Rookie needs help with tires/rims before I make a costly mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you again! The above quote/answer Im not fully understanding. "Better choice are the 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing wheel"....what does this mean? I understood my tire size choices (255-70-16s and 265-70-16s) but you lost me on the 7x4 backspacing wheel. Is that additional parts I need If I do the lift or some other tire spec Im unaware of?

Thank you for your response again, you are saving me so much headache due to being clueless what my BEST options are and all that they entail

OK Moab wheels are 8 inches wide with 5 inches of back spacing
Stock wheels are 7 inches wide with 5 inches of backspacing
So with Moabs the tire/ wheel combo sticks out 1 inch further than stock to the edge of the fender flare.
NOW if you run a 7 inch wide wheel ( same width as stock ) but with 4 inches of backspacing the tire/ wheel combo will sit out the same as a Moab setup. But biggest advantage is being able to run more different sizes of tires since you don't need to run a wider tire with 8 inch wide tread. You can run 245-70-16s/ 245-75-16s etc

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more thoughts...

Okay, wont lie, you all have me psyched...my lame shocks/springs are now an opportunity rather than an expense. ha

Just so we are on the same page...I can buy ONLY this lift kit, nothing else, hand it to my trusted family friend mechanic who owns a gas station that does car work, and he will know exactly what to do to install it? [url=http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/lift-kits-jeep-liberty/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html]OME 1.50" lift kit KJ[/URL]

As for those "Moabs from an 03 -06 Rubicon" where the hell do I find those new or used?!?

Show me the way master...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some more thoughts...

Okay, wont lie, you all have me psyched...my lame shocks/springs are now an opportunity rather than an expense. ha

Just so we are on the same page...I can buy ONLY this lift kit, nothing else, hand it to my trusted family friend mechanic who owns a gas station that does car work, and he will know exactly what to do to install it? [url=http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/lift-kits-jeep-liberty/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html]OME 1.50" lift kit KJ[/URL]

As for those "Moabs from an 03 -06 Rubicon" where the hell do I find those new or used?!?

Show me the way master...
Moabs are used, getting harder and harder to find, check craigslist etc for them, just to make sure they are from a TJ Wrangler and not a JK. Some think they are gold anymore , but you can still find some deals .
Installing OME is no different than replacing everything with stock. Just a couple of extra steps.
Check to see if the local can in fact compress the springs, you can't use them little things you rent from the parts store to compress these new ones

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Moab wheels are 8 inches wide with 5 inches of back spacing
Stock wheels are 7 inches wide with 5 inches of backspacing
So with Moabs the tire/ wheel combo sticks out 1 inch further than stock to the edge of the fender flare.
NOW if you run a 7 inch wide wheel ( same width as stock ) but with 4 inches of backspacing the tire/ wheel combo will sit out the same as a Moab setup. But biggest advantage is being able to run more different sizes of tires since you don't need to run a wider tire with 8 inch wide tread. You can run 245-70-16s/ 245-75-16s etc

Okay, I get it!
So while Moab wheels are nice, I can run a BIGGER tire, and have more choice of tire, if I choose a rim with that is 7 inches wide with 4 inches of backspacing...GREAT!

Question: Where the heck do I find rims that match those specs?!? What are the decent/good ones?? What are the keywords I should google, websites I should look at to buy new? etc

Also, please dear god tell me if I buy that spec of rim I can still easily just bolt it onto my car with no other modifications needed. :happy175::help:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This town is going nuts. I'm ten miles outside of Cleveland and I could just about hear the crowd downtown from here.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Is this a rim that could work if I chose not to go for the 7 wide/ 4in backspaced rim? Pro Comp Steel Wheels - Series 98 Rock Crawler - Gloss Black Monster Mod Wheel | 4WheelParts.com

1. **Edit: You already answered this question I put here. If I go 16x8 I want it with 5 inches of backspacing***
2. Besides more style tire choices what is the benefit of 7wide/4in backspace wheel? Does it help for higher clearance? It seems like the wheel I want is available in 265-70-16 (General Grabber AT2) which would fit the 16x8rim if Im not mistaken.

Im starting to feel bad asking so many questions.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit should I buy this if Im going with the 16 x 8 wheel?!?

16 inch tj lj wrangler rubicon moab wheels 5x4.5 5x114.3 <---- I think these work and are close to me! Please confirm!!

OR THESE?!?
Jeep Rims and Tires

The first link you posted are the wheels. I would get the 5 bare ones as you might not want 265/75/16 wheels if you're not going to regear. The second link are 5x5 WJ Grand Cherokee wheels that won't work well for what you're going for.

Those are still a little expensive. I got mine at 5 for 250 or 300 or something. Was a good find on my part. One had rings on it like it was spun in mud. Nothing a little sanding and fill primer can't fix.

PS - Looks like he's got a few 2006 "step" style wheels. Make sure you get a full matching set! Either all 2006 type or all pre-2006.

2006:
You must be registered for see images

Pre-2006:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Thank You!!

Now before I buy them I need Tommudd (or anyone) to explain why the 7wide/4 inch backspaced wheel is better than the MOAB's I found for sale.

You say I need regearing to use the tire size he already has on there yet earlier in the thread Tom mentioned that exact size for being a good option once I get the lift.

So which is it? Can I use that tire size with the OME 2.5in lift WITHOUT regearing?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Thank You!!

Now before I buy them I need Tommudd (or anyone) to explain why the 7wide/4 inch backspaced wheel is better than the MOAB's I found for sale.

You say I need regearing to use the tire size he already has on there yet earlier in the thread Tom mentioned that exact size for being a good option once I get the lift.

So which is it? Can I use that tire size with the OME 2.5in lift WITHOUT regearing?

265/70 and 265/75 are very different sizes. I'm running the former with stock gearing and I'm pretty down on power. Of course I'm using a heavier LT tire. P tires might be better.

The reason Tom says that 7 inches with 4 inches of backspacing is better is because of the following:

1) It gives you the same (similar) stance as the MOAB wheels due to the backspacing and wheel width. I won't get into it much further because it might get a bit of confusing. Took me a little while to understand wheel width/backspacing/offiset.

2) With a 7 inch wheel, you have a few different tire options that shouldn't be stretched (loses sidewall) onto an 8 inch wheel. The smallest tire you can run on and 8 inch wheel ends up being 245/75/16 and even that gives you practically no sidewall. A wider tire with that 8" wheel gives you more sidewall and more rim and bead protection. So a 7" wheel gives you the option of running 245/70, 245/75, 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75. Where the 8" wheel only really gives us the option of 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75 due to tire size constraints. All that being said...the wheels will work...but with only 2.5 inches of lift I can almost guarantee you will rub a bit. I rub my setup with 4" of lift all around (Only at full lock). Of course the tire choice has a lot to do with that too (shape of the tread).

3) The 255 or 265 tires that you choose might be a little bit tougher to fit on a 2.5" lift. You can get some rubbing on the sway bar with the extra inch of width on the wheel too.

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of now the lowest i can talk the seller of the wheels is $325 for five of them...I guess thats not too bad???

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/70 and 265/75 are very different sizes. I'm running the former with stock gearing and I'm pretty down on power. Of course I'm using a heavier LT tire. P tires might be better.

The reason Tom says that 7 inches with 4 inches of backspacing is better is because of the following:

1) It gives you the same (similar) stance as the MOAB wheels due to the backspacing and wheel width. I won't get into it much further because it might get a bit of confusing. Took me a little while to understand wheel width/backspacing/offiset.

2) With a 7 inch wheel, you have a few different tire options that shouldn't be stretched (loses sidewall) onto an 8 inch wheel. The smallest tire you can run on and 8 inch wheel ends up being 245/75/16 and even that gives you practically no sidewall. A wider tire with that 8" wheel gives you more sidewall and more rim and bead protection. So a 7" wheel gives you the option of running 245/70, 245/75, 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75. Where the 8" wheel only really gives us the option of 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75 due to tire size constraints. All that being said...the wheels will work...but with only 2.5 inches of lift I can almost guarantee you will rub a bit. I rub my setup with 4" of lift all around (Only at full lock). Of course the tire choice has a lot to do with that too (shape of the tread).

3) The 255 or 265 tires that you choose might be a little bit tougher to fit on a 2.5" lift. You can get some rubbing on the sway bar with the extra inch of width on the wheel too.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I have two issues/questions:

1. Where the heck to a find those 7in wheel/ 4inch backspacing wheels? Im having a hard time with those. Links to affordable options appreciated.

2. Evidently I have to pinch/pound the welds in my wheel well to stop rubbing. Watched a youtube video on that. If I do that will that eliminate rubbing on the 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75 sizes you mentioned?

Thanks Again

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1. Where the heck to a find those 7in wheel/ 4inch backspacing wheels? Im having a hard time with those. Links to affordable options appreciated.

2. Evidently I have to pinch/pound the welds in my wheel well to stop rubbing. Watched a youtube video on that. If I do that will that eliminate rubbing on the 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75 sizes you mentioned?

Thanks Again

1) You can typically search any online parts seller for wheels like this. Here is an example from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3977712/overview/

Any black steel style will do. I'm sure there are other types but I never researched them too heavily since I wanted moabs.

2) Yes pounding would probably need to happen. That will eliminate rubbing in the rear part of the wheel well, but you will probably still rub up front. Nothing a heat gun and a little gentle push/massage can't fix. I've just never cared enough to break out the heat gun again.

PS - decent price. For the rarity of the wheel I don't find that to be a bad deal...but maybe Tom can chime in as he buys them all the time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Thank You!!

Again a 7 inch wide wheel gives you better options on tire sizes
Only a few sizes I would run on a 8 inch wide wheel.
There is a big difference between a 265-75-16 and 265-70-16
You can not use 265-75-16s on 2.5 inches of lift, you need 4 inches to run that size

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks Again

Summit Racking / Jegs/ most anywhere has wheels with that size and backspacing
Never seen a youtube on pounding the pinch welds, most leave a lot to be desired when it comes to those so called helpful videos. I have pictures I'll post , very easy .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I just screwed regarding the TPMS? Ive looked at a few wheels so far and they all say incompatible. My TPMS is already screwball so maybe I should just accept the random notification light from it and deal with it.