Failed emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy you guys get screwed with emissions.There is no emissions where I'm at in CO(yet) but I had my KJ tested when I moved here and I had to come back since my KJ was putting less emissions then a '08 ULEV certified vehicle,they had there stuff calibrated and retested my KJ with the same result from the sniffer.If all else fails I'll put SD plates back on since I still have a residence in SD so I can legally have them on here in CO and zero emissions in SD.

Plus soon my KJ will be untowable without a key since I'll have to big of tires for everything but a flatbed tow truck.Don't think the tow company wants to buy a whole new drivetrain.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Same here.
No Air Care for at least another year.
Besides, it's just your local Government's way of sucking money out of ever bodies back pocket.

I remember the useless F wad that placed my Mini's back wheels on the dyno then reved the engine and popped the clutch and the Min peeled rubber all the way out of the inspection bay!
Idiots answer? Oh, I didn't know it was front wheel drive!
And the very next car...
A Porsche 911 Turbo!
And the very same moron placed the magnetic engine testing unit (As the Effing retards at Air Care here in B.C. like to call it!) on the front of the Porsche, then "Proclaims"
I can't get a reading from your engine! Are you sure your motor is running?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The worst thing about it, not ALL of PA has to have their car emissioned. Only the counties that HAVE MONEY, population centers. Butler county, which almost anywhere you love is in the boonies, they don't have to have emissions. I can WALK less than a mile to the Armstrong county line from my house, I have to have emissions, they do not.

This state is THE WORST state I have ever been in... I really do hate it here, with a passion, but I am stuck here for now. Hoping to get a job in Texas or something, because I have had it. Businesses LEAVE the state, so they do this shit, and raise taxes to make up for the losses. STUPID GOVERNMENT...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here in FL we don't have testing.....yet. I here it may start in 2010.:(

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus soon my KJ will be untowable without a key since I'll have to big of tires for everything but a flatbed tow truck.Don't think the tow company wants to buy a whole new drivetrain.

Wow, your tow companies are soft. Every tow company under the sun up here has a flatbed tow at their disposal. They even used a flatbed tow truck to cart off my Buick. (worst car on the planet, period) They use the flatbed trucks to tow the motorcycles off Alki Beach when the crotch rocket kiddies park in the "Mobile Precinct Parking Only" section. Bottom line, if they're gonna tow you, it don't matter what you're driving, you're coming back to an empty space.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, your tow companies are soft. Every tow company under the sun up here has a flatbed tow at their disposal. They even used a flatbed tow truck to cart off my Buick. (worst car on the planet, period) They use the flatbed trucks to tow the motorcycles off Alki Beach when the crotch rocket kiddies park in the "Mobile Precinct Parking Only" section. Bottom line, if they're gonna tow you, it don't matter what you're driving, you're coming back to an empty space.
Oh they all have flatbeds but unless you can get the trans in out of park they will be able to move it without damaging the drivetrain since those dolly's won't work on my big tires.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
You do not need emissions, if people would tune up every 2-years, it would not be a problem. Also, with today's technology, it should not be required until the vehicle reaches 80K miles, which is the Federal warranty on emissions parts.

As I said I have run a 2000 Avenger ES with no PCV, or EGR, and the car passed EVERY YEAR. I hollowed out the PVC and retubed it to the intake manifold (where it was) with a catch can in between. I disconnected the Vacuum hose to the EGR, capped the nozzle, and put the hose back on. Passed all visual inspection, which NO ONE does anyway, and they are supposed to. It's only a way to gangster money from the people. I told the people AFTER they passed and stickered the car, what I did. They just blinked in amazement, and I drive off... The SES light would come on for the EGR, so 2-days before the emissions test, I reset the ECM, it stays off for 4-5 days. You need one day of normal driving to get values in the ECM. Worked like a charm, got max HP and MPG from the car, never under 23MPG. 30+ on the Highway, a Mitsubishi 2.5 V6.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need emissions, if people would tune up every 2-years, it would not be a problem. Also, with today's technology, it should not be required until the vehicle reaches 80K miles, which is the Federal warranty on emissions parts.
I agree with keeping your vehicle maintained,heck a buddy of mine and I got a '86 Suburban with a '69 oval port 454 to pass emissions in California with only straight headers,granted we had to pay off the guy for the visual inspection but it passed the sniffer test to '01 standards(tested in late '00) and that was with a 750cfm Holley carb that was stamped "Not for use in California" on it.

As far as the emission warranty goes that only covers 2 items for the 80,000miles,the PCM and the cats if both have no visible signs of damage(from offroad or such).All the other emission equipment is only covered for the 36,000/3year bumper to bumper warranty(O2 sensors,EVAP stuff,and such).

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PA actually has more strict laws about some of this.

Emissions law, was changed to now, you can't get the car inspected till it passes emissions. If the car is not inspected, no matter WHERE you park it? If they (any police dept, that has NOTHING better to do) sees it is out of inspection, or registration, they take it. Even if it is in your car port, or your own private parking spot, no inspection, no plate sticker, they will come and take it. They have gone as far as to come to your door, and tell you, if it is not inspected or plate stickered within XX days, they are coming to tow it. If some jerk, knows you have a car in your GARAGE, and is not inspected, and they call the police? They will tell you the same thing. In PA, you own NOTHING, everything you have can be taken from you, starting with the feds, ALL THE WAY DOWN to the municipality...

A friend of ours had a Mercedes Diesel, was out of inspection for over a year, but the car was covered. Well, she uncovered it because she was selling it? No more than a week goes by, the local cops told her she had 30 days to get it inspected, or they are towing, it RIGHT OFF HER PROPERTY, out of her parking space! She had to sell that practically for NOTHING to get rid of it, or lose everything. And we're a free nation? I don't think so... Meanwhile we have the Constitution, but no one cares about that lil'ole thing anymore.

State and Federal Government has gone too far people, we need to give the entire governmental bodies an enema...

:mad::mad::mad:unbelievable! so your telling me that my old fairlane i held onto for 8 years and didnt drive it, and let sit in my drive under a tarp for restoring some day...in your state , or rather in america, the gov , and the state would take it??? yeah, i do believe you. its very sad and pathetic. ild just have to be forced into that situation, but i just might shoot someone over that...theft is all it is, legalized theft. this country is turning to shit and i just cannot take much more. ive tried to fight and stand up for the constitution and our rights, the right way, as have many others have recently, but all our crooked government does is ignore us. in respect to not stealing the thread, if the man in my avatar would have won the election, i guarantee you laws like this thread is talking about would not exist right now, and half, if not more of our government, would be in prison right now. but it just proves that honesty in america just does not exist anymore, on the government level, nor does it seem to register to the average person how to look through the bs talk and hear a real man speak the truth. our rights are being sold to the highest bidder.

to the op, what did you figure out? are you gonna charge the tow company with grand theft? is that even an option?

to everyone else, come on over to
http://www.ronpaulforums.com
and join in. it aint republican vs democrate, we are against ANYONE in the gov who doesnt have the history of standing with the constitution or the voting record to prove it. talk is cheap, action is king. this is one VERY informative site. ive learned a ton of stuff in 2 years over there. we talk of things the news take 6 months to a year to even mention. so come over and learn about what very few freedoms we have left and what you can do to help yourself and this country without BS slogans and happy smiley holding hands BS. the first american revolution wasnt happy "take my picture" crap like you see now. it was blood and guts for freedom. and just the mere mention of this by me, now, according to dhs, makes me a suspected terrorist! so what does it make you thinking you have rights and private property to fight for? one guess...yeah. :mad:

keep us up to date about how you get your jeep back and if they can be charged.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Let's keep it a bit less political folks.....:)

Hard not to when emissions is nothing but a political farce to make people THINK their air is cleaner. Air is Air, we lose more to space than what is polluted. The way PA acts about emissions; you'd think the hole in the Ozone Layer is right above Allegheny county, since Armstrong (a walk across the bridge for me) does not need emissions, as parts of Westmoreland. Then, for a Police Officer to tell you, you got 30-days to inspect the thing, or we tow it? It's 100% wrong, it's private property, and a privately owned vehicle. They have no right to come onto said property, and take your property.

A friend of ours is in Germany, left his Maryland car at his moms, where I park my jeep (car port). I start it up once a month, and let it run to operating temp. I noticed last week that his MD inspection is up this month. I have to inform him, he needs to get a car cover so the police will leave it alone. That car just SITS THERE, so it attracts attention. I already witnessed a local get out of his car, go into the car port, and look at the sticker, but that was well over six months ago. Don't think they don't' know that sticker expires this month, and his plate one expires at the end of the year - He will be in Germany for 2-3 years, and he don't want to sell the car. What gives the cops the right to trespass, and investigate? IF the plate expires, you can rest assure, they will tow the vehicle from the car-port.

3 years ago, I had a boat, it sat along side my house for over a YEAR!, as I used it and parked it. I get a knock at the door, a YEAR later, a NEW ******** cop in town, tells me I can't park my boat there. I have to move it, or it will be seized. I said, how long to do I have? The ******** cop looks at his WATCH (WTF?), that arrogant act angered me, and I stepped up to him, my wife pulled me back, she knew what was next if she didn't. HE said I got a month. I said, you know, that has been there for over a year, now all of the sudden it has to go? He said there is a local ordinance about trailers, bla bla bla, you got a year out of it, consider yourself lucky. The arrogance of that man! I could park it in my yard, and have an EYE SORE, but I can't park it along-side my house? Meanwhile, another person let his EMPTY trailer on the street all the time, for months after this incident; but mine has to go? HE must have finally gotten the visit, because within 6-months after my visit, it hadn't seen it.

OFF SUBJECT:
Regrading the overstepping of bounds; DUI checkpoints; are technically illegal search and seizer under the constitution of the united States. I got stopped on my Motorcycle 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I do not have a class "M" on my license, so they said they would impound my bike, they TOOK IT, put a post-it note on the windshield, and walked it away; and so on. I was like fine, no problem. They they asked if someone can come get it, I said at 1:35 in the morning, No sir. Then they said they would hide it in the parking lot, and I can have it picked up tomorrow. I said, me and my wife will walk home, it's only 4 miles from here. They said no, we're wearing black, and it is unsafe, they would give us a ride. Then the in charge dude said to let us go. One cop made a comment, "That was a command decision, go.", the other said, "My back was turned I didn't see them." So, they said go ahead and go, we were like, THANK you, shook hands of the commander, the wife shook his hand TWICE; and so on. I get back on the bike, and "illegally" DRIVE away?! A week later, I get a ticket in the mail for driving without the proper class, boy was my wife ANGRY. I am fighting that in court, because they LET US GO, and said nothing like, we'll let you go, but we still have to send you a ticket, NOTHING. Sure, I was in the wrong for dirving without the class "M" endorsement, but if not for the checkpoint, I would not have been stopped, searched, and my bike seized. The bike was inspected, plated, and insured, it was 100% legal.

BACK ON SUBJECT:
The whole idea that the police can just come take your car for not being inspected or plated, off your PRIVATE property is tyranny. They did it to my father over 20 years ago, so it is NOTHING new. He had a Dodge Dart, in EXCELLENT shape, needed some motor work (slant 6). My dad said, I could have it, I was like cool. My uncle could have got that running for me. Well, it figures, because a week later, since it had already sat for too long, the locals came and towed it, right out of his mothers parking lot! Why? It had expired TAGS... Nobody sees anything wrong with this crap?

Pennsylvania is one of THE worst places to live, and I hate its Government for making it that way. What's not fair? Since other counties don't need EMISSIONS, they are in no danger of being towed for not having a valid sticker. So, it's ok for one county, but not the other. No conformity in this state, at all.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
still have to go read my lease agreement, been busy. i wanna find out if they really can do that.

It has nothing to do with any Lease agreement, it's either a local ordinance, or it isn't. The girl with the Mercedes I mentioned, she OWNED the property, and the police told her, get the car inspected in 30-days, or we are impounding it. SO, what LEASE is she going to look at? It was COVERED for the years that I lived here, all of the sudden, she uncovers it to sell it, cops see it's all expired, and tell her what she must do to keep her OWN car... She knew nothing about diesel motors, she said the glow plugs have not worked in years. Well, in the summer, you don't need them, the high compression would do the work... She didn't know she could have had the car running, no one told her, and she didn't ask...

