Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But my 21-22mpgs was REAL LIFE driving on the highway with REAL LIFE traffic, I don't think I was simulating anything. :p
City I'm averaging 16.9mpgs, and thats ALL city, stop and go.

My run was more of a stimulation really. I had my 16-year-old in the car (it’s his car) so I wanted to drive very sensibly. We had just picked it up so I took it really easy.

Your urban mileage is excellent. We have managed 18.5 (suburban) and the last top up was actually 15.5 mpg, that was with a lot of stop start driving and popping to shops etc.

On the highway driving habits can make a whopping 33% difference in MPG. On a flat surface the Jeep freewheels very well with stock tires at 36psi. If you totally avoid breaking and set the CC at a good economical speed (55-65mph) I am sure you will see a 20% improvement on your numbers above.

Car condition can also play a part. Maybe we just got the perfect combination of weather, roads, driver and car condition. It was such a small trip that a freakish result is possible.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have an engine with almost 7k on it, tires with 70-80% tread, had a lift on it, and used CC going 71mph getting the 21-22, with a tail wind I could get up to 24mph.
I've gone though all the speeds and the best highway speed is 71mph. Its even better than 70 and 72...its weird.
I used to drive at 65mph on the highway all the time until I went though different speeds and found 71mph to get the best mpgs without going too slow.

Funnily enough I think my CC was just above 70mph. It can be weird though. My last two cars have had computers with instant MPH and its interesting seeing the difference between similar speeds sometimes.

Ironically I bought my current car to improve MPG when I was doing a large commute. My old Envoy had a highway EPA of 19mpg but I was getting 22-23mpg on my commute. I bought the Cadillac CTS because it had a highway EPA of 25mpg and I figured I could get 28+. On that commuted I never average above 24mpg with the CTS. The only car I ever bought with one eye on economy and it fell well short of expectations. The CTS does do a lot better in stop start traffic though, and you can get 28-29mpg on a flat road at 67mph.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I use for my mpg's, I use my overhead EVIC console for all that data and such. I love watching my mpg's drop to 3mpg's when I floor it. :D

What is the best you have seen for the instant MPG on the EVIC? Obviously when the gas pedal is in use, not free wheeling.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
His Jeep is an 02...the engine has 7k on it, and it's 4wd, and for sale.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best you have seen for the instant MPG on the EVIC? Obviously when the gas pedal is in use, not free wheeling.

I don't have the EVIC but I just bought the scangauge. When I'm not freewheeling but driving on a very flat surface which essentially just uses a little gas to maintain speed, I think I want to say I've seen mileages of 23 or 24 mpg. But that's really irrelevant because I simply don't get that with in town driving, and the best I've ever gotten with solid highway is just under 21. The overall average the Scangauge is reporting seems to be accurate. Over the last few days it's been reporting around 15mpg in town which is usually around where I hover during the work week.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped logging my fuel economy... I need fuel, and todays economy *****... depressing to see how much I put in the tank

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped logging my fuel economy... I need fuel, and todays economy *****... depressing to see how much I put in the tank

I hear ya :mad: I am just interested because it’s my sons car and I’’ be filling it up. Probably not the best car for a student without a job in terms of economy but other than that it’s a GREAT car for a teenager. Actually I wouldn’t mind taking it for myself.

I think driving habits make a huge difference to MPG. My wife is a pretty good driver, definitely better than average. When she had the Grand Cherokee she averaged around 17 doing suburban driving. I used to get over 19mpg doing the same type of driving. Difference is my brake usage is minimal because I am good at judging traffic and freewheeling quite a lot.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's obvious that mjs is full of shit because he keeps calling a Jeep a CAR.

That is rich from someone that doesn't know about the history behind 55mph speed limits or when Carter was in office.

I am actually British by birth, and car is the generic term used in the same context has vehicle in the US.

BTW - Don't you find it embarrassing that someone born overseas that didn't live in the US until 2001 knows more about US history than you appear to know.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually British by birth, and car is the generic term used in the same context has vehicle in the US.

BTW - Don't you find it embarrassing that someone born overseas that didn't live in the US until 2001 knows more about US history than you appear to know.
If you know so much about US history you would know why Jeepers get a little PO'd when you call a Jeep a "car",thus not calling it a "car".

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know so much about US history you would know why Jeepers get a little PO'd when you call a Jeep a "car",thus not calling it a "car".

That wouldn’t actually be US history now would it. It’s a popular culture and language thing, just semantics.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That is rich from someone that doesn't know about the history behind 55mph speed limits or when Carter was in office.

Not really. You are obviously older than ThunderbirdJunkie, and the rest of the world knows what president is in office of the US at all times.

Just knowing a little bit about EL PRESIDENTE before ThunderbirdJunkie was born does not mean you know more about US history; it just means that you respond to obvious troll posts and take shit way too seriously.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. You are obviously older than ThunderbirdJunkie, and the rest of the world knows what president is in office of the US at all times.

I could barely walk in 1973 when the speed limit was introduced, and I was definitely not aware of where America was let alone who the president was until well into the 80s.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear how knowing when the 55 mph speed limit was enacted means knowing more about American history than somebody who doesn't know/care because it's no longer relevant information.

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear how knowing when the 55 mph speed limit was enacted means knowing more about American history than somebody who doesn't know/care because it's no longer relevant information.

You don't know/care about very much do you?

Seriously, my post was a flippant rebuff to your lame pathetic insults .......and I take the Internet too seriously? ...oh the irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.