A Non-Controversial Oil Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this question will not stir up a hornets nest. It seems like most oil now comes in the large jugs. Why aren't these jugs 5.0 quarts instead of 5.3 quarts? It doesn't make sense to me. Every vehicle I have takes 5.0 quarts and they warn not to overfill the crankcase. All my vehicles don't use any oil between changes, so what do I do with the extra .3 quart? Right now I leave it in the jug and recycle it with the used oil. :confused:

Bruce

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha...you should have sprayed this post with Raid first.:D

Some vehicles take more oil that others...filter size plays a factor, type of vehicle ie: trucks compared to cars.

Up here in Canada, you sometimes get 4L jugs...4.4L jugs...5L jugs.

Boiler

Reaction score
I get my Mobil 1 5w30 at wallyworld for 23 bucks for 5 quart jug. I was in the parts store and saw it for like 25 and just about bought it to save a trip to walmart. then I noticed those rats sell 4 quart bottles. Basically trying to pull a fast one since they can't compete. So because of that, among other reasons, I rank most auto parts stores as low as I do walmart for places I want to give my business...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe incase it settles during shipping? Or just a "thresh hold" incase from the factory?
Did you actually pour it out and measure it?

Just some thoughts. :)

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, it is annoying when the auto parts stores carry "5+" quart jugs. I ended up eyeballing the oil from the gauge on the side of the jug when filling. Got these at Autozone and it was Valvoline Synpower. I know other vehicles use more or less oil, but I don't get why it would be .3 extra.

I ran into this a few times before I found the 5qt jugs at Walmart. No turning back now...

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a 5.3 qt jug. Which brand?

I just looked in my garage and all three brands that I have are 5.28 qt jugs. They are from Castrol, Motorcraft, and Valvoline. If anything, I thought they would try to sneak say a 4.9 qt jug past us.
Bruce

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That extra is for you to use later!
Buddy of mine used to work in a small shop that only bought gallon jugs of oil. He would turn them upside down and drain every last little drop out into another jug. When he got 5 quarts he would change his oil!
So there start changing other peoples oil and do a free one on yours every so often!:D

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get my Mobil 1 5w30 at wallyworld for 23 bucks for 5 quart jug. I was in the parts store and saw it for like 25 and just about bought it to save a trip to walmart. then I noticed those rats sell 4 quart bottles. Basically trying to pull a fast one since they can't compete. So because of that, among other reasons, I rank most auto parts stores as low as I do walmart for places I want to give my business...

Yea, last week I saw the Mobile 1 jugs for sale at Meijer for 19.99. I said "holy crap" let's stock up. I walked up to the shelf and they were 4 qt jugs. It pays to look twice and trust no one.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Rotella Synthetic I use comes in 1qt, 4qt, and 5 gal. that i have seen. Don't really mind the exta quarts, as it comes in handy for the lawnmower. Price varies greatly between stores.

I use the same in all ic engines simply to reduce the number of containers I have around.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Autozone I work in carries all sorts of 5liter/5.28quart oil jugs.