possible traction control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertyjoe

Reaction score
thanks for the forum

I've been lurking a bit but thankfully this is the first time in the couple years of 2007 KJ ownership I feel the need to reach out for help.

The first time I suspected a problem was getting into a driveway with a windrow a couple feet tall in four wheel drive. The front left grumbled a bit when somewhat agressively using the throttle.

The other day I noticed the noise again in two wheel drive when merging into traffic from a stop, spinning a bit on a wet road.

Today going uphill in heavy slush the traction conrtol light came on and the car nearly came to a stop with traffic forced to go around.

I found this post "...i could feel the abs unit growl. Computer thought i was in a skid and would actually cut throttle while going up hill, foot on the throttle..." and immediately felt like this is similar to what happeend today and the periodic grumbling from the front left.

Am I on the right track here? I do NOT want to find myself again, in traffic, without power, in a vehicle that doesn't like gettng it's feet wet in the winter.

sincerely

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the system checked for codes, the traction control uses the abs sensors.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same problem a couple of years ago. It was one of the rear abs sensor. I learned that if you push esp off button you will disable them and can continue driving without any major issue. I will try to drive with both rear abs sensor unplugged and see what happens in your case.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hope that 'nanny' controls like this can be crippled by pulling a fuse or two.

Do the rear ABS sensors provide the speedo input? Or does it still have the speed sensor in the diff pumpkin for that?

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Had a similar issue with my daughters 2006. I just hit the ESP button to disable the system so she could still drive it until I could trouble shoot the system. It ended up being multiple abs sensors. In the end I just decided to replace all 4 of them since they were the originals and Rockauto has the parts so cheap.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I would hope that 'nanny' controls like this can be crippled by pulling a fuse or two.

Do the rear ABS sensors provide the speedo input? Or does it still have the speed sensor in the diff pumpkin for that?
I think the ABS sensor is in the rear diff through '05 and then out at the hubs for ESP '06 on.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the ABS sensor is in the rear diff through '05 and then out at the hubs for ESP '06 on.

Our 05 just has the plain speed sensor in the diff pumpkin. Factory non-ABS.

For 06-07, I didnt know if they use 2 sensors or 3 on the rear end.

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score

Just 2…one mounted out on each end of the axle. Takes about 15 minutes to change those out.

Libertyjoe

Reaction score
thanks for the replies

We, unfortunately, only get snow here for ? 2 weeks of the year, maybe, and the rest is turning into a drought so I may not be able to test this again for a while.

I'll try to update when I can.

cheers!

p.s.

heard something that sounded a lot like clanging today from the front left, going through some light slush in two wheel drive

It's too bad cause I was watching the snow fall thinking the little truck usually does pretty good and I was looking forward to splashing around a bit.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As far as I know, the kj with abs system don't have the speed sensor in the diff.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only two abs rear sensor. These one have nothing to do with speed sensor. I mean You can unplugged them and vehicle keeps showing speed in cluster

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the kj with abs system don't have the speed sensor in the diff.
The 04 I have for parts has ABS (must be front only?) because it only has the one sensor on the rear diff; one at each front wheel though.

Maybe the 06-07 can derive a speedo signal so long as any one of the wheel sensors is working.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what is a shown in all data for kj 2004 3.7

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-09-08-15-48-829_com.android.camera.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-09-08-15-48-829_com.android.camera.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.