A/C Compressor will not run after dash removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Hello all ! I have an 02 Libert Sport 3.7 V6 with A/C and recently had to replace my heater core due to the inlet/outlet tubes being cracked and leaking. If you want a heart attack call some shops and get an estimate to have it done. $1450 was the cheapeast and of course he was booked for 3 weeks ! He didn't want to fool with it is what I think. Dealers are $1500 + ! I went by the Jeep shop manual mostly but did not fully remove the dash. I disassembled the dask enough to where it would tilt out towards the seats as the manual said. I got it tipped out far enough to replace the heater core. So putting it back together I hooked up the only two harnesses that I unpluggged and one vaccum line. Tilted dash back to the firewall and it all bolted right back up and was lined up correctly due to the marks I made at the lower mounts that go to the sidewalls of the cabin. Cranked it up and got it up to temp, no leaks and the heat works great !! The vents do as described on the selector switch (like panel, floor, etc) But now my A/C compressor will not come on. It was thowing snowballs before I started this project ! I did not evacuate the system so I know it has proper refrigerant and oil levels. I replaced the low pressure switch that is on the accumlater, the high pressure switch at the compressor, replaced the compressor relay. All fuses are good. Have double checked all electrical plugs and the one vaccum that that had been disconnected and the compressor still won't come on....????

Anybody have a direction to point me in ? About the only thing I know to do now is work backwards from the compressor testing wires/circuts...

I live in the southeast so A/C is a must have !

Thank you for reading,

Bob Clayton

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Not good. Wish I could be of more help. Definitely sounds like a wiring issue of some sort.
One thought is to confirm AC meets the the high & low side pressure specs.
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my heater core, I missed a ground when I put things back together, and it caused certain electrical problems. I found it because the airbag light wouldn't go off. The KK has electrically modulated climate controls, so it would be different than your KJ of course, but I would check all the wire harness connectors and grounds. The ground connection I missed was just behind the kick panel to the left of the drivers left foot, if that is of any help.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the heater matrix in a Citroën I had, must have missed a wire somewhere because I had no power to bits of the dash, luckily I was able to get it working with jumpers added to the fuse box. It was an old heap so I wasn't going to take the dash out again if there was any option not to!

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Update ! Well I still have not had any luck getting the a/c compressor running again so out comes the dash again. I didn't get started untill 7:00 pm eastern and its dark at 9:15 but I made some good headway. I was working around the underside of the steering wheel and thought I had hit the jackpot. There was a small plug hanging off the harness under the steering wheel. Then I found one over near the HVAC box. Thinking the were some how mates, I tried to hook them up but they were different. I can't locate anything on that side of the HVAC box that has an open plug nor have I seen any other loose plugs. In the pictures that are attached, its all of the same plug. I was just rolling it over to see all the colors of the wires and how many of them. I'll hopefully find the problem before the weekend is over. I'll try to find it in the wiring diagram I have. I know car manufacturers do leave stub outs in wiring harnesses for optional equipment but man I thought I had it ! You can also see the new heater core inlet & outlet tubes sticking through the firewall. In the meantime I'm driving my old 2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 4 x 4 with the 8.1 Litre Vortech engine in it. You think the libertys suck gas ???? Drive one of these ! Sure is fun though as it will haul a** ! ! Averages 10.5 mpg according to the computer. Gm says it has 350 hp and 455 lb ft of torgue and fairly low geared diff's. Thats my buds 2003 Chevy 2500 pickup with the same engine parked next to it. I'll update again, hopefully soon.

Thank you for reading,

Bob

Attachments

• IMG-8261.jpg
    IMG-8261.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8259.jpg
    IMG-8259.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8258.jpg
    IMG-8258.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8257.jpg
    IMG-8257.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8260.jpg
    IMG-8260.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 8
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-8051.jpg
    IMG-8051.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 9

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those old 8.1's make pretty good inboard boat engines, so long as you either have large enough fuel tanks or aren't worried about range lol.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all ! I have an 02 Libert Sport 3.7 V6 with A/C and recently had to replace my heater core due to the inlet/outlet tubes being cracked and leaking. If you want a heart attack call some shops and get an estimate to have it done. $1450 was the cheapeast and of course he was booked for 3 weeks ! He didn't want to fool with it is what I think. Dealers are $1500 + ! I went by the Jeep shop manual mostly but did not fully remove the dash. I disassembled the dask enough to where it would tilt out towards the seats as the manual said. I got it tipped out far enough to replace the heater core. So putting it back together I hooked up the only two harnesses that I unpluggged and one vaccum line. Tilted dash back to the firewall and it all bolted right back up and was lined up correctly due to the marks I made at the lower mounts that go to the sidewalls of the cabin. Cranked it up and got it up to temp, no leaks and the heat works great !! The vents do as described on the selector switch (like panel, floor, etc) But now my A/C compressor will not come on. It was thowing snowballs before I started this project ! I did not evacuate the system so I know it has proper refrigerant and oil levels. I replaced the low pressure switch that is on the accumlater, the high pressure switch at the compressor, replaced the compressor relay. All fuses are good. Have double checked all electrical plugs and the one vaccum that that had been disconnected and the compressor still won't come on....????

Anybody have a direction to point me in ? About the only thing I know to do now is work backwards from the compressor testing wires/circuts...

Thank you for reading,

Bob Clayton

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you probably forgot or something became unplugged.

valleyrome92

Reaction score
Is your clutch engaging? Run a jumper test to your clutch. Also wiggle the connector that goes into compressor while engine is on. That should start it back up.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for reading,

Bob Clayton

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for reading,

Bob Clayton
It could a/c compressor went out! Or something was not plugged in?I plan on doing my heatercore here shortly, but have seen a video about not taking apart dash completely, wish me luck

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this you're going to have to work through logically, get the wiring diagram and check to see what's missing, check fuses and relays and get the gas charge checked, if the pressure is low the compressor won't run. Unfortunately if you have left something unplugged it may be a dash out job....

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for reading,

Bob Clayton
There is a video I saw on YouTube about removing by lowering the steering wheel and all dash bolts and lower dash back just enough to get heater-core out and new one in!

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What valleyrome92 said. Run a jumper wire to the clutch on the compressor see if it clicks on. If it engages, don't let it run for long without checking static and dynamic pressures 1st.

Latest posts

Members online