BOTH front hubs/bearings bad at 40K!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you do know that Chrysler owns Jeep? Were all gona make Sacrifices. I've owned my Jeep for 4 months now and I've had to put 500 into it (But I still love it it's my off-road champ). Sigh I still wish Jeep was still owned by AMC.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know that Chrysler and GM do not make there bearings right? Actually both sets where made by the same company,Timkin(which about 90%+ of American vehicles use from the factory).Just like the balljoints(both upper and lower) in the KJ are made by MOOG,but the common factor is they are made for Chrysler(or GM and Ford) to there specs.

Oh and seen bad bearing on brand new vehicles before,actually seen alot of them and taking about vehicles with less then 1000 miles on them,it happens.

I do realize that. I also, from years of experience, know the quality control requirements that OEM's can require suppliers to maintain.

The moral of the story is that these shouldn't have failed, they did fail, and I surelu hope Chrysler does the right thing. Whether they eat the cost or throw it back to the supplier, I couldn't care less. The product was sold by them and was faulty in an interval which is totally unacceptable.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck

But you should have had it diagnosed by a technician before you blew $750 on tires. You should have figured out WHY the noise was going on BACK WHEN YOUR VEHICLE WAS UNDER WARRANTY instead of making your own expert assertion of what was "obviously" wrong

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the 70s when I worked in a Ford Dealership as the Service Manager I saw vehicles coming off the trucks that needed parts replaced for one thing or another. Mileage doesn't mean anything, I have replaced power steering pumps for example with 250 miles on them.
vehicles are made with a ton of moving parts some will fail sooner, some later.
Maybe both of the bearings didn't go out at the same time, you just found them at the same time.
If I was in charge I would not take care of it since you are over the warranty period. One of the mechanics who worked for me had a coil spring break at 570 miles over the warranty mark, he paid for a new spring, Ford didn't !

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, sorry, but ********.

1) My $13k used Grand Prix lasted to 130k with no real major issues. And I beat the PISS out of it. If TWO bearings fail at the same time due to me not spraying them off once a week in a 2 year period, someone needs to up their quality control. I spent 6+ years in tier 1 manufacturing, I know how it should be. One bearing, things happen. Two bearings at essentially the same time? C'mon, W T F.

2) I had 245/70's on it with OEM wheels. I took it offroading exactly once with said 245's and twice with the original 235's. And when I say offroading, one of the times was a sand pit and logging trails (easy stuff), another time in winter (so, snow) and the third it was muddy - see avatar. I highly doubt driving I75 eveyday on OEM wheels with aftermarket "plus1" tires killed them in 40k. I also doubt these three mild offroading trips slaughtered them.

I get it, I got the pair of shit bearings that were made at 4:00 on a holiday weekend. Just don't try to push lack of maintenance or being too ******* them as the culprit, that's BS and you know it. 40k miles, these things should be able to live through the harshest conditions for 40k miles!

I agree with you 100%. If one side was bad, I'd say that can happen to anyone. But, both bad at 40k is a manufacturers defect in my mind. If they will repair it for you for $200, I think that is a fair settlement.
Bruce

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
CRAP happens....

At work right now, there is a $375,000 D7 dozer with a cracked frame. It is brand new, only 1.7 hours on it. And to fix it isn't cheap. Right now, I think it is going to be around 100 man hours for R and R @ $92.75 an hours because the tracks, roller frames, cooling package and engine had to be removed to get to the crack.....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL

That's hilarious

Ever owned an AMC Jeep?
Didn't think so.
If you honestly think AMC's Jeeps were any better than Chrysler's Jeeps, you must not realize there is a reason that Chrysler bought out AMC.

Right. But doesn't this reinforce Atrus' point? We like to believe that "everything breaks, it's a *****, live with it" then assert later that one company's manufacturing techniques suck air vs. another. The point being, that some companies seem to be able to produce a machine which lasts 100k miles, while another can't seem to make one last past 40k miles.

There are differences in quality control.

