Rookie needs help with tires/rims before I make a costly mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the above responses! I think you sold me on the 7x4 wheel. Going to the Lakers game tonight so Ill absorb all this new info when I get home.

All of you guys are great x 10000...thank you!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I just screwed regarding the TPMS? Ive looked at a few wheels so far and they all say incompatible. My TPMS is already screwball so maybe I should just accept the random notification light from it and deal with it.

You can buy new sensors and have them installed when you get the tires mounted. This assumes that the rest of the TPMS stuff onboard is working properly. Sensors come in different frequencies, so do some research and make sure you get the right ones if you go that route.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You mentioned the pinch weld
Here is the way I do them here
First you start out with this ugly thing , get a heat gun and heat it up good, will cut like butta' when warm with a knife.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cut from bottom up above the pinch weld area on both sides

Bend the flap up so you can now take a 3 lb hammer and think of your Ex-Mother In law , now beat away

You will then have something similar to this

Spray undercoating over that whole area you just down and over
Slowly heat the liner and flatten out the part that did stick out before . Take your time and it will mold right to both sides and flatten out ending with something like this

After a couple of trips down the road you'll never see that it was touched if done right .

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures Tom!

Tomorrow Im going to price everything out and probably start making some purchases.

So is Summit racing my best bet for those 7x4 wheels. Any other links to preferred websites appreciated.

Last edited:

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in those pictures Im looking at the front part of thE rear wheel well correct?

SWEET

Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in those pictures Im looking at the front part of thE rear wheel well correct? So I just open that badboy up and start bashing the shit out of whatever I see sticking out?

SWEET

Ummm... no drunk posting. Please. The photos depict a front wheel well and the pinch weld located on the rear side of the well, a few inches from the body exterior.

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I emailed a well reviewed local 4x4 shop to see how much they would charge to install the OME lift kit. Their response was "est $5-600 plus alignment we send out $ 80"

Sound about right?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only labor you should pay for is to have a shop assemble the front springs and shocks to the upper mounting plate which would probably be around $50-$60

Do the lift yourself- you'd be way happier knowing YOU did it, you'd learn a hell of a lot about your Jeep and you wouldn't be out $600+ when the shop probably doesn't even know KJs so they might screw stuff up (although they might since you said they're a 4x4 shop)

I promise you that you'll love to drive it that much more and be much happier after putting the lift on yourself than just picking it up from a shop and having to give them a whole bunch of money
I grin at my KJ (and talk to her sometimes too :emotions34:) just because I know I put hard work, blood, sweat and (I wouldn't say tears but) a lot of anger into it
But it was all worth it in the end

The only way I'd fork out that money and take a gamble with someone handling my suspension would be if I had zero options left
No tools, no driveway/garage, no beer
Because those are all it takes to get it done

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only labor you should pay for is to have a shop assemble the front springs and shocks to the upper mounting plate which would probably be around $50-$60

Do the lift yourself- you'd be way happier knowing YOU did it, you'd learn a hell of a lot about your Jeep and you wouldn't be out $600+ when the shop probably doesn't even know KJs so they might screw stuff up (although they might since you said they're a 4x4 shop)

I promise you that you'll love to drive it that much more and be much happier after putting the lift on yourself than just picking it up from a shop and having to give them a whole bunch of money
I grin at my KJ (and talk to her sometimes too :emotions34:) just because I know I put hard work, blood, sweat and (I wouldn't say tears but) a lot of anger into it
But it was all worth it in the end

The only way I'd fork out that money and take a gamble with someone handling my suspension would be if I had zero options left
No tools, no driveway/garage, no beer
Because those are all it takes to get it done

Can I REALLY do this job and know when Im done that I without a doubt did it right?....I dont want to die on the freeway over pride, lol. I also dont want to take stuff apart, realize Im an idiot for trying, and then having it towed to a shop. ha

Im very much a fixit person. I can fix most stuff in a home but not in a car. Im very good at following instructions/youtube videos...I have a jack and stands at my parents along with basic mechanic tools

How long would it take for a 99% non-car person to do it? Any links to in depth tutorials for my car/that setup?

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I REALLY do this job and know when Im done that I without a doubt did it right?....I dont want to die on the freeway over pride, lol. I also dont want to take stuff apart, realize Im an idiot for trying, and then having it towed to a shop. ha

Im very much a fixit person. I can fix most stuff in a home but not in a car. Im very good at following instructions/youtube videos...I have a jack and stands at my parents along with basic mechanic tools

How long would it take for a 99% non-car person to do it? Any links to in depth tutorials for my car/that setup?

This is pretty much what I used.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-frankenlift-*lots-pictures*-complete-29193/

But someone guided me through taking apart my front passenger side prior to the lift so I had a bit of experience going in.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much what I used.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-frankenlift-*lots-pictures*-complete-29193/

But someone guided me through taking apart my front passenger side prior to the lift so I had a bit of experience going in.

Yes ^^^
That's what I used, but did a couple things different
I was exactly like you are, about 90% illiterate when it comes to suspension or really anything mechanical on vehicles, but now I could take it all apart again if I had to
All I needed were a socket set, different wrenches, hammer, pry bars, drill and bits, and torque wrench (ratchet straps if needed as well)
Oh and a shop to put my coil overs together
I got frustrated at times but in the end it was well worth it and I know everything was done right

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, if you guys say thats the best instructional around I believe it.

