Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Tis interesting for sure,
Only one problem with hypermiling - it is hypopower, hypotorque but I say each to their own.
Some people get real kicks from truly amazing figures.
On the same bent, How much does a true wheel alignment gain you in terms of reducing rolling resistance....some of the folk committed to this are truly cluey....some, like some of us :D (speaking personally of course, and I think Ry wud fit into my group here) have a few 'roos loose in their top paddock.

I think you can do it if you chew your cud, wear a hat and squint while you drive ;)
Cheers
Auberon

For that matter, if you want better mileage, the tires should be as skinny as possible!

Oh, more than a few 'roos loose upstairs Auberon!:D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that there was a name for those special folks that do
some of the stupidest and unsafe things with their vehicles just to
squeeze out an extra 0.10 th. of a Kilometer out of a gallon of fuel!

Coming from a guy with the nastiest avatar on the planet. Talk about stupid? Hmm.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after a 750+ mile round trip and less than 25 gallons burned
driving 80 or so on the highway
passing at engine speeds up to and over 5K and some of that 700 ,~150, was city driving
which again when I am driving is by no means slow ,some would consider it border unsafe
I would challenge any CRD to come close

300 miles at 80mph = less than 4 hours including lunch and piss breaks
300 miles at 60mph = 5 hours + lunch and piss breaks
by the time you get to the beach I have been there for over an hour and am 4 beers deep
oh and then there is the fuel cost
unleaded =~$2.60 a gallon so it cost me $28 or so in fuel to get there
Diesel = ~$3 a gallon so at 34mpg (which I doubt) it cost you 26.5 to get there
so woohoo you saved $1.50
I would pay $3 just to get you to go the speed limit then I would save gas by not having to pass so often

or I could just drink cheep beer and make up the $1.50 waiting for you

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No intent to rob the thread but:
being from the bush in Australia the first time I saw "that" avatar I saw it as one angry mongrel merino ram.....especially with the wrinkles on his nose.:eek: That old ink blot syndrome? :rolleyes::D

As we go all over the world, we need to keep in the backs of our minds the size of our gallons.
Approximately: 1 imperial gallon is 4.56 liters and 1 US gallon is 3.79 liters.
So an imperial gallon is 1.2 X 1 US gallon.
Cheers
Auberon

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Approximately: 1 imperial gallon is 4.56 liters and 1 US gallon is 3.79 liters.
So an imperial gallon is 1.2 X 1 US gallon.

Wait. What? What the hell is an imperial gallon? I thought the rest of the world used the metric system. Who uses imperial gallons, you Aussies? I now feel ripped off. I want my milk to come in imperial gallons.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Aussies and the English go by imperial gallons.
Imperial gallon is like 4.2 liters vs 3.8 liters for the American gallon.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMMMh I remember the imperial gallon of milk...WAS GOOD. OK that dates me.

It's just that we (here) should be using liters but if people miss this cos they have grown up on the metric system and read your figures in gallons,put it into the figures you guys get, well they poop themselves and begin to wonder why their consumption is so bad. Some folks don't know there is a difference, it certainly isn't taught in schools - I was an agriculture and science teacher for a while.

We are supposed to use liters here and that's how we buy fuel, but I have to say mpg means one heck of a lot more to me than litres per hundred freaking kilometres.

Sorry to correct Thunderbirjunkie but an Imperial Gallon is, as I said 4.546 liters.
Auberon

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
to hell with gas mileage. I can top the tank off to where fuel is dripping from the gas cap, and have the bastard emptied in less than 200 miles.. RARELY do I exceed 200 miles to the tank. that's highway and city combined driving with alot of A/C.. I think the highway on-ramps is what eats most of it up.

The fat bastard will get up and go, but at a cost- I need to get that bumper sticker that says "WASTING THE GAS YOUR HYBRID SAVES"

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
midgear, even all city driving foot to the floor most of the time ThunderbirdJunkie is still getting 14-15ish mpg. You have something wrong with your Jeep dude.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
to hell with gas mileage. I can top the tank off to where fuel is dripping from the gas cap, and have the bastard emptied in less than 200 miles.. RARELY do I exceed 200 miles to the tank. that's highway and city combined driving with alot of A/C.. I think the highway on-ramps is what eats most of it up.

The fat bastard will get up and go, but at a cost- I need to get that bumper sticker that says "WASTING THE GAS YOUR HYBRID SAVES"

Oklahoma is pretty flat at least when I was there last. You should do better than that I would think, Midgear. My average is better even in the mountains around here. Must be the downhill part that is good for my jeep...haha

Dave

Lashlarue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Sport, with K&N, and Magnaflow catback, I average 20 in town, with about 30% freeway driving. On the highway I get 25+ at 65mph, drops to 23+ at 70 but will get as much as 28 at 60.BTW I'm running Mobil1
You must be registered for see images attach

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get roughly 14 with mostly city and up to a lil over 18 cruising at 70-75 with the cruise control on with 95% being flat highway (san jose to fresno or paso robles).
I've thought about ways to increase mileage like exhaust and intake restriction but it would take a LONG time to recover the cost of the mod in fuel savings and when I had restrictive exhaust in my old ranchero I got 13mpg whether I babied it or drove with the skinny pedal on the floor. When I put ****** long tubes and dumped the 2 chambers at the axle I got 15 babying it and about 6 with the foot on the floor (really smoking those 275's until freeway speed if I was exceptionally bored).
The turbo car got 26 if just cruising the city and highway and about 15 on saturday nights.
The bike was between 25-50mpg (almost never just putting around).
The jeep is my "stay alive" vehicle :p

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Coming from a guy with the nastiest avatar on the planet. Talk about stupid? Hmm.

You are funny!

I never once had anything negative to say about your method of saving fuel...

All I said was that:
I didn't realize that there was a name for those special folks that do some of the stupidest and unsafe things with their vehicles just to squeeze out an extra 0.10 th. of a Kilometer out of a gallon of fuel!

That is all I said!

If you want to fold your side view mirrors in while driving on the motorway, than so be it!
I could care less...

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bro you have something very wrong with your KJ
I can get 250+ out of my TJ ,mixed driving but mostly city
and that is with only 15 gallons
the KJ hold 18 gallons ,IIRC, so even at 15 gallons per fill up
that is 13 mpg or the same as my 9000# F250 with a 5.4 gas engine
which is twice the size of your KJ and I drive it like I stole it

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya we got 18.5 with our 04 today on the highway but we get an average of 17 around town, but I'm no heavy foot either...

Midgear

Reaction score
18.5 gallon tank, 200 miles (give or take 20) =

10.810810810810810810810810810811 miles to the gallon..

hmm, I probly should start looking into this eek2.gif

wonder where I should start?

Status
Not open for further replies.