BOTH front hubs/bearings bad at 40K!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cliff's notes -

Currently at 40,600 miles. About 6,000 miles ago started noticing a LOT of noise. Sounded like tires. Had Grabbers on there, so I assumed they were crappy. Finally couldn't take it any more.

Today - $740 for an lignment and (5) Toyo's and the noise is still there!!!!

Took it back to Belle Tire for diagnosis....ends up that BOTH front wheel bearings are totally shot at 40k. Guy told me to save money and replace it myself or get another quote, but asked me to do it immediately because they are both that bad.

I called Jeep and it's escalated up to their senior resulution group. They are going to call me back today or Monday. They want me to take it in to a Jeep dealer and get it diagnosed for $60.

So far I can't say I am very happy with Chrysler's products and they've lost a customer in the future. in 40k I've had two ABS sensors disintegrate (completely corroded), had both front regulators replaced, and have to have new window seals twice. Now I have two bad wheel hubs? WTF Jeep! Hope they can restore my confidence a bit by taking care of this situation.

UPDATE
Driver's front wheel hub was bad. Passenger was totally shot.

I ordered the Timkin units from rockauto.com. They would have been $327 shipped for both, but I paid overnight for $347. These DID come with new wheel speed sensors. I started freaking out because I wasn't sure, and when I went to remove mine from the shot hubs they broke. Chances are if you do this in the future, they'll break on you too.

I completed the whole job in about 3 hours with hand tools. Wasn't too bad - not too rusty down there. I didn't even need to use penetrating oil or anything.

This is the most quiet my Jeep has been in a LONG time!

I still haven't worked anything out with Chrysler. I will be talking to the rep again tomorrow. He wouldn't commit to anything and wanted me to get it diagnosed at a dealer, and then he'd talk to the dealer to see if they can help.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayme - Thank you for that link!!!!!! $327.02 shipped for both. That's cheaper than the one side from Autozone!

I'll see what I hear from Chrysler. If they'd be willing to pay the full amount, I'll get it diagnosed and paid for. If they only pay half, then this is cheaper than taking it in to a dealer anyway.

Thanks again!

(Still pissed off at Jeep though)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It's Michigan

Salt eats parts

Sometimes it *****. This is why your friendly ThunderbirdJunkie crawls under the KJ once a week in the winter to wash it all out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm speechless, Kevin. Seriously.

And salt eats parts, yes, but 40k is ridiculous. If that's the case then my bearings should go in January (I'll be at that particular mileage by then), and my sister's should have died 25k ago, and my mom's bearings 53k ago. Ah well you get the point. I mean it is salt but dang... that's premature IMO.

Anywho, still speechless.

and BTW: You've *still* had less issues than I had with that dang Dodge. :p

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Good ol' Mass Production

Have replaced tie rod ends in a Caravan with 21k on it, wheel bearings in a Hyundai Accent with 31k

It *****.

Give you $100 for the Jeep so you don't have to deal with it:D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's Michigan

Salt eats parts

Sometimes it *****. This is why your friendly ThunderbirdJunkie crawls under the KJ once a week in the winter to wash it all out.

Point understood, but that's BS. This is supposed to be the super tough Jeep that can ford water and whatnot but bearings can't make it through 2 winters?

How come in 8 years earlier I could get a car that gave me really no problems for 130k miles even though I modded it and beat the poop out of it regularly.

It's crappy manufacturing, plain and simple.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It happens. ThunderbirdJunkie didn't replace his wheel bearings until long after 100k miles. He got lucky.

Just be glad you don't own an 01-07 Sebring/Stratus

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yo, Jeep Liberty, I'm really happy for you
But Sebrings and Stratuses are the best moneymakers for wheel bearings
OF ALL TIME

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I uhh, guess that explains the tire noise. Sorry for the hefty repairs. I feel for ya.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway you can see what day the Jeep has been constructed ? Look for a Superbowl day or July 4th, its gotta be something like it !! Hangover days happens everywhere !! Dang a 2007 !! They made that one from leftover parts they had, go back and trade it for another 2007. Oh! And Timken bearings are very good, in fact, on heavy duty trucks, they are in the best ones ... Mine is already doing better then my Pontiac Grand Am 99 i bought in 2000 at 34 000km. Changed transmission 3000 km after warranty finished, 3 alternators, failed heater motor, Windows jammed (electric powered), Head gaskets, Key/transmission timing difficulties, 3 batteries in 8 years and when it died: intake gaskets were out, another alternator failed and transmission wouldn shift into overdrive.... all those at 158 000 km ( 98 176 miles on the clock). Not buying any other GMC unless they get a high rate of reliability like they do have on 1 car... Cadillac CTS which is 5 star reliability....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like already stated.............

WELCOME TO MASS PRODUCTION,it's a b*tch.

And also like stated improper washing of your vehicle and larger tires killed your bearings.The KJ was never ment(after '02) any wheeling and we all know it.One fact why I washed my KJ every sunday regardless if it was raining or in the middle of a blizzard,and over $10 goes to just cleaning the undercarriage.Every newer vehicle is plaqued with something,that's life and no vehcile is perfect and let's face it a $20,000 Jeep is going to have less quaility then say a $80,000 BMW.Also these newer unit bearing that are not servicable are junk anyways,there is no good ones and rather doubt there ever will be,just more reason why I just spent $26,000 to get rid of all that junk.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atrus, I hope they (Chry/Jeep) help you out with this. Actually if it was diagnosed sooner you might have been within your 3/36 with it and then it would have been covered. You are only 4K over the 36..........just my thoughts.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, here's the current state....

Belle Tire will replace for $750 out the door.
Autozone parts are over $600
Rockauto.com is $327 shipped
Dealer is a hair under $1,000

I called Chrysler customer support. Spoke to a nice and friendly guy who escalated me to senior response team. Again, guy was very nice. They want me to have it diagnosed at a dealer. I told them I gladly would, given assurance that they are willing to work with me on the price. I explained that although I am at 40,600 miles this had been going on for a good 5k-6k miles. I explained that, in my eyes, I didn't really see Jeep's quality being so bad that BOTH bearings would be bad at 35k. I assumed it was tires. Lo and behold, BOTH fronts are bad, giving the stereo effect and making me think it was tires.

I further explained my options, and that since I just blew $750 this morning on tires I didn't need, I was hesitant to pay another $60 for diagnosis unless I have some assurance that if it is diagnosed as bearings, Chrysler will make it worth my while, a.k.a. cost me less than $300, which I would pay for aftermarket parts.

He asked if I would be satisfied with paying a $200 deductible. I explained I'd be more satisfied if my Jeep was functional at 40k, but yes, that would be appreciated and would help my situation immensely.

So, Monday he will be speaking with the Service manager to work out a "what will he pay if the bearings are bad" scenerio, and then he'll call. If it's in my best interest, I'll take the Jeep there Monday night and drop it off to be diagnosed & repaired.

If it's not in my best interest, I'll order the rockauto bearings for $327 and put them on this week.

Thank god I am only working Monday and already had the rest of the week off. Hopefully I can snag my unemployed father's car for Monday so I can get my ass to work.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And also like stated improper washing of your vehicle and larger tires killed your bearings.The KJ was never ment(after '02) any wheeling and we all know it.

Again, sorry, but ********.

1) My $13k used Grand Prix lasted to 130k with no real major issues. And I beat the PISS out of it. If TWO bearings fail at the same time due to me not spraying them off once a week in a 2 year period, someone needs to up their quality control. I spent 6+ years in tier 1 manufacturing, I know how it should be. One bearing, things happen. Two bearings at essentially the same time? C'mon, W T F.

2) I had 245/70's on it with OEM wheels. I took it offroading exactly once with said 245's and twice with the original 235's. And when I say offroading, one of the times was a sand pit and logging trails (easy stuff), another time in winter (so, snow) and the third it was muddy - see avatar. I highly doubt driving I75 eveyday on OEM wheels with aftermarket "plus1" tires killed them in 40k. I also doubt these three mild offroading trips slaughtered them.

I get it, I got the pair of shit bearings that were made at 4:00 on a holiday weekend. Just don't try to push lack of maintenance or being too ******* them as the culprit, that's BS and you know it. 40k miles, these things should be able to live through the harshest conditions for 40k miles!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

And also like stated improper washing of your vehicle and larger tires killed your bearings.The KJ was never ment(after '02) any wheeling and we all know it.One fact why I washed my KJ every sunday regardless if it was raining or in the middle of a blizzard,and over $10 goes to just cleaning the undercarriage.Every newer vehicle is plaqued with something,that's life and no vehcile is perfect and let's face it a $20,000 Jeep is going to have less quaility then say a $80,000 BMW.Also these newer unit bearing that are not servicable are junk anyways,there is no good ones and rather doubt there ever will be,just more reason why I just spent $26,000 to get rid of all that junk.

Alright....I can't go off road tomorrow because I have an 05???

So me having the 42RLE and ride and ride barely an inch lower than a stock 02 prevents me from off roading???

I'm sorry, but that statement, to me at least, is untrue.:)

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand ... I've prematurelly made my front bearing go bad on my dirtbike in sand pits ... But i hardly doubt that once in sand would do that ... and i agree with you, after all its JEEP, should be made to be able to take a beating once in a while ... Yeah Yeah i know its not exactly ment to ..... but still ...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand ... I've prematurelly made my front bearing go bad on my dirtbike in sand pits ... But i hardly doubt that once in sand would do that ... and i agree with you, after all its JEEP, should be made to be able to take a beating once in a while ... Yeah Yeah i know its not exactly ment to ..... but still ...

Exactly - and are't they supposed to be sealed maintenance free units on a trail rated vehicle?

Hell, I'd repack them annually if i needed to, but since I can't and the Jeep is supposed to be "tough" and "trail rated", I'd assume they could handle about 8 mins in loose sand. ;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, sorry, but ********.

1) My $13k used Grand Prix lasted to 130k with no real major issues. And I beat the PISS out of it. If TWO bearings fail at the same time due to me not spraying them off once a week in a 2 year period, someone needs to up their quality control. I spent 6+ years in tier 1 manufacturing, I know how it should be. One bearing, things happen. Two bearings at essentially the same time? C'mon, W T F.

2) I had 245/70's on it with OEM wheels. I took it offroading exactly once with said 245's and twice with the original 235's. And when I say offroading, one of the times was a sand pit and logging trails (easy stuff), another time in winter (so, snow) and the third it was muddy - see avatar. I highly dount driving I75 eveyday on OEM wheels with aftermarket "plus1" tires killed them in 40k.

I get it, I got the pair of shit bearings that were made at 4:00 on a holiday weekend. Just don't try to push lack of maintenance or being too ******* them as the culprit, that's BS and you know it. 40k miles, these things should be able to live through the harshest conditions for 40k miles!
You do know that Chrysler and GM do not make there bearings right? Actually both sets where made by the same company,Timkin(which about 90%+ of American vehicles use from the factory).Just like the balljoints(both upper and lower) in the KJ are made by MOOG,but the common factor is they are made for Chrysler(or GM and Ford) to there specs.

Oh and seen bad bearing on brand new vehicles before,actually seen alot of them and taking about vehicles with less then 1000 miles on them,it happens.