Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of general maintenance have you done recently - say, the past year or so?

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after a 750+ mile round trip and less than 25 gallons burned
driving 80 or so on the highway
passing at engine speeds up to and over 5K and some of that 700 ,~150, was city driving
which again when I am driving is by no means slow ,some would consider it border unsafe
I would challenge any CRD to come close

300 miles at 80mph = less than 4 hours including lunch and piss breaks
300 miles at 60mph = 5 hours + lunch and piss breaks
by the time you get to the beach I have been there for over an hour and am 4 beers deep
oh and then there is the fuel cost
unleaded =~$2.60 a gallon so it cost me $28 or so in fuel to get there
Diesel = ~$3 a gallon so at 34mpg (which I doubt) it cost you 26.5 to get there
so woohoo you saved $1.50
I would pay $3 just to get you to go the speed limit then I would save gas by not having to pass so often

or I could just drink cheep beer and make up the $1.50 waiting for you

Nice.

I was hoping someone would compare the cost of the diesel to the cost of the gas to see how much he was really saving. Doesn't seem like enough of a difference to me. In fact, since he is putting a fuel additive in every tank, he is actually spending more.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't floor it every chance...
nah go for it :D
I want to put a true dual with a X pipe under the KJ then I will really need to hit it!
Anyone run one??

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of which
This weekend while at the old lady's, her neighbor (who has a 5.9 ZJ) commented that ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep sounded mean.

"DUDE what muffler do you have on there?"
"uh...stock..."
"NO WAY that's not possible" *looks under the Jeep* "WTF?"

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking of which
This weekend while at the old lady's, her neighbor (who has a 5.9 ZJ) commented that ThunderbirdJunkie's Jeep sounded mean.

"DUDE what muffler do you have on there?"
"uh...stock..."
"NO WAY that's not possible" *looks under the Jeep* "WTF?"

The 3.7 sounds pretty cool to me at start up. Especially in the mornings...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18.5 gallon tank, 200 miles (give or take 20) =

10.810810810810810810810810810811 miles to the gallon..

hmm, I probly should start looking into this eek2.gif

wonder where I should start?
Geez your KJ needs some loving..................

My 6000lbs beast averaged 17.5mpg for the trip back to SD(662miles at 62mph,gear ratio limited) and 16mpg on the way back(used the AC the whole trip and it was all up hill).

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my son a KJ today, and filled it up before a highway run. We did 62 miles and I topped the tank back up, and was really surprised to only need two gallons on the refill. Was really pleased to get 31 mpg on that run after hearing the horror stories of sub-20mpg's Most of the run was on the highway at a steady 70mph.

BTW - We are in Florida and the aircon was working hard.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my son a KJ today, and filled it up before a highway run. We did 62 miles and I topped the tank back up, and was really surprised to only need two gallons on the refill. Was really pleased to get 31 mpg on that run after hearing the horror stories of sub-20mpg's Most of the run was on the highway at a steady 70mph.

Welcome!

Yea what engine you have? In the 20's mpg is pretty good for a KJ to begin with. I normally get an avg of 16-17mpg. If I do a highway trip I get about 19-20mpg.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

not even close to a good reading
how much was put in after the first "cut off" on the last tank?
I know in our KJ we could squeeze almost a gallon more in after the first cut off
did you try to put more
some times my TJ will kick off after 2-3 gallons but take another 10+

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not even close to a good reading
how much was put in after the first "cut off" on the last tank?
I know in our KJ we could squeeze almost a gallon more in after the first cut off
did you try to put more
some times my TJ will kick off after 2-3 gallons but take another 10+

I filled until the fuel was visible in the pipe, totally full to the brim. In fact on the fill before the trip I didn't so if anything we used less than two gallons.

I always get much more than the advertised MPG. In my old Envoy I got around 25mpg highway and the EPA number was 19mpg.

BTW - its a 3.7L

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I filled until the fuel was visible in the pipe, totally full to the brim. In fact on the fill before the trip I didn't so if anything we used less than two gallons.
Yeah raising the
You must be registered for see images
if you got a gas engine,even the gas 2.4 2wd KJ's didn't get close to that.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah raising the \ if you got a gas engine,even the gas 2.4 2wd KJ's didn't get close to that.

Yep, I going around forums lying for fun.

BTW - the old EPA number for the 3.7L was 23 Highway. That is with your average heavy footed driver at the wheel. I used to get 25mpg in my old Envoy that had a EPA of 19mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
IF you're on the freeway doing 45 mph in 5th gear (that's with a stick y'know) with the CC on and perfectly level ground, ThunderbirdJunkie could see 31 mpg.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you're on the freeway doing 45 mph in 5th gear (that's with a stick y'know) with the CC on and perfectly level ground, ThunderbirdJunkie could see 31 mpg.

Florida is pretty flat ;)

45hmph is rarely the most economical. Traditionally it was around 56mph, hence the old 55 speed limits during the oil crisis. These days many cars get peak MPG at between 62-68mph. Know my CTS, and my old Envoy both peaked at 65mph.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I going around forums lying for fun.

BTW - the old EPA number for the 3.7L was 23 Highway. That is with your average heavy footed driver at the wheel. I used to get 25mpg in my old Envoy that had a EPA of 19mpg.
The old EPA mpg #'s was not based off of your "average lead foot drivers",the new EPA mpg #'s are.

Your still not going to get 31mpg's out of a KJ unless it's a CRD and that takes alot of $$$ and work to get that much out of a CRD.Plus you still have not even stated what year KJ,what engine,what trans,and if it is 4wd or 2wd.

Oh and alot of people get on these types of forums and just lie,heck there was one guy that claimed taking the front swaybar off improved hi speed driving on a KJ,or how about that lady that kept posting about KJ's spontaneously bursting into flames when hit from the rear.I could go on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.