Front hub with ABS on non-ABS Libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyre

Reaction score
I ordered new hubs as my right front is worn, so plan to replace both of them. Found a smoking deal and didn't even think about the fact that they have the ABS sensors, and I have a non-ABS KJ. Will they still work fine, just remove the sensor? Or should I leave the sensor in place and just clip the wire, so it remains water-tight?

Anybody actually made this mistake before?

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I didn't know there were non-ABS hubs, because by the time the KJ came out, ABS was mandatory - but obviously not everywhere!

I imagine the only difference in the hubs is the hole for the sensor, so I'm curious as to whether the non-ABS hubs don't have the hole, or it's plugged.

Those sensors aren't cheap, so replace them with a bolt or plastic plug - & sell the sensors on: someone will be very grateful.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No plugged hole on mine.... factory, cheap jobber, or timken.

Our '05 is a factory non-ABS. Rather pleased with that actually.

If the sensor reaches into the bearing, I wouldnt want an empty hole to lose grease, or let water/dirt in.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
They will work just fine. keep the sensor hole plugged. If the came with sensors, just clip the wire off. Mechanically identical. Hypothetically one could mount a zerk in the sensor hole and make them greasable!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there were non-ABS hubs, because by the time the KJ came out, ABS was mandatory - but obviously not everywhere!

I imagine the only difference in the hubs is the hole for the sensor, so I'm curious as to whether the non-ABS hubs don't have the hole, or it's plugged.

Those sensors aren't cheap, so replace them with a bolt or plastic plug - & sell the sensors on: someone will be very grateful.

No it wasn't. ABS was an option on the KJ and there are far more without ABS than with. I've always liked the KJ since it doesn't have ABS/TC/whatever crap.

randyre

Reaction score
They will work just fine. keep the sensor hole plugged. If the came with sensors, just clip the wire off. Mechanically identical. Hypothetically one could mount a zerk in the sensor hole and make them greasable!
Thats probably what I'll do, just clip the wire and heat shrink the end just because. I wouldn't think the sensor goes into a greaseable area though. Any other vehicles I've had the sensor just is mounted on the hub and goes to a reluctor ring, not to the inside of the bearing itself. I'll pull the sensor and have a look before I decide what to do.

randyre

Reaction score
No it wasn't. ABS was an option on the KJ and there are far more without ABS than with. I've always liked the KJ since it doesn't have ABS/TC/whatever crap.
My wife's BMW X5 of course has ABS and TC and a yaw sensor and all that crap. When I try and get up our 800ft long driveway in the snow and the wheels start to spin it will actually apply all that crap and keep the wheels from spinning and will eventually bog down and just not move, I've had to park it at the bottom and walk before.

The Jeep on the other hand will let me gun it and spin until it does have traction and goes up the hill just fine. I hate TC, glad my Libby doesn't have it. Now ABS is kind of nice in a panic situation, but that's about it.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My '05 has ABS but no traction control. I wanted the ABS for Alaska's slick roads and I'm happy not to have traction control. ABS serves as a warning when conditions have changed.

Old school traction control was know as "the parking brake trick". One last thing to try when you're stuck before shovelling, chains, and tow ropes.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think the sensor goes into a greaseable area though.
I dont know about a KJ, but on a Ford Superduty the ABS sensor port can be used for greasing.

JMichael2006

Reaction score
I ordered new hubs as my right front is worn, so plan to replace both of them. Found a smoking deal and didn't even think about the fact that they have the ABS sensors, and I have a non-ABS KJ. Will they still work fine, just remove the sensor? Or should I leave the sensor in place and just clip the wire, so it remains water-tight?

Anybody actually made this mistake before?
Leave the ABS wire and sensor installed, just tie it off and fill the connector with dielectric grease.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's BMW X5 of course has ABS and TC and a yaw sensor and all that crap. When I try and get up our 800ft long driveway in the snow and the wheels start to spin it will actually apply all that crap and keep the wheels from spinning and will eventually bog down and just not move, I've had to park it at the bottom and walk before.

The Jeep on the other hand will let me gun it and spin until it does have traction and goes up the hill just fine. I hate TC, glad my Libby doesn't have it. Now ABS is kind of nice in a panic situation, but that's about it.

My parents 2006 Jeep WK is the same. Thing has limited slip diff's front and rear but the TC will kick in and the Jeep slides back to the bottom of the hill. My KJ has no issues in a foot (most we've had) of snow on their driveway. I've not tried removing the abs fuse but pushing the esp off button does nothing.