Fuel saving suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asked by a fellow member to post something related to general fuel savings. I have an '05 CRD and Im getting some really great numbers. Stats:
2005 CRD KJ
Inmotion stage two chip
Suncoast TC
Transco shift kit
2.5" cat back exhaust

Here's what I do:

I have Firestone Destination LE's and I keep them at 45 PSI.
On the highway I fold in my mirrors.
I take a long time to get to highway speed.
I never drive faster than 60 MPH.
I take my antenna off on long drives and use XM.
I ALWAYS use cruise control.

Doing these things recently got me MPG numbers of 34, 34.7 and 35 MPG on a road trip to Arizona.

I also ALWAYS use a fuel additive in every tank. Lubromoly, Stanadyne or Amsoil.

My best number has been 38 MPG. That was with the stock tires and they were very low on traction. Fuel numbers arent new with me. I have a 2001 TDI Jetta that gets 62-65 MPG on the highway.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asked by a fellow member to post something related to general fuel savings. I have an '05 CRD and Im getting some really great numbers. Stats:
2005 CRD KJ
Inmotion stage two chip
Suncoast TC
Transco shift kit
2.5" cat back exhaust

Here's what I do:

I have Firestone Destination LE's and I keep them at 45 PSI.
On the highway I fold in my mirrors.
I take a long time to get to highway speed.
I never drive faster than 60 MPH.
I take my antenna off on long drives and use XM.
I ALWAYS use cruise control.

Doing these things recently got me MPG numbers of 34, 34.7 and 35 MPG on a road trip to Arizona.

I also ALWAYS use a fuel additive in every tank. Lubromoly, Stanadyne or Amsoil.

My best number has been 38 MPG. That was with the stock tires and they were very low on traction. Fuel numbers arent new with me. I have a 2001 TDI Jetta that gets 62-65 MPG on the highway.

:eek:

That's obscene.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's mine:

Take the LR3! (No shit, actually is better on gas)

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine:

Take the LR3! (No shit, actually is better on gas)

My best with the KJ is the same as my best with the v8 f150 I had. The KJ just isn't very strong so it has to work harder to get up to and maintain speed.

That reminds me of a test Top Gear did using a Prius and I believe an M3 at the race track. To keep up with the Prius going balls out the M3 got something like twice the mileage the prius did since it wasn't working as hard to go as fast as the prius.

Edit: I was waayyyy off..
Prius=17.2mpg M3=19.4mpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKTOyiKLARk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKTOyiKLARk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going over 60... i feel like a did a sin today on the highways. I avg a speed of 80. (late day of work and wanted to get home. I cut 15 minutes off my time) :D

how do you drive with out mirrors? I'd be blind without mine. It's all i use.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving with out mirrors DUMB
Driving 60 on the highway ,not as bad as long as you keep
to the right
best way to save fuel in a KJ is to sell it
our VW Tiguan is almost as big and we can do 70+
and still get just over 30mpg
best part we don't have to fart around getting up to speed
and we still have our mirrors and radio

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's to much work for a minimal increase, at least with non-CRD KJ's. I roll around with the windows down, the a/c cranked, rolling oversized tires, jack rabbit starts in stop and go traffic, 80 mph on the highway; all to the tune of 14-15 mpg's. Gotta love it!

When I first got my junk I did try to follow all the rules to get the maximum mpg. Nice slow starts, always using the cruise control, not going over 65 mph. Tried a bunch of tips and tricks and I averaged around 15.8 mpg's. I'll pony up the extra 3 bucks on the gallon of wasted gas to not care.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In the city with the KJ I get about 14-15. Rover, 16 easy. And weighs nearly 3 tons.

Highway, not to sure. Probably about the same, aerodynamics of a brick.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, bought the rig to enjoy it. Didn't buy the Jeep for MPG...

+1

I average 16.7 MPG usually. According to my overhead computer, anyway - never did it manually. I do turn off O/D when passing people though. Gives it extra power, making it easier to pass people which I've heard gives you better MPG because your engine isn't working as hard to get the speed up. I turn O/D off going up hills as well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder what I would get if I didn't run 80 MPH all of the time,maybe 35-36 :eek: 79 MPH, 2225 RPMs and 21.1 MPG average NO mirrors folded in, 4 inch honest lift and big old tires
You must be registered for see images attach

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look all your complaints are bunk. I have the summers off. Im NEVER in a hurry. If you travel 200 miles at 60 MPH it takes three hours plus some. If you travel 80 MPH it takes two hours plus some. I dont believe in throwing money away, and thats exactly what youre doing driving 80 MPH. Time is money, sure but Im retired and my time is free.

You think driving without mirrors is dumb.. Are you you incapable of looking over your shoulder before you merge? I dont do it all the time, only when on the freeway.

The point is, if you care and if you try these trucks can get very good MPG for SUV's. I care so I do.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When one buys a KJ, they are not looking for good gas mileage ;) Highest I've gotten mine to was a little over 22 mpg, and it's been averaging 20.2 for the last few weeks according to the auto computer.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look all your complaints are bunk. I have the summers off. Im NEVER in a hurry. If you travel 200 miles at 60 MPH it takes three hours plus some. If you travel 80 MPH it takes two hours plus some. I dont believe in throwing money away, and thats exactly what youre doing driving 80 MPH. Time is money, sure but Im retired and my time is free.

You think driving without mirrors is dumb.. Are you you incapable of looking over your shoulder before you merge? I dont do it all the time, only when on the freeway.

The point is, if you care and if you try these trucks can get very good MPG for SUV's. I care so I do.

It's an apples to doughnuts comparison. You drive a CRD, most of us don't.

Plus, you CRD guys are all a little crazy. I think it has something to do with the diesel fumes :D

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score

While I don't disagree with your principles, I do believe it is a law that you have to at least have a driver's side mirror. That would be the only flaw I can see with this approach. Other than that, more power to ya!

We ain't all the same, so we don't need to argue. What works for one person doesn't always work for the other.

I will chime in and say I drive like I stole it...and still get about 19 MPG. Stock tires and lift so far, but not for long!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online