Wheel bearing or axle....????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
Happy New Year fellow Jeepers....just a quick note Our Renegade received its first rubber duck this summer...didn't even know what it meant until I googled it....interesting story and never heard anything about it....Now to my problem....

Just started hearing a humming noise and assumed it was the wheel bearing hub....so the next day jacked up the front end and checked both sides for play and both were the same a little side to side play(normal for rack and pinion I think)minimal...and no top and bottom play. I gave both wheels a good spin to see if any noise ...none...but one wheel was harder to turn so I know a caliper is sticking(just replaced 6 months ago)....will this give me a humming noise?? Checked out some youtube vids and so many could be's that I am stuck scratching my head. Could be CV axle??? Went for a drive to pay closer attention....humming starts at 60klm(40mph)and gets a bit louder at 80-90 klics and when I turn into a right hand curve it goes away only to come back when I straighten the wheel so again it makes me think wheel bearing. I've seen a lot of youtube vids of people chasing a problem and to be honest can't really afford to be replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. I usually do the majority of repairs but living in Ontario the cold weather will not allow me to do so ..so its going to a garage and $110/hr shop rate is steep especially after Xmas and $250 for the hub assembly...especially if thats not the problem.....and the garage,,,they just want your money so I am hoping I can get some pointers to help me pin point the problem.....I am waiting for some warmer weather.(0 degree weather or warmer) to fix the caliper thats sticking but hoping someone here has experienced the same issue and can give me a heads up as to I'm dealing with.Thanks in advance and have an awesome day!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely eliminate the possibility of the sticking caliper first. That could cause a hum that might be sensitive to turning. My next guess would be wheel bearing. Those are classic symptoms. That hum will continue to get worse of course, which will help the diagnosis. I've driven quite a few miles on a noisy bearing (out of necessity). If it is a bearing and the wheels are tight, it's probably in the early stages. If the caliper fix doesn't help I'd keep checking the bearings.

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
I'd definitely eliminate the possibility of the sticking caliper first. That could cause a hum that might be sensitive to turning. My next guess would be wheel bearing. Those are classic symptoms. That hum will continue to get worse of course, which will help the diagnosis. I've driven quite a few miles on a noisy bearing (out of necessity). If it is a bearing and the wheels are tight, it's probably in the early stages. If the caliper fix doesn't help I'd keep checking the bearings.
yes.....it is my intention to address the caliper situation...just waiting for some milder weather and I'm hoping that will fix the problem because I can't afford shop rates on top of the prices of parts these days....Napa(our local store here in Ontario) wants $250 for the hub assembly while Canadian Tire wants $130....go figure...why such a difference I will never know anyways thanks for your input....

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you get a quality hub not a Chinese one or you'll be paying twice.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like wheel bearing to me.

Sticking caliper yields obviously hot brakes usually. Pulling to the side, and resistance to rolling.

CV axles usually arent a problem until the boots are split and the grease has left the building.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year fellow Jeepers....just a quick note Our Renegade received its first rubber duck this summer...didn't even know what it meant until I googled it....interesting story and never heard anything about it....Now to my problem....

Just started hearing a humming noise and assumed it was the wheel bearing hub....so the next day jacked up the front end and checked both sides for play and both were the same a little side to side play(normal for rack and pinion I think)minimal...and no top and bottom play. I gave both wheels a good spin to see if any noise ...none...but one wheel was harder to turn so I know a caliper is sticking(just replaced 6 months ago)....will this give me a humming noise?? Checked out some youtube vids and so many could be's that I am stuck scratching my head. Could be CV axle??? Went for a drive to pay closer attention....humming starts at 60klm(40mph)and gets a bit louder at 80-90 klics and when I turn into a right hand curve it goes away only to come back when I straighten the wheel so again it makes me think wheel bearing. I've seen a lot of youtube vids of people chasing a problem and to be honest can't really afford to be replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. I usually do the majority of repairs but living in Ontario the cold weather will not allow me to do so ..so its going to a garage and $110/hr shop rate is steep especially after Xmas and $250 for the hub assembly...especially if thats not the problem.....and the garage,,,they just want your money so I am hoping I can get some pointers to help me pin point the problem.....I am waiting for some warmer weather.(0 degree weather or warmer) to fix the caliper thats sticking but hoping someone here has experienced the same issue and can give me a heads up as to I'm dealing with.Thanks in a

Just started hearing a humming noise and assumed it was the wheel bearing hub....so the next day jacked up the front end and checked both sides for play and both were the same a little side to side play(normal for rack and pinion I think)minimal...and no top and bottom play. I gave both wheels a good spin to see if any noise ...none...but one wheel was harder to turn so I know a caliper is sticking(just replaced 6 months ago)....will this give me a humming noise?? Checked out some youtube vids and so many could be's that I am stuck scratching my head. Could be CV axle??? Went for a drive to pay closer attention....humming starts at 60klm(40mph)and gets a bit louder at 80-90 klics and when I turn into a right hand curve it goes away only to come back when I straighten the wheel so again it makes me think wheel bearing. I've seen a lot of youtube vids of people chasing a problem and to be honest can't really afford to be replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. I usually do the majority of repairs but living in Ontario the cold weather will not allow me to do so ..so its going to a garage and $110/hr shop rate is steep especially after Xmas and $250 for the hub assembly...especially if thats not the problem.....and the garage,,,they just want your money so I am hoping I can get some pointers to help me pin point the problem.....I am waiting for some warmer weather.(0 degree weather or warmer) to fix the caliper thats sticking but hoping someone here has experienced the same issue and can give me a heads up as to I'm dealing with.Thanks in advance and have an awesome day!
W

What year? Also did you check the U-joints on the drive shaft?They can make a low pitch hum

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's a wheel bearing from your descript. As to which side is bad, you'd need something like a ChassisEar tool to know for sure. You could also keep driving it until the bearing eventually gets some play in it, too.

TimberWolf

Reaction score

Ujoint or CV Joint??

Just mike

Reaction score
Just had this with mine, turn the wheel slightly to the left and the noise would go away, was the left wheel bearing. i drove mine until the noise got louder and I could feel which bearing it was by then. Was a quick and easy job you could do in the driveway.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had this with mine, turn the wheel slightly to the left and the noise would go away, was the left wheel bearing.

You can't reliably narrow down which side is bad by doing that, which is why I suggested using something like a ChassisEar tool. Plenty of times I've seen the bearing that was actually bad be on the opposite side in the example you gave.

Last edited:

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
Just had this with mine, turn the wheel slightly to the left and the noise would go away, was the left wheel bearing. i drove mine until the noise got louder and I could feel which bearing it was by then. Was a quick and easy job you could do in the driveway.
Unfortunately this time of year does not allow that type of work to be done in the driveway....lol

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Snow and water is a killer of bearings and u-joints. If you need to buy parts I use Rockauto for most all my parts, it give you many price option to choose from, and I'm assuming you have no garage to work on cars in Ontario, Canada, my home country by the way. Born in Toronto, rasied up in Colburne, Ontario

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
Snow and water is a killer of bearings and u-joints. If you need to buy parts I use Rockauto for most all my parts, it give you many price option to choose from, and I'm assuming you have no garage to work on cars in Ontario, Canada, my home country by the way. Born in Toronto, rasied up in Colburne, Ontario
Oh T.O......we are getting some nasty weather this year huh......