Anyone ever use these Michelins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I got 4 P235/70r16 Destination AT2's mounted, balanced, and a front end alignment for $590. They have sales from time to time and I just happened to catch one. tjd

Yeah that is a bit steep for tires, even down there in the good 'ol USA. $700 Should wrap up the tires out the door.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that is a bit steep for tires, even down there in the good 'ol USA. $700 Should wrap up the tires out the door.

Yeah, cheap pavement pounder tires.

You guys are too hung up on price.

That being said
245/75-16 LRE Cooper S/T's, alignment, tax, e'erthang 440somethin

Waiting on Cooper for mail-in rebate too :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got ripped from tires plus for my Rango....$750 for 4 Dueler HT's....

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it is obvious that the general consensus is I paid too much for tires. I don't mind paying for a good product, especially as important as tires. I know everyone has their personal favorites, I was looking at tires based on looks to begin with. But what I was told and what I read about these tires, they seemed pretty good. I was hoping someone has tried these tires because I don't think a review written by someone who owns a GMC Sierra in Nashville or a Ford Ranger in Utah helps me out much. I would have to say if the worst thing that I could read about them is the price I am paying, then I should be in good shape. Again, I appreciate everyones input. Although it makes it tough to make a decision, it is very helpful info. Much more than you can get from a manufactures web page.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Well my Michelins were horrible in the snow, handled choppy pavement like a stone skipping across a pond. On a positive note, they were quiet and drove in a straight line well. :rolleyes: Granted mine were a different model than yours, but the same carcass is used...just a different tread. Like I said, I don't think they are worth the money they ask for them.
And I have installed and balanced hunders of Michelin tires over my life, and I can say they all usually gave me some sort of problem on the tire changer.

Hey...buy them...try them...you will see. :)

bluegoat06

Reaction score
Lol, i just bought a set of Michellin LTX AT2 today, and so far i like them a lot.
Got rid of BFG AT KO tires that lasted 90k miles, and they still had another 40k miles or so in them. but after 3 years of nothing but scary driving situations on my drive from Toledo,OH to Dearborn,MI during winter time, i told myself i've had enough of those damn BFG tires. worst tires in ice/light snow i've ever owned.

I paid $655 OTD for the Michelins, and i'll get $70 back after rebate. i'll update how they do in the ice/snow in a couple of months in my Liberty.
size is 245/70/16, the BFG's used to do rub slightly during full lock left or right, the michelins don't rub on the same size. the tire thread is decent, although not very agressive, but they do a great job off/road (no rock crawling/deep mud). my brother has them in his grand cherokee, and i must confess i was really surprised at their performance in sand/gravel,ice/snow and mud. he used to have the same POS BFG tires i had, his Cherokee have the Quadra Drive II though, so i'll see how they'll behave in the libby very soon. we don't offroad very often as we used to, having a wife and little kids won't leave us that much time to play with, but we go hunting from time to time, and they have been great on the cherokee, plus ice/snow traction has been a huge plus.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Lol, i just bought a set of Michellin LTX AT2 today, and so far i like them a lot.
Got rid of BFG AT KO tires that lasted 90k miles, and they still had another 40k miles or so in them. but after 3 years of nothing but scary driving situations on my drive from Toledo,OH to Dearborn,MI during winter time, i told myself i've had enough of those damn BFG tires. worst tires in ice/light snow i've ever owned.

I paid $655 OTD for the Michelins, and i'll get $70 back after rebate. i'll update how they do in the ice/snow in a couple of months in my Liberty.
size is 245/70/16, the BFG's used to do rub slightly during full lock left or right, the michelins don't rub on the same size. the tire thread is decent, although not very agressive, but they do a great job off/road (no rock crawling/deep mud). my brother has them in his grand cherokee, and i must confess i was really surprised at their performance in sand/gravel,ice/snow and mud. he used to have the same POS BFG tires i had, his Cherokee have the Quadra Drive II though, so i'll see how they'll behave in the libby very soon. we don't offroad very often as we used to, having a wife and little kids won't leave us that much time to play with, but we go hunting from time to time, and they have been great on the cherokee, plus ice/snow traction has been a huge plus.

I hear ya on the BFG's...that was the set I replaced the Michelins with..*sigh* and I didn't like the BFG's either hehe. Like you, I hated them in the snow, they were the 2nd worst tire I have ever owned...Michelins being the first.:p The BFG's would clog the tread with slushy snow, and there you were, riding on snow packed tread on the snow....wheeeeeee!! I have heard dozens of people bragging up the BFG's, and all the power to them, but for me I didn't like them .

I pulled a 6x12 Uhaul up to Ontario thru Quebec during a snow storm with the BFG's AT KO's....worst drive ever!! I have found that the cheaper winter tires with good siping and blocky tread works the best in all snow types....wet...deep...slushy...and ice too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Where the heck is Toledo Ohio at, never heard of such a place? :eek:;):D
what part of Toledo?

HIJACK OVER !!!!!

bluegoat06

Reaction score
I live in Holland,OH though, but i like to reference Toledo cause at least it appears on every map :), i'm close to Sylvania,OH.

Last edited:

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tires installed today. The ride is soooo much nicer than the stock Goodyears. I didn't think it would be something I noticed. I can't wait for some wet weather to really check them out. After a few thousand I can give a honest review of them.

bluegoat06

Reaction score
Well, this AT2 tires would be out the liberty next week. i've ran through two brand new sets already, and my steering wheel won't stop vibrating. i've had the first set balanced twice last week, then i've got a brand new set today, and i have the same issue. the tire shop is giving me a brand new set of Michelin LTX M/S tires, ordered them today, and i'll get installed next week.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez...It ain't the tires. You have a serious alignment problem.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Alignments DO NOT EVER IN A ZILLION YEARS EVER FOR ANY REASON cause vibrations.

PERIOD.

Worn tie rod ends and occasionally other front end parts (in special cases) can and do.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignments DO NOT EVER IN A ZILLION YEARS EVER FOR ANY REASON cause vibrations.

PERIOD.

Worn tie rod ends and occasionally other front end parts (in special cases) can and do.

maybe the alignment put a constant pressure on the tie rods and ball joints which caused them to wear so it is possible to blame it on an alignment:D

My brother got the a/t2's put on his 99 ram 2500 4x4 diesel and he loves them. After trying many tires he has found michelins provide great treadwear with good attributes and when it came time to replace the a/ts he had he looked into all different brands and talked to his tire guy and decided on the a/t2. He has had em for a couple of weeks and he has only been on road so I can not say how they are off pavement, on the street they are great (wet or dry).
I think he paid 700 installed for em.

bluegoat06

Reaction score
I asked the shop twice to tell somebody to come with me and do a test drive, they've balanced the tires 3 times already in less than a month, and they're giving me a brand new set of tires, even more expensive than what i already paid for. i have no idea if the tie rods ends are worned out, but i figure this people already checked for that since i'm getting a 3rd set of tires this Saturday :) all i've said is my steering wheel is vibrating at around 50-55mph and 70-75mph.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the shop twice to tell somebody to come with me and do a test drive, they've balanced the tires 3 times already in less than a month, and they're giving me a brand new set of tires, even more expensive than what i already paid for. i have no idea if the tie rods ends are worned out, but i figure this people already checked for that since i'm getting a 3rd set of tires this Saturday :) all i've said is my steering wheel is vibrating at around 50-55mph and 70-75mph.
Better take your KJ to another shop because seems to me they have no idea what they are doing. Instead of replacing the tires they should be looking at the front end and the steering wheel components.