crack open a can of a/c?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone used one of those refill cans of a/c? does it work? is it worth it? recommended brand?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are in need of topping up you may have a leak somewhere.
Personally speaking I would rather have it checked professionally, and add a dye if the high/low pressure readings are down.
Then you are heading in right direction to finding leak source.
I use a digital temp ( kitchen) probe down the middle left vent- AC on- high fan.
If it is 41F or lower it probably is still in spec.
The only way to know for sure is having the high & low pressure readings observed.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way to measure how much you put in and no way to tell how much you need without the proper machine to evac the system and accurately measure what is already in the system and accurately measure how much you put back in the system.

Plus those cans do not actually have the advertised amount of R134A is them and most you see have some type of stop leak in them that just gums up the system which will result in a total system replacement which can cost several thousand dollars.

You also can not judge by pressure in the system,to many factors come into play.Plus those cans that come with a gauge only come with 1 gauge(low pressure) when you need to monitor both high and low side pressures.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mr..speedy fingers there Troy..I think we both posted same time...LOL..

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used them many times with great success. I only do it on an older vehicle which is not worth paying for an A/C repair, though. The last two years I had my Tracker I used two cans per summer, which beat roasting sitting in city traffic. The Tracker was 16 years old when I traded it in. My housemate's Toyota has a slow leak. It is also 16 years old and not worth any significant expense to repair.

Bottom line: If it's worth doing right, do it right. If it's not worth doing right, the cheapo fix might get you through the summer.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to go that route instead of a shop harbor freight has the manifold and gauge set on sale for 59.99 this month, but the correct way is like troy said: bring it to a shop and pay for an evac, leak test, and recharge.

mad mechanic

Reaction score
why is it any ******** can buy a can of freon from your walmart or other shops but yet i have to take exams and prove i am competent to handle the stuff in the uk...makes amockery of the whole environmental thing..lmfao

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
why is it any ******** can buy a can of freon from your walmart or other shops but yet i have to take exams and prove i am competent to handle the stuff in the uk...makes amockery of the whole environmental thing..lmfao

You're not talking to just any ******** here - I'm a SPECIAL kind of ********. :happy175:

Actually, I believe an exemption was made a few years back to allow the unwashed masses to buy it in very small quantities, and then only the "safer" R134a. The R12 and R22 are not allowed except to licensed individuals.

I also took a pretty rigorous three-part exam and am Universal Certified. My stupid boss at the time flunked two of the three parts.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart, and other stores don't sell Freon, that stuff was banned and taken off the market years ago.
Oh, you probably meant the R134A, which is "refrigerant"! ;)

mad mechanic

Reaction score
You're not talking to just any ******** here - I'm a SPECIAL kind of ********. :happy175:

Actually, I believe an exemption was made a few years back to allow the unwashed masses to buy it in very small quantities, and then only the "safer" R134a. The R12 and R22 are not allowed except to licensed individuals.

I also took a pretty rigorous three-part exam and am Universal Certified. My stupid boss at the time flunked two of the three parts.
lol..sorry it wasnt aimed at you directly...it was a generalisation, r134a is a dangerous nasty substance if not handled correctly and is highly toxic. it can freeze your fingers off...quite literally and if used in enclosed spaces will suffocate you. just get it looked at properly kwik fit in uk do a fill up and if they can't lower your temp by 10 degrees they will do it for free..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Walmart, and other stores don't sell Freon, that stuff was banned and taken off the market years ago.
Oh, you probably meant the R134A, which is "refrigerant"! ;)
R134a is banned in Europe for new vehicles,and a total ban by '17.The US is not far behind.

Oh and most of that junk you buy at wallmart is not actually R134a,it's a substitute which works similar to R134a.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of those cans. Ended up having to take it to an a/c shop for a vac and fill. Do yourself a favor and take it to the pro's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the ''Walmart'' crap to recharge my wife's A/C no issues at all with having done it then again I know what I am doing when it comes to A/C systems.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, my hubby's an HVAC master, so he has the scale, vacuum pump, gauge set, leak detector sniffer and real 134a on his truck.

Have it done right; that way, it's once and done instead of can after can after can....and then replacing stuff because it's all gummed up.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks all! theres a firestone service center across the street from my new apartment. having it looked at now.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've asked before, but where in CT do you live? I'm from W Simsbury...

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, my hubby's an HVAC master, so he has the scale, vacuum pump, gauge set, leak detector sniffer and real 134a on his truck.

Have it done right; that way, it's once and done instead of can after can after can....and then replacing stuff because it's all gummed up.

I have the gauges which I use to test pressure when I do refills.