Help me choose tires, please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So people with the Dura-Tracs chim in, Im really considering them but Im worried about how they will wear. I really would like something that can last some miles and I hear some horror storys about them so Im just wondering

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So people with the Dura-Tracs chim in, Im really considering them but Im worried about how they will wear. I really would like something that can last some miles and I hear some horror storys about them so Im just wondering

Just flip a coin and get what you like more. Grabbers or Duratracs will last a good while on the Liberty. Usually all the horror stories about them wearing fast are from people who drive 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Longer tread life = harder rubber which ***** in the winter and wet weather.

Key to keeping a softer MT tire for longer is to actually check the tire pressure at least once a week and keep them at the correct psi,rotate and balance every oil change(5 tire rotation so must have matching spare),and to have your alignment checked and adjusted once a year(better every 6 months).Do all of that and you will get longer lasting tires,halfa$$ it and they will wearout faster.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have over 26,000 miles on the Duratracs, still have way over 1/2 tread. No problems with them, snow rated, wear great, good in mud, little hum but not loud enough that you have to shout in the cabin, no balance problems doing great! If I had to buy another set tomorrow for some reason it would be them again, they work for me!

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, so 50,000 probably close the tread life. Thats not bad last time I had some "mud tires" I 23,000 out of them and was mad. If I can find a good deal on the Dura-Tracs Ill go with them but if not Ill stick with the AT's

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, so 50,000 probably close the tread life. Thats not bad last time I had some "mud tires" I 23,000 out of them and was mad. If I can find a good deal on the Dura-Tracs Ill go with them but if not Ill stick with the AT's
I'll be tickled pink if I get 20k from my 35" MT/R's,but worth every penny spent on them.Heck only $200 per tire is pretty cheap.

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thinking about it, I might drive 5,000 miles a year so they will last awhile and plus I like the idea of better snow traction

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thinking about it, I might drive 5,000 miles a year so they will last awhile and plus I like the idea of better snow traction
If you only drive 5k a year high tire mileage is not what you want.Tires do breakdown after time.Any tire that is 6 years old or older is a huge safety issue/risk.At my job we can not install a tire that is 6 years old or older,that being a new tire(never driven on or mounted),we also can not service any tire that is 10 years old or older(that includes putting air into it).

I to do not put alot of miles on my Jeep also,it's almost 10 years old and only has 77,000 miles on it,so I do replace my tires when they reach 10/32" of tread life left no matter what.

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now my friend pointed me towards re-treads. Tread Wright Guard Dogs:drool:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now my friend pointed me towards re-treads. Tread Wright Guard Dogs:drool:
Not what you want with your mileage per year.Those tires use used tires which will be to old to be safe to drive on.

I can not understand why poeple are so cheap on things that have huge effects on safety,and not just there safety but everyone elses that share the same roads as them.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

To only get 23k out of tires is/was your own doing
We ,the 3 owners of the set of 4 got nearly 20k out of
SS LTB' the first 5k under a V8 ZJ
Then another 7k+ under my TJ
They are now under a YJ and have been for 2 year
He has at least 7k on them
Note these are very soft
Very aggressive and bias ply

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have kumho SAT's and I HATE them. Worst tread life of any tire I have ever seen, no joke! Great for road noise, thats about it.
Best tire I have ever had was the Mickey Thompson Dick Depek FC 2's. I dont know if they make a 245/75 but def. worth looking into. Great tread life, great in all weather, great off road, great for road noise and have a great sidewall bite....dang, I want some new shoes now!

Last edited:

gdprof27

Reaction score
are Firestone Destination A/T's or the Goodyear Silent Armor's outside your price range? by a lot? I'm personally going with the former when I shoe up the new wheels.

I have this exact choice bouncing around my head right now. Paramount in helping make a decision are:

-noise
-fuel milage help (if any)
-wet traction

Can anyone give me the short answer?

gdprof27

Reaction score
Between Firestone and Goodyear?

I would go for the Silent Armour tires.

Too late! Although I cannot imagine tires being any better than these A/T's! I had them installed last week and have been enjoying the ride ever since! Cuts the road noise in half, great traction in the rain and sharper feel in the turns.

You must be registered for see images