Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloorMatt

Reaction score
With all of this mileage talk, I'm curious to see what numbers I can get on Tuesday on my 550 mi +/- trip.

The EVIC is saying 23 mpg average right now. (Just did about a 60 mi round trip today, all highway speed.) We'll see...

(on the 2.8 CRD, btw)

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm driving to Michigan in September (2,000 miles one way) and am hoping to get better than 16mpg's :D Almost hit 20 on the way to Moab!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It's not 30 or 29 either.

You said you topped it off until you could see fuel at first (bad idea btw) and never stated how you filled it the second time.

This is not how repeatable scientific experiments are performed.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So...you can accurately judge, visually, how much fuel is there and accoun-

nevermind. this is not even worth discussing.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...you can accurately judge, visually, how much fuel is there and accoun-

nevermind. this is not even worth discussing.

You don't need to know how much fuel is there JUST how much fuel it took to fill it. The difference between full to the brim and a couple of inches down the pipe is probably less than .05 of a gallon in most cars.

BTW - I actually do scientific tests of liquids from 7:00am-11:00am every Saturday. I am guessing I know a little more about science than your average Joe.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all of this mileage talk, I'm curious to see what numbers I can get on Tuesday on my 550 mi +/- trip.

The EVIC is saying 23 mpg average right now. (Just did about a 60 mi round trip today, all highway speed.) We'll see...

(on the 2.8 CRD, btw)

Second that. I have a 1200 mile round trip to Panorama, BC in August. I'sa gonna see what the KJ can get. However, on 300 mile road trips I still get almost 21 on my 6-yo kj.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second that. I have a 1200 mile round trip to Panorama, BC in August. I'sa gonna see what the KJ can get. However, on 300 mile road trips I still get almost 21 on my 6-yo kj.

Just got 21.4 MPG in my sisters 3.7 with A/C on the entire trip and through the mountains in WV, Virginia and NC.
Probably could get a little better since we averaged 80, had 3 stops only one was gas related, and not to mention I'm sure her Jeep could use some engine cleaning/maintenance.
With a new air filter, free flowing exhaust, perfectly maintenanced no A/C and closer to 70 MPH with windows up I could see 26-27 MPG on flat land.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ditto on the 21 mpg. Mine is coming up on 9 years old (built October 2001) with 140k on the clock, and 21 mpg is what I usually see on the freeway.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got 21.4 MPG in my sisters 3.7 with A/C on the entire trip and through the mountains in WV, Virginia and NC.

Probably could get a little better since we averaged 80, had 3 stops only one was gas related, and not to mention I'm sure her Jeep could use some engine cleaning/maintenance.

With a new air filter, free flowing exhaust, perfectly maintenanced no A/C and closer to 70 MPH with windows up I could see 26-27 MPG on flat land.

Your 21.4 is actually more remarkable than my 29mpg. Consumption goes up significantly above 60mph. In fact you can lose over 5% for every 5mph above 60mph. Higher speeds will have a massive impact in an SUV with a poor drag coefficient. So dropping down to 60mph from your 80mph would have got your mpg to around 27.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 21.4 is actually more remarkable than my 29mpg. Consumption goes up significantly above 60mph. In fact you can lose over 5% for every 5mph above 60mph. Higher speeds will have a massive impact in an SUV with a poor drag coefficient. So dropping down to 60mph from your 80mph would have got your mpg to around 27.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

If you don't mind me asking, how fast do you drive? Typically, highway posted speed limits are 65 mph nationwide (except for rural areas which commonly see 75 mph).

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how fast do you drive? Typically, highway posted speed limits are 65 mph nationwide (except for rural areas which commonly see 75 mph).

It really depends on my mood but most of the time I prefer to use the CC in the right hand lane. That usually means setting it in the low 60s. If I am going on a long run I'll average 75+.

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your sample size was too small to get an accurate result. I would be far more interested in what you get using half a tank or more.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not 31, keep up or shut up ;)

Really
maybe you should go back and read post #91 ,first post page 10
"Was really pleased to get 31 mpg on that run after hearing the horror stories of sub-20mpg's"

while I said you are full of BS before I now know it to be fact
you can not even keep up with your own lie

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my son a KJ today, and filled it up before a highway run. We did 62 miles and I topped the tank back up, and was really surprised to only need two gallons on the refill. Was really pleased to get 31 mpg on that run after hearing the horror stories of sub-20mpg's Most of the run was on the highway at a steady 70mph.

BTW - We are in Florida and the aircon was working hard.

here you go

so people can keep up

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on my mood but most of the time I prefer to use the CC in the right hand lane. That usually means setting it in the low 60s. If I am going on a long run I'll average 75+.

Dude you are so full of crap
with the "better than EPA by XX%" crap

first off I drive well over 50K miles a year
I personally have owned probably 15 different cars
I have tried to save gas and have not given a crap
the 1 common factor is the 3.7K I had and the 1 you are claiming this BS
I am very picky about my vehicles so they all ran good
we NEVER got better than 23-25 in the KJ
I am talking 60-65 on the Causeway ,25 miles of bridge so it dont get much flatter
the only things that I have or had that got 31 or better on the highway were
'94 Toyota Tercel ~40mpg highway with a 1.6L 4 5 speed
'96 Toyota Corolla ~35mpg Highway with a 1.8L 4 Auto
'09 VW Tiguan ~30mpg Highway with a 2.0L Turbo charged 4 Auto

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really
maybe you should go back and read post #91 ,first post page 10
"Was really pleased to get 31 mpg on that run after hearing the horror stories of sub-20mpg's"

while I said you are full of BS before I now know it to be fact
you can not even keep up with your own lie

Post 107:

Sorry guys, I made a mistake with the numbers. My son said we used 2.1 gallons, I checked the Visa statement and he is correct.

So we actually managed 29.5 mpg.

Keep up scooter.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 21-22mpgs @ 71mph
17-18mpg @ 80mph
19-20mpgs @ 65mph.

So, to put it bluntly, your hypothesis is wrong....

Actually its was EPA information. The EPA numbers are simulated driving, not a constant flat speed. They used to give you four figures in the UK: Urban; Mixed; 56mph; 70mhp. The constant speed MPG's were always pretty high and hard to achieve.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we NEVER got better than 23-25 in the KJ

So you actually managed 25mpg? Driving styles, tire pressure, car condition and weather could all add 10% to that quite easily.

For instance did you know gasoline releases up to 2% more energy in warm weather. Its close to 100f in Florida right now, so that would be a contributor. Hell I could have even had a 5-10mph tail wind, which would have easily bumped the MPH up 10%.

Like someone else said it was too small a sample really. I only posted it because we were really pleased with anything above 23-24.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.