antifreeze/coolant question

Eric_Lee

Reaction score
If youd rather not read all that I wrote below heres the short version of my question.

"So should I flush the heck out of my system and put different coolant in? Or stick with the dexcool antifreeze?"

So I'm pretty much replacing a lot of parts (dealing with engine temperatures) on my jeep liberty limited. Its the 3.7 liter. I came across a post on here that was made awhile ago about using coolant with Dexcool. When I went to Autozone to get the coolant I was told that for my vehicle I'm supposed to use engine coolant with dexcool. No problem, I purchase the concentrate bottle so I can get more coolant for my money mixing exactly 50/50. I also ensure to use distilled water (its only .87 from walmart for a gallon anyways.) But in this thread I saw on this forum they were talking about how dexcool eats away at gaskets and causes a lot of problems with gaskets.

Today I planned on replacing my thermostat and water pump (and I always use Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket sealer on my water pump and thermostat's gaskets) my jeep is about to hit 190,000 miles. Just this past week I had to pay to get my valve cover gasket replaced along with my lower engine mount. I'm no means a mechanic and I dont claim to be car savvy when it comes to fixing them. But I am one of those DIY type of guys and if it seems simple enough I'll do it myself. I have plenty of good friends who help when they can but they have families and such.

My main question is am I hurting my Jeep by using this Dexcool antifreeze? Someone had posted that dexcool coolant eats the engine from the inside out? I find that hard to believe as I flush my coolant every 6 months and living in Florida I have to make sure all parts related to keeping my Jeeps engine cool are in working order. Thus why I'm going to replace the thermostat and water pump. Now normally when I have to add coolant I'll flush the entire system out. I'm not rich but I'm not a penny pincher either. I've never put old coolant back into my jeep. I just replace it with new coolant. Should I be using the coolant that doesnt contain the dex cool? Or should I continue to use the same thing. The cable cover gasket only had me leaking oil. The water pump is whats making me lose coolant. Plus the jeep is driven daily and in Jacksonville Florida the weather changes like most ladies I date attitudes (no offense to the wonderful women who are apart of this forum.)

HomerSaysDoh

Reaction score
I would drain the system, fill with water and repeat until it drains clear. replace with Zerex G-05 or Chrysler HOAT.

But I'm only a chemist, not a mechanic
Dexcool contains 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid (2-EHA)

HOAT stands for Hybrid OAT. These antifreeze use organic acids but not 2-EHA and usually include silicates to provide protection for aluminium surfaces. HOAT anti-freezes are used by many European car manufacturers, although they are also used by American companies such as Chrysler and Ford. A HOAT coolant will need to be changed every five years or 150,000 miles.

2-EHA can be more aggressive at attacking some gasket materials. To spend only a few dollars more on the proper coolant that will last 5 years, I don't see a compelling reason to use Dexcool.

Zerex G-05 is available at Advance Auto.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! You are damaging it. But not necessarily the way you describe.

Dexcool is an OAT coolant, organic acid technology... It describes the chemistry involved.

You need to use HOAT. Hybrid organic acid technology. G-05 as you see branded for Ford, is one example.

Never use anything but HOAT coolant!

I'll let you Google the differences and the different discussions all over the internet now that you have those two terms to research.

Flush that crap out and refill with the proper coolant. Then go smack whomever told you to use Dexcool upside the head.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Now would also be a good time to do the hoses while there as well.

The Mopar Thermostat is the only one I would install...

Last edited: