BOTH front hubs/bearings bad at 40K!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. I have a Grabber thread on here documenting comments as they wear, and I will update it.

Thread prolly locked (lock). It happens evar time we start having too much fun .... (admin)

peepwall.gif(rotflmao)

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Five. 1980 258, 1983 258, 1988 258, 1989 258, 1995 4.0

I know, probably not nearly as many as Thunderbirdjunkie. But the 258/4.0 are world reknowned for their reliability and stoutness. How could you call them BS?

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.. if you think about it like this, that engine may start up every time (reliable) but how long will it live (durability)

If it HAS started up reliably then it must have been durable. Only time will tell if it continues to start up reliably.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If it HAS started up reliably then it must have been durable. Only time will tell if it continues to start up reliably.

durable |ˈd(y)oŏrəbəl|
adjective
able to withstand wear, pressure, or damage; hard-wearing : porcelain enamel is strong and durable | figurative a durable peace can be achieved.
• informal (of a person) having endurance : the durable Smith lasted the full eight rounds.

reliable |riˈlīəbəl|
adjective
consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted : a reliable source of information.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I give. The **** may be durable but not reliable. My boat anchor is durable but may not hold the boat in place. I get it. I suppose I confuse the two because I expect both. They go hand in hand r I get rid of whatever the item may be, CJ7 or boat anchor.

Now categorize '80s Jeep I6s.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.. if you think about it like this, that engine may start up every time (reliable) but how long will it live (durability)

If my engine dies with less than 40k on it, it was neither reliable, nor durable.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I never followed the AMC line. Izzat the same 4.0 (190 h.p.) that is in the Cherokees?

For the most part, yes they are based on the same design, but the 4.0L is more "modern". Some parts from the 4.0L can be swapped over to the 258. (Which is the AMC 4.2L)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, yes they are based on the same design, but the 4.0L is more "modern". Some parts from the 4.0L can be swapped over to the 258. (Which is the AMC 4.2L)

O.K. Thanks. The 4.0s I have been around have been both durable & reliable. Just my $.02.