First Time Poster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJGirl26

Reaction score
First Time Poster w/ a question!

Hey there! Been lurking around for a while, finally got the time to post something.

Got an '02 Liberty Sport, had her since January 2010 at 108k miles, now up to 136k. Installed the EVIC, Mopar fogs & tow hooks, and my dad and I snagged a Selec-Trac 4x4 system out of another libby in the junkyard. Good thing they had the holiday special and trannys were only $100. Only thing now is to lift her (definitely been reading up on those here).

Only problem right now is the Full-Time light on the dash won't come on when Full-Time is engaged. The Part-time, and the 4Lo lights come on and go off when they are supposed to. Replaced the T-Case sensor, and it didn't solve the problem. I've researched and haven't found anything about it online yet. Wondering what other ideas there might be, maybe a computer issue?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put in a Selec-trac TC, then the original KJ most likely didn't have a full-time option. Thus, your heep has no full time light on the dash to begin with. At least that is what I would imagine the case is.

And welcome. Nice looking Libby you got there.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum KJGirl.

No bulb in the instrument cluster to illuminate thr full-time indicator is my guess since it didn't have full-time from the factory is my guess?

Dave

KJGirl26

Reaction score
The PCM/BCM/IC does not read the full time if it was not originally built and programmed for full time,the bulb is there though.

That's what we were thinking.

It's an LED light in the cluster, so we assumed it might that have been bad, but I couldn't find a way to replace it (it's inside the cluster unlike the usual dash bulbs). We took the BCM out of the junk one for the EVIC because that wouldn't work without it, but not the PCM. Do you think that's worth a shot at trying to get?

Thanks!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice KJ you have - and really good mods to get yourself started. Especially the SelecTrac transfer case.

I don't know about swapping PCM's - since you know you have Full Time available and the Part Time light works you can't hurt anything when you engage 4WD given the info you're being provided.

In other words, if you engage 4WD and the Part Time light is on you know not to drive on high-traction surfaces (wet roads, dry pavement, etc.) But in Full Time you can drive anywhere you want at any speed - same as when you're in 2WD. Since the 4LO light also works the only concern should be when you're in Part Time to reinforce that you need to be on slippery surfaces when it's engaged. Hope that makes sense (coffee's still kicking in!)

Great to have you here on the forum!

Bob

KJGirl26

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice KJ you have - and really good mods to get yourself started. Especially the SelecTrac transfer case.

I don't know about swapping PCM's - since you know you have Full Time available and the Part Time light works you can't hurt anything when you engage 4WD given the info you're being provided.

In other words, if you engage 4WD and the Part Time light is on you know not to drive on high-traction surfaces (wet roads, dry pavement, etc.) But in Full Time you can drive anywhere you want at any speed - same as when you're in 2WD. Since the 4LO light also works the only concern should be when you're in Part Time to reinforce that you need to be on slippery surfaces when it's engaged. Hope that makes sense (coffee's still kicking in!)

Great to have you here on the forum!

Bob

Definitely makes sense!
I knew that you shouldn't drive on-road (any condition of rain, etc.) in part-time (something I learned here when I was lurking!). Also, I noticed between Part-Time and Full-Time in the soft sand it didn't seem to make a difference for which selection you were in, both seemed to pull evenly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what we were thinking.

It's an LED light in the cluster, so we assumed it might that have been bad, but I couldn't find a way to replace it (it's inside the cluster unlike the usual dash bulbs). We took the BCM out of the junk one for the EVIC because that wouldn't work without it, but not the PCM. Do you think that's worth a shot at trying to get?

Thanks!
You'd have to have the PCM reprogrammed or it will not work and then it will be programmed just like the PCM you have now so the light will still not light up.

I don't know why anyone would want the 242 t-case,it's a picky SOB of a t-case and the "J" series(and "C" series) are pretty weak.Now the "AMG" 242 is a monster with none of the shifting issues but no 2wd selection either(and no it will not work in a KJ).

KJGirl26

Reaction score
You'd have to have the PCM reprogrammed or it will not work and then it will be programmed just like the PCM you have now so the light will still not light up.

Why would you need it to be reprogrammed?

It was the only one there to take.. Haha.
Useful libbys are definitely hard to find in junkyards here. We were lucky to find this one virtually untouched; 2 weeks later 3 doors and the rear hatch were gone. Now it's missing everything (somebody even torched off the passenger side front fender for reasons I can't think of).

I like the Full Time option too. However, I know how picky it can be. Friend of mine has a lifted XJ and it just kept popping out of 4 until he finally just replaced it with the other.

Last edited: