Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2006 2wd Auto. The old EPA was 23mpg highway with average driving. I have had 20% above EPA numbers in nearly every car I have owned/driven, so 27-28mpg is not a stretch. That was a controlled run on the highway (flat), minimal breaking and maximize use of free wheeling.

Next time its topped off it will be a mix of driving and I doubt I will get over 20mpg.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Florida is pretty flat ;)

45hmph is rarely the most economical. Traditionally it was around 56mph, hence the old 55 speed limits during the oil crisis. These days many cars get peak MPG at between 62-68mph. Know my CTS, and my old Envoy both peaked at 65mph.

The only reasoning for the double-nickel is because Jimmy Carter drove the country into a recession almost as deep as we're going to see and they were trying to garner revenue for state, local, and county traffic tickets since nobody was paying taxes because they didn't have jobs.

And ThunderbirdJunkie's '02 KJ with an auto and bigger tires loves to see 70-75 for optimum fuel economy.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reasoning for the double-nickel is because Jimmy Carter drove the country into a recession almost as deep as we're going to see and they were trying to garner revenue for state, local, and county traffic tickets since nobody was paying taxes because they didn't have jobs.

The National Maximum Speed Law in the United States was a provision of the 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act that prohibited speed limits higher than 55 mph (90 km/h). This cap was intended to reduce gasoline consumption by 2.2% in response to the 1973 oil crisis.

BTW - Carter was in office from 1977.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Eh, can't win 'em all (rotflmao)

Either way, the double nickel was stupid. a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass S (for example) with a 350 and 3.07 rear gears and a 2 barrel's sweet spot was 65-70 anyway.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over the mirrors and antenna points. Cmon...the antenna? Might as well take my mudflaps, light bar, and wipers off too. Give you any ideas? LOL

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I made a mistake with the numbers. My son said we used 2.1 gallons, I checked the Visa statement and he is correct.

So we actually managed 29.5 mpg.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And ThunderbirdJunkie's '02 KJ with an auto and bigger tires loves to see 70-75 for optimum fuel economy.

Word. The U.S. Interstate system was designed (if I recall) for speeds in excess of 70mph.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word. The U.S. Interstate system was designed (if I recall) for speeds in excess of 70mph.

18.5 gallon tank, 200 miles (give or take 20) =

10.810810810810810810810810810811 miles to the gallon..

hmm, I probly should start looking into this eek2.gif

wonder where I should start?

Look on your driveway under the fuel tank for puddles of pretty coloured fluid???????????? ;)

And as a "By the way" - We use imperial gallons for things over here in the UK, Beer in pints, Fuel in litres, Measure fuel consumption in mpg, Speed limits in mph, Bananas in kg, length in metric (Young people) and Imperial (Old farts like me) We are truly f*cked up over here!!:D

My biggest question is why we and yourselves measure tyre sizes in imperial and metric at the same time? e.g. 245/70 16 - 245 mm wide x 16 Inches Diameter ??

Guess that answer will be in the same place as "Is a washer just a very short piece of piping? Hehe

Oh and our 70 mph limit on motorways was only brought in cos somebody designed, built and drove the AC Cobra on the motorway and it was deemed "Dangerous"

Anyway, loving the discussion guys!! Keep it up!! :D

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done another top up after mixed driving, it averaged 18.5mpg. It is the closest thing we get to urban but its not quite as bad as inner cities. The aircon was on full again (fan speed 3), its stinking hot down here at his time of years.

That is pretty much inline with past experiences with a Grand Cherokee and GMC Envoy. We averaged just under the upper EPA number doing our urban driving, and about 20% above the highway EPA on the highway.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done another top up after mixed driving, it averaged 18.5mpg. It is the closest thing we get to urban but its not quite as bad as inner cities. The aircon was on full again (fan speed 3), its stinking hot down here at his time of years.

That is pretty much inline with past experiences with a Grand Cherokee and GMC Envoy. We averaged just under the upper EPA number doing our urban driving, and about 20% above the highway EPA on the highway.

I average about 18.5 on the highway...
City driving with a pretty lead foot, with a bit of added weight and no performance mods other then a custom intake i get more around the 15 range...
I need to start driving better to get at least 20 on the highway and 18 in the city..

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a recent new owner of a 2004 KJ, I am delighted with my fuel economy, 10.8 to 12.6 Liters/100 Km. Winter of course will tell the tale as I expect it to go down considerably. Best of all its NOT a Diesel. Diesels are the most overrated engines going, cost more to buy, cost about the same to fuel up, at least up here in Ontario, Cost way more to service and repair. Most Dealerships up here do not have a Diesel Mechanic and they have to farm out the work to other places. That even includes the 5.9, Cummins dealerships love this engine as it keeps going back to be repaired, granted the Ford 6.0 liter is a dog and the GM Durajunk is not much better.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am going to be the one to say it bluntly
you are full of crape
there is no way you are getting over 25 on the highway in a KJ
no way you are getting 18+ city
dont fool your self
we are or were all KJ owners at some point
we know what kind of milage the 3.7 gets and those are BS numbers
Those numbers are nearly what my wife gets in a 2.0T VW
we would not have the VW if the KJ got those numbers

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average about 18.5 on the highway...
City driving with a pretty lead foot, with a bit of added weight and no performance mods other then a custom intake i get more around the 15 range...
I need to start driving better to get at least 20 on the highway and 18 in the city..

You're almost exactly where I am. On super long roadtrips I can get between 20 and 21 mpg. But city driving it's hard for me to get over 16. Just too much idle/start/stop here.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be the one to say it bluntly
you are full of crape

I will pay for airfare and give you $1,000 to come to Florida, where I will prove those numbers. If I am right you don't get the money.

The old EPA number for highway is 23mpg, and I have managed well above the EPA number on every car I have owned. My old Envoy had a highway EPA of 19mpg, and I regularly got 25-26mpg in that. Living in Florida obviously helps a lot because its flat.

Having been taught to drive properly and using a stick for 18+ years also helps a lot. For instance on the highway I practically never use the brake, and even when exiting I come off the gas a few hundred yards before the ramp. EPA tests have found a 40% difference in highway consumption between driving styles. Its practically impossible to average less than 20mpg on the highway below 75mph, so that would mean 40% above that is possible, i.e 28mpg.

no way you are getting 18+ city

Where did I mention city? I said the closest thing to Urban that we do. I am guessing I could get 15-16mpg in a real urban environment.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where in FL?
You pay gas and the $1k and I am there
I am over in LA so not very far

Dude think what you are saying before you say it
you are on a board with other people who drive the sam damn thing and NO ONE
gets even close to the MPG's you claims
I mean 6000+ people
driving the same damn rig for 8 years and not one gets better 23-25 highway
here you come and claim to better that by 5+ miles on the gallon

Last edited:

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude think what you are saying before you say it
you are on a board with other people who drive the sam damn thing and NO ONE
gets even close to the MPG's you claims
I mean 6000+ people
driving the same damn rig for 8 years and not one gets better 23-25 highway
here you come and claim to better that by 5+ miles on the gallon

We did 62 miles and the fill up was 2.1 gallons. It was a controlled flat run using CC and hardly any use of the brakes. Under similar conditions I have managed 20% above the highway EPA in several cars:

Envoy XL 4.2: EPA 19, regularly got 25mpg
Grand Cherokee 4.0: EPA 20, regularly got 25mpg
Cadillac CTS 3.6: EPA 25, can get 30+ with CC
Honda Pilot 3.5: EPA 22, regularly get 27+

The 2006 KJ had an EPA of 23 highway. That number is not the maximum its an average based on driving habits and conditions etc. Driving habits can effect highway consumption by over 30%. It definitely is not impossible to get over 28mpg out of a 3.7L KJ if the driving and conditions are right.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did 62 miles and the fill up was 2.1 gallons. It was a controlled flat run using CC and hardly any use of the brakes. Under similar conditions I have managed 20% above the highway EPA in several cars:

Envoy XL 4.2: EPA 19, regularly got 25mpg
Grand Cherokee 4.0: EPA 20, regularly got 25mpg
Cadillac CTS 3.6: EPA 25, can get 30+ with CC
Honda Pilot 3.5: EPA 22, regularly get 27+

The 2006 KJ had an EPA of 23 highway. That number is not the maximum its an average based on driving habits and conditions etc. Driving habits can effect highway consumption by over 30%. It definitely is not impossible to get over 28mpg out of a 3.7L KJ if the driving and conditions are right.
Still not believing it,I'd believe you if you said 26 or 27 but not 31.I'll take that bet,make the reservation from DIA to your nearest airport please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online