Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with your principles, I do believe it is a law that you have to at least have a driver's side mirror. That would be the only flaw I can see with this approach. Other than that, more power to ya!

We ain't all the same, so we don't need to argue. What works for one person doesn't always work for the other.

I will chime in and say I drive like I stole it...and still get about 19 MPG. Stock tires and lift so far, but not for long!! :)

On '88-up vehicles ITBJRC both side mirrors have to be present.
Present=/=folded in

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On '88-up vehicles ITBJRC both side mirrors have to be present.
Present=/=folded in

I don't know about your state, but AZ is pretty lienent with stuff like this. No fenders, no mirrors, no bumpers, no problem; as long as it drives fairly straight.

Plus if you got pulled over with your mirrors folded in, just tell the officer you went through a carwash and didn't notice they got pushed in. I can't see getting into to much trouble if they are there.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
But you are paying per litre up there; I might care in that case :eek:

How much is petrol up there per litre?

Two blocks from our home: $1.14.9 per liter for 86 octane.

We take a 50 KM/30 mile drive once a week and fill up for between: ¢99.9 and $1.02.4 per liter on average.
Saves us ¢0.12.5 too ¢0.15 per liter!
That translates to $7.98 to $9.45 savings per fill up (63 liter fill up)
Or:
$31.92 to $37.80 per month savings in fuel!

Look all your complaints are bunk. I have the summers off. Im NEVER in a hurry. If you travel 200 miles at 60 MPH it takes three hours plus some. If you travel 80 MPH it takes two hours plus some. I dont believe in throwing money away, and thats exactly what youre doing driving 80 MPH. Time is money, sure but Im retired and my time is free.

You think driving without mirrors is dumb.. Are you you incapable of looking over your shoulder before you merge? I dont do it all the time, only when on the freeway.

The point is, if you care and if you try these trucks can get very good MPG for SUV's. I care so I do.

We too stick to the speed limit 90% of the time.
Only because we're never in a hurry either!
And Jen and I manage to get pretty good fuel economy when on the highway/freeway...
But, Our KJ gets it's best fuel economy when we drive
110/120 KMH-68/75 MPH!
And that's with a roof rack/luggage basket and 11 cubic foot ski box!
Plus winch and winch mount and extra lighting...

But if you feel you are getting better milage with your side view mirrors folded in...
All the power to you Joe!

We bought our Jeep for the comfort and the off road capability, not the miles per gallon!
Mind you, It would of been nice to have a CRD!

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
My KJ is my everyday vehicle and I get 19.8 mpg average driving like an *****! I pride on being the fastest delivery driver in town and believe me I drive fast off the line to make that happen!!! I also recently made a trip to D-Town and averaged 21 mpg about 300 mile trip.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
My KJ is my everyday vehicle and I get 19.8 mpg average driving like an *****! I pride on being the fastest delivery driver in town and believe me I drive fast off the line to make that happen!!! I also recently made a trip to D-Town and averaged 21 mpg about 300 mile trip.

We manage to squeeze up too 24 MPG from time to time!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Jeep who cares about mpg's,and if you care your driving the wrong vehicle.

Just drove home to SD,662 miles,6000lbs,62mph speed due to the 5.13 gears,and 17.5-18mpgs for the entire trip.After getting past Denver the trans never really had to downshift at all,had all the power needed.Now back in SD,like it always does,it feels like I already did a V8 swap.Not kidding either,I'm roasting my tires from a 1/2 throttle start,gotta love that 93 octane gas:D.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what I would get if I didn't run 80 MPH all of the time,maybe 35-36 :eek: 79 MPH, 2225 RPMs and 21.1 MPG average NO mirrors folded in, 4 inch honest lift and big old tires
You must be registered for see images attach

Tom, you are running with your scangauge set on the same gagues as I am.....haha

When it comes to fuel economy I don't go very far out of my way to improve it. It's a jeep. It gets what it gets. When I did some experimenting with different things out of curiosity I found that the mpg differences were neglegable. There's not hardly any flat highway around here anyway.

As to turning your mirrors in, the only time I turn my mirrors in is on a trail sometimes. I use them too much on the highway. I like my little round "blind spot" mirrors anyway. Keeps me from running over priuses and such when making lane changes....:D

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, turning the mirrors in on the hw seems like an insane idea to me. I usually get around 18-19mpg with some unlocking of the torque on some hills. Using cruise on hilly terrain will usually lower your mpg. I only use cruise when its flat then cancel cruise on the hills. Comparing mpg numbers in different areas is kinda dumb. Around here the speed limit is 70mph, so I typically set cruise at 75mph and with the hills, it will down shift unless I cancel which kills the mpg. If Im really easy the scan gauge and EVIC will say 21mpg.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C'mon guys, if you've ever owned a TJ, YJ or older Jeep you'd actually appreciate the mileage you get with your Libby.

I drive three Jeeps;
95 YJ 15 MPG
04 Liberty 22 MPG
10 Patriot 29MPG

Actually you can drive a Jeep with really great gas mileage but it's a Compass :eek:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a CRD owner and I'm not about to do any of that crazy stuff to get a few MPG. not folding in mirrors thats nuts I need them to see well. I have my tires up to 36 psi stock recomendation is 33psi. I will use cruise and air on the highway but mostly around town no air unless its super hot. Acelerate smooth is good but not poke around. As far as speed I like to go fast. last summer totally stock I got 29mpg on a long trip doing 70-80 all the way. if I slowed down to 68-70 I am sure I may see over 30.

around town I get 18-21 mpg. the lower in the winter in the winter...... still good for an SUV.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I do:

I have Firestone Destination LE's and I keep them at 45 PSI.
On the highway I fold in my mirrors.
I take a long time to get to highway speed.
I never drive faster than 60 MPH.
I take my antenna off on long drives and use XM.
I ALWAYS use cruise control.

Doing these things recently got me MPG numbers of 34, 34.7 and 35 MPG on a road trip to Arizona.

I also ALWAYS use a fuel additive in every tank. Lubromoly, Stanadyne or Amsoil.

My best number has been 38 MPG. That was with the stock tires and they were very low on traction. Fuel numbers arent new with me. I have a 2001 TDI Jetta that gets 62-65 MPG on the highway.
Is 45 PSI even in the recommended range of running those tires? That isn't safe to me anway. Once you get that high, you are just cuping the tires, wearing them out sooner. Buying tires before their typical life service is up does nothing but offset the gas $$ you are saving.
I don't think the offset of folding in your mirrors and the decline in safety is worth the .02 MPG you are getting from doing it. You're driving a freakin' brick to start with. It is probably illegal in most states anyway. Folding the mirros in while driving is that same as removing them and you are required to have at least one on the driver's side. You get a ticket for that, you will erase any savings you might have gotten by folding them in over the whole period of time you have been doing that x 10.
People that take a long time to get to highway speed are a hazard and quite annoying.
People who don't drive at least 5 mph under the speed limit are a hazard and quite annoying. It is very frustrating to come up on someone like you and having to slow way down and then have to get up the speed/nail the gas to get in the fast lane to get around you. While you are saving a gallon for yourself, you are making a lot more people waste even more gas around you. You are basically becoming an uneccessary obstacle in the road.
Seriously, you remove your antenna? Why remove the niceties of driving to save hardly anything.

The only thing I understand is the cruise control idea.

Fuild additives in every tank decreases mileage. While I agree that fuel system cleaners work well when used at oil change intervals to help keep the system clean, it doesn't make sense for every tank. Even if it saves mileage, you aren't going to save enough in mileage to offset the cost of the additive.

If you are simply seeing what you can get squeeze out of your Jeep for a few tanks, fine. Have at it. You ought to remove everything in the interior except for the driver's seat, steering wheel and pedals. But your tacktics aren't saving you any money if that is what you are shooting for.

It seems to me like you are a little obsessed with this mileage thing. I can understand people who try to drive normal, don't race around and try to keep their vehicle in top condition to get as good a mileage as possible for normal driving, but trying to squeeze out every 1/10 of a MPG constantly only removes the driver from the experience of driving, is unsafe when taken to far, has you worrying more than you need to be and is generally pointless in full reality. What do you ultimately gain from getting 38.1 as opposed to 37.8?

Last edited:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might care a little about gas mileage when I move south and buy a convertible, but not much. Then I'll be driving something that is half the weight of my 4,800 lb Jeep.

Drive what you enjoy and enjoy what you drive. Even if I only got 5 MPG, I like my Jeep. If I wanted to spit in my gas tank and go 37 miles on that one loogie, I'd buy a Prius.

Last edited:

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 gets a lot better milage than my old 02
City=17
Country(60mph+Stop signs)=25, i reset my AVG and was gettin 29 until i got back to the city
Freeway=20-23
and to whoever said it was a sin to go 80 on a freeway, have you been to west michigan? haha around here i can go 80 in the right lane and people still pass me. going the speed limit is like a sin cuz everyone gets mad

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geeesh - so much hostility, Joe likes his Jeep and he likes good mileage - why is that a problem?
if the mirrors really bother you - you can get motorcycle sport mirrors that meet the laws - they're standard for hypermiler folks.
Diesel additives are to improve the Cetane rating - it always improves mileage the key balancing it so that you don't pay more for the additive than you get from the mileage improvement.
Lots of folks run 40psi in tires - 45 isn't that far away - it's a lot better than the 'max the sidewall number that's been mentioned a few times, you can check the wear with a chalk test in about 10 minutes.
If I want to run 60 - I have to stick to back roads - the Interstates are 75-80mph - even the slow trucks in the right lane are faster than that - but if I have time the back roads are more fun anyway.

They're suggestions - if you don't like them - don't do them.

(FYI - I can get photos of my scangauge saying 9999 - that doesn't mean I can average that for the tank)

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ATX. In Washington State you have to have two mirrors. Drives side and interior rear view is all you need. It not a big deal. Im a careful driver. I only posted this to give an example of what was possible with the CRD. Take the information and do with it what you will. :D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I didnt think you could use a Scan Gauge with the CRD? Something about the truck having two computers and it messing with them.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Scangauge works intermittently, normally about 15-20 minutes, occasionally much longer and then it locks up - doesn't come back until you turn the engine off/on,

The main point is never use cruise control with the Scangauge plugged in - it overloads the buss, confuses the computer and it'll kick out of overdrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.