Anyone ever use these Michelins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...=245&yr=2006&pc=34864&cf=false&fcb=&y=13&x=36

They are the Michelin LTX A/T 2's. Not one of my choices as I was only looking in the 225/75 range. But when I went into Discount Tire today and told them what I wanted from a tire, they recommended these. Has a lot of great reviews, but I've never owned a set of Michelins. I'm more concerned with weather related traction then off road traction at the moment, and they said these were great and usually last well beyond the expected life of the tire. Not the most aggresive looking tire I've seen but I guess I can't be too choosey.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You will not be disappointed.

The tires have unobtanium belts and the tread is actually not made of rubber, but of WIN

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 rated A/T tire on TireRack. They are extremely expensive indeed though. If you want a less expensive tire, get the Firestone Destination A/T tires. They are the #2 rated A/T tire on TireRack and are much cheaper than the Michelins.

I was quoted 1200$ for the Michelins and 738$ for the Firestones. I went with the Firestones. Getting them installed next week.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've only ever used Michelin tires on my Mini. They were a 145-70-10 inch and they kicked but in Spring, Summer, and early Autumn. My parents VW Jetta TDI have a set of Michelin snow tires for the winter and for that vehicle they are very good.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Michelin Cross terrains. Great on road tire. Quiet, good in the wet. Off road not so much...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
#1 rated A/T tire on TireRack. They are extremely expensive indeed though. If you want a less expensive tire, get the Firestone Destination A/T tires. They are the #2 rated A/T tire on TireRack and are much cheaper than the Michelins.

I was quoted 1200$ for the Michelins and 738$ for the Firestones. I went with the Firestones. Getting them installed next week.

Sorry, but if you have no firsthand experience with either tire, aside from one being cheaper so you bought it, you can't say "That tire isn't worth it"

Would you also say it's not "worth it" to put a Nitto NT05 on a 2008 BMW M3?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you have no firsthand experience with either tire, aside from one being cheaper so you bought it, you can't say "That tire isn't worth it"

Would you also say it's not "worth it" to put a Nitto NT05 on a 2008 BMW M3?
huh? I just stated that both tire were rate 1 and 2 respectfully on tirerack and that I went with the cheaper tire. I never said the michelin wasn't worth it. I just stated that the firestone is highly rated and cheaper so if the OP wants a good AT tire but not at Michelin prices, well he can check out the Firestone one. That's all.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I stated that the Michelins I bought were not worth it...and they weren't. I am not a Michelin lover at all.

I am not sure what TBJ talking about.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say go for it
at a cost of what $650 out the door?
what else you going to buy for that?
I have the Yoko.'s on the KJ and paid $550 out the door
good on the street wet or dry ,suck in the dirt wet or dry
I am sure those will be the same but probably last longer

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 5 would be $1000 with Discount Tires warranty. Thanks for all your help. I'll let ev everyone know how they are after a few thousand on them. I have an appt. next saturday to have them installed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1000 bucks:eek:hope they do good for you. Michelins have always been good tires but still over priced selling more name than great tire anymore. Of course they are all like that these days
But then I just paid 850 for 5 Goodyear Duratracs in a 265-75-16, mounted balanced all taxes etc.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow
$1000 seems kind of high
5 tires at $155 each is $775
M&B should be no more than $100 for all 5 and even that is high
so you are dropping $125 on a warranty that you should not need because you bought
good tires?
Tire warranties are the biggest gimmick going
what does it really cover?
if you rip a side wall they will tell you that it was your fault for rubbing a curb
all you have left are flats
I drive 40-50K a year in my work truck and get maybe 1 flat a year if that
and it goes to new construction sites all the time
you can get a flat fixed for under $15

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warranty covers free rotation, free puncture repair and if they can't repair the tire I get a new tire. The warranty is only $117. I'll pay the extra for a piece of mind for as long as I own the tires. The rest is usual fees any place that installs the tires would charge.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warranty covers free rotation, free puncture repair and if they can't repair the tire I get a new tire. The warranty is only $117. I'll pay the extra for a piece of mind for as long as I own the tires. The rest is usual fees any place that installs the tires would charge.

you do know you could still save a bunch of money
buy 4 tires ,good ones, and the cheepest spare
order them if the store is not honoring the $70 by mail in
have a smaller shop install them for $10-$15 cash each

I just really dont see spending that kind of money for that tire
in the end you are paying more for 5 of these then I did for 5 GY MTR-K's
in a 32 X 11.5
I was on the road for $750 + a 6 pack and some BurgerKing
now granted I know a guy who does the M&B for the rate of 6 and drive thru
but still mom and pop shops will do it for cash

tjd241

Reaction score
even $750 sounds high to me....

I got 4 P235/70r16 Destination AT2's mounted, balanced, and a front end alignment for $590. They have sales from time to time and I just happened to catch one. tjd