I'm wicked happy with my jeep. And the notion that all libby's after '02 weren't meant for off-roading? Not too sure about that. I feel bad for Atrus and his wheel bearings and agree that a 40k failure for dual wheel bearings seems... highly suspicious.

I wheel my '04 on rocks to the point where I'm peeing blood when I get home, I've got 77k on my jeep and the only problem I've had is I've been diagnosed with a bad pinion bearing in the rear diff-- which I haven't fixed yet. Was it my wheeling that killed it, or was it, as the tech from Dean's Transmissions said about the Chryco 8.25 "it's the luck of the draw with those".

Every thread where someone has a failure, someone else will pop in and say "I've driven 60,000,000 miles and never had a failure, must be you". Yeah? Well I've never had a window regulator fail, but that doesn't lead me to believe that window regulators aren't a problem in the libby.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAP happens....

At work right now, there is a $375,000 D7 dozer with a cracked frame. It is brand new, only 1.7 hours on it. And to fix it isn't cheap. Right now, I think it is going to be around 100 man hours for R and R @ $92.75 an hours because the tracks, roller frames, cooling package and engine had to be removed to get to the crack.....

You're not supposed to wheel in those. What year is it? :D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Right. But doesn't this reinforce Atrus' point? We like to believe that "everything breaks, it's a *****, live with it" then assert later that one company's manufacturing techniques suck air vs. another. The point being, that some companies seem to be able to produce a machine which lasts 100k miles, while another can't seem to make one last past 40k miles.

There are differences in quality control.

I'm wicked happy with my jeep. And the notion that all libby's after '02 weren't meant for off-roading? Not too sure about that. I feel bad for Atrus and his wheel bearings and agree that a 40k failure for dual wheel bearings seems... highly suspicious.

I wheel my '04 on rocks to the point where I'm peeing blood when I get home, I've got 77k on my jeep and the only problem I've had is I've been diagnosed with a bad pinion bearing in the rear diff-- which I haven't fixed yet. Was it my wheeling that killed it, or was it, as the tech from Dean's Transmissions said about the Chryco 8.25 "it's the luck of the draw with those".

Every thread where someone has a failure, someone else will pop in and say "I've driven 60,000,000 miles and never had a failure, must be you". Yeah? Well I've never had a window regulator fail, but that doesn't lead me to believe that window regulators aren't a problem in the libby.

The fact that Chrysler is even going to consider talking to him about helping him out with it shows how they're going above and beyond the call of duty.
If ThunderbirdJunkie ran the joint, he would've said "Sorry dood, warranty's a warranty for a reason"
At any rate, it's doubtful he'd be so vocal about this if we were discussing it 10,000 miles ago and everything was covered under warranty

Just sayin'

Reaction score
i just want to state damn near half the jeep was replaced for me before warrantee. i think jeep's quality control guy is asleep at the wheel. so many people have so many problems, you would think a little more research would have went in to what they sell. but thats why chrysler is the deepest in the sh*t hole

p.s. my 04 has outwheeled so many other, newer jeeps. but i guess since its not allowed to anymore, i'll just keep it on the pavement, as to not embarrass the big, strong, stuck 2002's

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not supposed to wheel in those. What year is it? :D

I broke my KJ's cherry the first weekend I had it and then some more since........maybe not as ********* as some, but still......so how do I get it's cherry back??? :eek:........(bump)........:p......:D

Dave

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
I broke my KJ's cherry the first weekend I had it and then some more since........maybe not as ********* as some, but still......so how do I get it's cherry back??? :eek:........(bump)........:p......:D

Dave

LOL.... I was drilling holes and changing tires on mine in less then 24 hours after I received it :D And now look at it :rolleyes:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep came from MI.... yikes!

There are unpainted bolts and screws in and around my doors that are rusting, and there are threaded holes in the frame that are rusting. 50K miles... MI is a salty place (thinking about hitting all the rusty bolts with POR15 and hit them with some body color touch up paint)

My first car was an AMC/Jeep CJ-5 wow, that had some rust issues, and broken frame rails, and cross members, and water damaged axles and hubs, and .... oh wait, we wheeled the crap outta that thing... that's why

Last edited: