3rd row seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do those mount? It seems like it would be slightly unsafe since the vehicle was not designed for more passengers to ride in that area. Also, I wouldn't want to go very far riding in the very back of a KJ lol.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do those mount? It seems like it would be slightly unsafe since the vehicle was not designed for more passengers to ride in that area. Also, I wouldn't want to go very far riding in the very back of a KJ lol.

Well, if you go to the site, it shows they're federally approved and meet a bunch of requirements (yada, yada, yada).

I realize the KJ wasn't designed for people to ride back there, but neither was the JK and the seat I linked to is designed for the JK.

They make seats similar to this one for alot of different SUVs, too.

It wouldn't be me ridin' in the back of the KJ anyway. It'd be my 6 year old or 3 year old (7 and 4 then) and it wouldn't be for long anyway most of the time. I figure if it was side facing they'd have a little bit of leg room with one kid in the back.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for something like this myself as I would like a 3rd row seat just for kids, so I would be interested in anything you find out

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
better than the back of a corvette :D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although they claim to meet the NHTSA standards, there are two concerns I would still have about it. First, I am curious to see how this was tested. Did they actually crash a vehicle or simply try to crush the seat frame in a shop press? Also, a side mounted seat would not provide any protection against a head on or rear collision. It would become lateral g's for those passengers. That seems risky. Granted, I know, many people used to ride in pickup truck beds back in the day, but it still seems like an unneccesary risk.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although they claim to meet the NHTSA standards, there are two concerns I would still have about it. First, I am curious to see how this was tested. Did they actually crash a vehicle or simply try to crush the seat frame in a shop press? Also, a side mounted seat would not provide any protection against a head on or rear collision. It would become lateral g's for those passengers. That seems risky. Granted, I know, many people used to ride in pickup truck beds back in the day, but it still seems like an unneccesary risk.

Same issue would arise in the back of my Ranger, but that hasn't been that much of an issue.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a better solution, trade in the JK for a minivan (rotflmao)

You mean KJ? I would, but as I said, I don't want to have a huge car payment just to get another seat. I could find a used van, but so far this KJ has been reliable and I know that it's fairly capable if I should ever want/need to take it off the beaten path.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess nevermind, guys. I got a letter from the company that said they designed one for the KJ (ok, they said Liberty). Keep an eye out for it if you want. I'll try to come in here and post up some pics if I get one.

Side facing only, as expected, 'cause there's no room in the back of the KJ.