BOTH front hubs/bearings bad at 40K!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was 2009, and AMC was still alive (they wouldn't be) Jeep would be dead.

but still... that AMC AMX was one hell of a muscle car! There was a few police departments that bought those, cuz they were the only car that could catch a GTO Judge. I wonder what kind of cars they'd be building today...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well actually AMC didn't die in 1987, Chrysler (as we knew them then) were the ones who actually died in 1987.

A lot of AMC engines, plans, car platforms, engineering were given main priority of the Chrysler stuff that was on the table.

For instance:

The 3.7/4.7L Engine. I don't care what anybody says these are AMC engines. I know this. They were supposed to be dumped into the ZJ, Iacocca said no, use the 5.2L, so oh well.
The Neon. Yup.....
The LH Cars. Based on the Eagle Premier, which was actually a Renault design. Today's LX cars STILL have a little bit of LH in them.
Jeep/Truck Engineering was ALL AMC. And some of it still is to this day.

There's some other stuff that I can't really remember right now, but that's the real big stuff there.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really since the original manufacturer of that part is the final QC before the part is shipped to Ford,GM,and Chrysler.Like you stated it's the luck of the draw since in mass production you will have bad parts,even bad brand new parts.

Three car companies which are at the top of their game.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be glad you didn't get a CRD. $3K in upgrades in the first two years just to make the bloody thing as reliable as a diesel should be, and the way it SHOULD have been set up coming out of the factory. Little things like a decent torque converter, lower ball joints, u-joints, lift pump, decent fuel filter assembly that didn't leak all over the place, different air intake that didn't suck up a 1/2" of water every time I drove in the rain, EGR valve that died every 15K miles until I turned the #$%@# thing off, decent tires to replace the stock Crapyear Wranglers, etc, etc, etc.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more like 40%.... those poor little CRD's... It just proves you can't go cheap when playing with diesel :D

Yeah, I was gonna say... I've never heard anyone with a gasser complain about leaky fuel filters, EGR valves, intakes which take up 1/2" during the rain (and holy cow do I get rain where I live)

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna say... I've never heard anyone with a gasser complain about leaky fuel filters, EGR valves, intakes which take up 1/2" during the rain (and holy cow do I get rain where I live)

and don't for get the crappy boost hoses....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't think gasser KJ's till 07 got the EGR valve, but with the Durango with the EGR valve, that's every 45k-60k job....still far from 15k though...

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, the factory air intake sucked right off the bottom front of the grille - and believe me, it SUCKED!!!!:mad:

I couldn't go 500 miles without a brand new air filter turning black and looking like it'd been in there for 5 years. One guy in Ohio actually lost the oil seals on his turbo because it sucked up so much road salt in the winter it clogged the air filter. One time I drove in a thunderstorm for 15 minutes, and when I got home and popped open the air filter housing there was literally a 1/2" of water in the bottom. Anything that hit the grille - rainwater, road salt, bugs, dirt, etc, got sucked into the airbox and the filter.

We found a simple solution - just install the lower half of the air filter housing from a gasser KJ, with the snorkel sucking just under the top of the hood. No problems since then, and it actually breathes better.

Or the factory torque converter - designed for a gas engine with a 2400 rpm stall speed and a weak-kneed lockup clutch, installed behind a diesel that puts out max torque at 1800 rpm. And when the bloody things started grenading, Chrysler's wonderful "customer satisfaction" recall - replace it with the same exact torque converter, then detune the engine to turn down the HP and torque so that crappy torque converter would make it past warranty. I gave them the middle finger salute on that one, and put in an aftermarket billet torque converter from Suncoast on my own dime. I didn't pay extra to get the diesel version just so they could detune the bloody thing.;)

Never had a single problem with the engine itself - just all the cheap parts that Chrysler put around it. I've often said that sticking that little Italian torque monster diesel in a Chrysler vehicle was like sticking a diamond in a goat's a$$.:p

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today - $740 for an lignment and (5) Toyo's and the noise is still there!!!!

Sorry to hear about your problems. After reading this thread I'm thinking about trading my KJ for a FJ ... Toyota.

At least I can put the Generals back in the running for replacements. After the other thread you had me scared to buy AT2s.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems. After reading this thread I'm thinking about trading my KJ for a FJ ... Toyota.

At least I can put the Generals back in the running for replacements. After the other thread you had me scared to buy AT2s.

Yeah, sorry about that. I have a Grabber thread on here documenting comments as they wear, and I will update it.

Hey, I'll admit it - I obviously misdiagnosed the vehicle. I put it on jack stands and ran it up to 60 in 4wd. No noise. I tried the "12 and 6" wiggle on the wheel and nothing. Because both hubs were bad, I heard it in stereo, so it sounded like it was all 4 corners. I never expected both to be bad.

So, yeah, anyway, the Grabbers seem to be a good tire. I am kinda bummed I stepped it back to the Open Countries now! ;) No biggie, I should get better gas mileage out of them anyway and like I mentioned, I didn't really use the Grabbers like I thought I would. They were overkill (but they did look great!)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. I have a Grabber thread on here documenting comments as they wear, and I will update it.

Hey, I'll admit it - I obviously misdiagnosed the vehicle. I put it on jack stands and ran it up to 60 in 4wd. No noise. I tried the "12 and 6" wiggle on the wheel and nothing. Because both hubs were bad, I heard it in stereo, so it sounded like it was all 4 corners. I never expected both to be bad.

So, yeah, anyway, the Grabbers seem to be a good tire. I am kinda bummed I stepped it back to the Open Countries now! ;) No biggie, I should get better gas mileage out of them anyway and like I mentioned, I didn't really use the Grabbers like I thought I would. They were overkill (but they did look great!)

If there is anything wrong with your diagnostic methods I would be guilty of same. No one expects both bearings to be bad at the same time.headscratch.gif Car guys seem to diagnose problems as much as possible.

Toyos don't look as good? Thx. Overall macho look is important on what can be confused with a soccer mom's vehicle.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is anything wrong with your diagnostic methods I would be guilty of same. No one expects both bearings to be bad at the same time.headscratch.gif Car guys seem to diagnose problems as much as possible.

Toyos don't look as good? Thx. Overall macho look is important on what can be confused with a soccer mom's vehicle.

Toyos look...OK...I went slightly taller but back to a 235. It just looks way thin to me. I am confident that I will like them, but I do think they lack a little in the looks department. I think a 245 would look a lot better, but still not as tough as an AT2 or TKO.

I plan to post pics and my comments on the tires, however, since I can't comment on handling characteristics or noise I just thought I'd wait. They literally have about 2 miles on them since I got them Friday morning. It was recommended that I do not drive the vehicle, and I have shelled out enough - I am taking their word and not driving it. I don't need my stupidity costing me more money.

The Chrysler rep supposedly called the local service manager who isn't returning his calls. He mentioned me paying a $200 deductible. So, I know it's going to cost me at least $200 (not sure if the $50 diagnosis fee would be mine to eat or theirs), so at a minimum $200-$250.

I can get Timken bearings from the site yellowcoyote posted (rockauto.com) next business day for $350. So, if I don't hear something soon (like, by noon) I'll just bite the bullet and order them.

Between my sister-in-law's wedding this past weekend ($don't want to know), my dog getting sick ($1200) and the tires ($750) I am finding that I am just not caring much about the extra $100 at this point. Friday I did, but being without a vehicle and seeing that much cash leave in a weekend, I am a little desensitized. :eek:(censored)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad to do. Remove caliper and bracket, remove axle nut, remove (3) wheel bearing bolts. Done.