Just to confirm, the Frankenlift is just a taller lift and the process is the exact same with my 2.5inch OME lift, correct?

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here is my final checklist before purchasing:

245-75-16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2: BF Goodrich Tires - LT265/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 | 4WheelParts.com

OME 2.5inch Lift (medium springs, no A-arms): OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Wheels(16in, 7 wide, 4 backspacing): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-042-7712

5 Hub Covers (I need one for my spare right?): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-c330-b

TPMS Sensor (4,1.Do I need one for spare? 2. I never get notice from front tire, can I reuse one of those for spare?): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZ42FG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1QW3WUBOYCXKY&coliid=I1IBSCTSFYB7G

Im aware I have to:

1.Cut open plastic in back of wheel well, bash/fold over the welds, heat plastic back together. AND heat gun the front of the wheel well plastic to push it more away from the front of the tire. This sound right?
Does everything look good for my 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited?
Is there any minor parts that I am missing?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
alright, here is my final checklist before purchasing:

245-75-16 bf goodrich all-terrain t/a ko2: bf goodrich tires - lt265/75r16, all-terrain t/a ko2 | 4wheelparts.com

what ply tires are you getting, hopefully not 6-8 or 10 ply, don't need them, plus why are 265-75-16s listed as well ? Plus bfgs??

ome 2.5inch lift (medium springs, no a-arms): ome 1.50" lift kit kj
only medium springs, may have to run a clevis to get 2.5 inches of lift, we only install 927 fronts here to get that 2.5

wheels(16in, 7 wide, 4 backspacing): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-042-7712

5 hub covers (i need one for my spare right?): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-c330-b

tpms sensor (4,1.do i need one for spare? 2. I never get notice from front tire, can i reuse one of those for spare?): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/b00iaz42fg/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pc_ns_ttl?_encoding=utf8&colid=1qw3wuboycxky&coliid=i1ibsctsfyb7g

im aware i have to:

1.cut open plastic in back of wheel well, bash/fold over the welds, paint heat plastic back together. And heat gun the front of the wheel well plastic to push it more away from the front of the tire. this sound right?
does everything look good for my 2007 jeep liberty limited?
Is there any minor parts that i am missing?
above

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1A: Thank you
1B: Wait...how much lift do I actually get out of this kit with no clevis or substituted parts?

2. Tires: I want good ground clearance, I figured why not go for "best" all terrain tires...AND YES i WANT IT TO LOOK COOL SO SUE ME LOL. With the lift Im buying what is the best/biggest all terrain I can fit while still being a reasonably comfortable without a clevis lift. Name it and Ill probably buy that exact one. Back to my General Grabber AT2 idea?

Shoot...do I have to do a clevis lift as well?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1B: Wait...how much lift do I actually get out of this kit with no clevis or substituted parts?

2. Tires: I want good ground clearance, I figured why not go for "best" all terrain tires...AND YES i WANT IT TO LOOK COOL SO SUE ME LOL. With the lift Im buying what is the best/biggest all terrain I can fit while still being a reasonably comfortable without a clevis lift. Name it and Ill probably buy that exact one. Back to my General Grabber AT2 idea?

You want to get the 927/948 combo for 2.5" of lift
Clevis lift is easy you do it while you have everything apart and doing the 927s and 3 ring clevis will have you sit around 22 1/4" up front or 3 1/4" of lift
You can get all 6 of them at any hardware store for probably $3-$4

THEN, you wouldn't have to worry about tire sizes up to I'd say right under 31" tall once you pound the pinch weld over
I have the above combo as well as rear iso and airbags (I can adjust the rear if need be-taller or lower)
I'm getting 31s (actually 30.7" tall) and once I pound the pinch weld over I should be good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

NO you do not have to do a clevis lift :emotions34:
you get 2.5 inches of lift from 927 springs up front
BEST all terrain, ??? Well its your $$$ so have at it
and 245-75-16s , no bigger you will be losing some power and mileage even with that height

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I kind of see it as you have two options.
1. Get OE style springs/shocks, get back to 19", stock ride, etc
2. Go for a spring lift (OME/Bilstein lift, JBA lift) and get more capability and better ride/handling.

Check out jeepinbyal.com .

Also, wouldn't need anything special drive train wise to flat tow a 4x4 KJ- that's what the neutral on the t case is for! So I'm guessing the tow bar is the only special thing.

TheCluelessOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO you do not have to do a clevis lift :emotions34:
you get 2.5 inches of lift from 927 springs up front
BEST all terrain, ??? Well its your $$$ so have at it
and 245-75-16s , no bigger you will be losing some power and mileage even with that height

Hey, sorry Ive been busy the last few days.

You're right about the clevis lift. I had the wrong attitude! My bad. I will do that too.

Questions:

1. Can you link me to the best Clevis lift instructional.
2. Can you link me to the spacer plates or whatever they are called? Also how many? 4?
3. It seems you are not thrilled with my tire selection due to it causing performance issues. What tire size do you recommend with the OME and Clevis lift combined? I very much value your answer to this question.
4. Per your instructions I will be doing 927 springs in front, Should I do 947 or 948 in the back?

5. OR have I misunderstood...Should I NOT do the clevis since Im getting the 927 springs or would doing both still be beneficial?

I know this is a Jeep forum that questions are answered on...but I hope Im not becoming annoying with soooo many questions. I gotta make sure Im doing this right. Thanks again everyone. :signs75: