lift on all 4 sides

If I were to do it all again I'd do a top plate and one clevis ring (to get me to the height I sit at now), then add more later on once I saved up for UCAs
Only because if you only do clevis rings at first but later want to sit higher, then you have to take everything apart again just to put the top plate in
It'd be much easier to just remove the clevis fork and add rings

It all depends on how high you want to sit, and regarding the tire size choice I'd go with whatever you want (obviously do research so you'll know what will fit with whatever height you end up being at) but just know that you'll lose some power with any bigger size tire than stock

I'm getting a 30.6" tall tire and I already know I'll lose quite a bit of power but I'm fine with it
It's just personal preference really

Members online

No members online now.