Anyhow, a Lease won't mean squat to the law.

n8fis

Reaction score
lol, TruLiberty, if I had your troubles I think I'd get a bike.
You, Virginia and your Liberty are having a BAD day/s.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, yeah my lease should state what they can tow off for because its private property. it wasn't police tow it was private tow.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, The POLICE don't come with, or even have their own tow truck. They use whatever towing company is local, or they are contracted with, to do the job. You won't see a tow truck with POLICE badging, red/blue lighting and sirens, not here... They usually use private companies, ours do. If the police call their contracted company, and are told to go tow a car, they do it, private property or not. There are two local towing companies in my town, the police use who ever takes the job first. Your LEASE doesn't mean crap when the LAW has your car towed. They have no right trespassing on private property to do so, but since when does the law, follow the, umm, LAW...

Now, the parking permit thing, sure, usually the building manager usually has to call that in, but if the LAW towed your car, one of two reasons why.
1. The Police saw the expired tag(s), and called it in.
2. Someone in your building called the Police and reported the expired tag(s).

Either way, your Lease won't protect you from any towing company, when the LAW calls it...

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

This is CRAP!!! I feel sorry for the lot of you!!

We don't (and can't) have laws which allow this. If our licence stickers run out gee that's too bad!! Ya can't drive the car on the road uless you want a $500 ticket but ya can leave it on your property AS LONG AS YOU LIKE!! The Police are NOT allowed on your property here for the reasons you all are giving. They can come on to look at a car if it is 'in the course of their investigations' into a crime but they have to ASK first - (it pays NOT to say no ;)). The rules are the same for trailers or anything really! The CANNOT tow unless they have a court order due to unpaid fines or similar Judge issued order.
I dunno how in the 'Land of the Free' this could happen. They are ONLY unlicenced vehicles. Big deal. How do you get on with a restoration?

Mad.

Rant over :)
Oliver from New Zealand.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, The POLICE don't come with, or even have their own tow truck. They use whatever towing company is local, or they are contracted with, to do the job. You won't see a tow truck with POLICE badging, red/blue lighting and sirens, not here... They usually use private companies, ours do. If the police call their contracted company, and are told to go tow a car, they do it, private property or not. There are two local towing companies in my town, the police use who ever takes the job first. Your LEASE doesn't mean crap when the LAW has your car towed. They have no right trespassing on private property to do so, but since when does the law, follow the, umm, LAW...

Now, the parking permit thing, sure, usually the building manager usually has to call that in, but if the LAW towed your car, one of two reasons why.
1. The Police saw the expired tag(s), and called it in.
2. Someone in your building called the Police and reported the expired tag(s).

Either way, your Lease won't protect you from any towing company, when the LAW calls it...

Tow Trucks come in at night and scour the parking lot. I've noticed them the past few days. I think my apt complex pays them to come and find unlucky saps. still need to go read my lease agreement, been a busy week also topped off with 200 bucks in bank overdraft fees. <3 my life.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If the tow trucks come and look, then they towed your car for not having the parking permit, as you said, but LATER changed it to expired tags? You should not have to pay ANYTHING to get your car back, nothing, as it was towed for no reason. Unless the building owners said to tow people with expired tags as well.

If they illegally towed your car, meaning, they THOUGHT you did not have a parking permit, then take them to court. Check your lease agreement for anything that sayd your car tags must be current, or whatever legal wording is used... In any case, its total ********...

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a copy of my lease agreement today

"Vehicles parked at the Community must be in good repair and current with state vehicle regulations, with current license plates, county stickers and state inspection stickers properly displayed. Vehicles not displaying current county stickers, State license tags and current inspection stickers are subject to towing from the community without notice."

"The towing company randomly monitors the parking lot for violations. They have been authorized to tow any vehicle in violation of the policies listed above without notification."

"Towing fees will not be reimbursed by the Owner."

"We are inordinately homosexual and like to stick giant spiked sticks up peoples arses."

Sigh.