Your audio setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a $100 bass package, I think it should be enough, whatcha gonna do with a lot of bass.. If it is getting in the way of the other music and rattling already noisy parts of the jeep, that's distraction.
I am still considering the MTX thunder or whatever that slim one is.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wait, what's this about not having to buy an aftermarket stereo with the BassLink? Can you hook up two of them? lol3.gif

That's another thing I hate about aftermarket HUs... the removable faceplate. if you don't get rid of it, people want to steal it, and if you don't have it, you can't listen to the radio. I had a tendency to leave the house without it.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, no need for an aftermarket HU.....you still need power and ground, but for the signal you can hook it into the factory speaker wire...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
aftermarket is the way to go, get all the mp3s you got in a 8GB jump drive for like $100, get a USB HU for like $200. Factory premium speakers are great, don't underestimate them.

Marlon in addition to what I said, you can also get one that automatically swaps the face to hide the whole thing. (it turns inwards, looks like you took it.)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I want bass and lots of it. :) I previously had an Alpine HU and I didn't really like it. Good sound even from stock speakers, but the HU buttons / UI sucked.

If the emphasis is on bass, then there's alot you can get for $500....still no need for aftermarket HU, unless you want one. Crutchfield has an Alpine package for $449 with (2) 12's, a box, and amp. --------> http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XEQ0PPFErED/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700ALPPKG2

Or an MTX set for $299 ----------->http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XEQ0PPFErED/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700TCRT12
There are countless options and opinions. Personally I would recommend getting a new HU, it would probably make the factory speakers sound better than they do now and would make it easier to hook up an amp. For me, the Basslink is plenty, but if you're looking for neighbor shaking bass then you might want something more like one of the packages above.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I just want Liberty shaking bass. I'd be put to shame by the people who live behind me (on the next street) unless I poured thousands into this... which I ain't about to do.

They rattle the windows in my house with the sound coming out of their Suburban!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need an aftermarket HU, you can hook up big-ass bazooka, or any kinda subwoofer to stock stereo. I saw some diagrams somewhere.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, to have really good sounding bass and to have control over the bass he's going to need an after market head unit. Otherwise you've got to have a line level input which will work alright but basically leaves you with turning down your front or rear speakers (which ever channel you've linked the sub to) in order to raise or lower the output of the sub. With a new HU, you just go in to the settings and raise or lower the out put to the amp from the HU. Much better control over the bass and better sound quality, also.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the subwoofer has it's own amp on board, or if you pair with an amp that has remote control input with not only on/off but with level dial, I think it should be OK. Don't you think so? Just like home subs.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the sub w/ amp built in has a remote level control or if the amp does then all you're controlling is the volume of the sub, not it's output. Let's say you've got the sub set to put out so much bass that it causes the driver to distort like crazy. Turning the sub/amp knob only lowers the volume of the bass, not it's out put which results in the bass still being distorted, just not as loudly as before. The method you're suggesting will work, just not nearly as well or cleanly as an aftermarket HU and amp/sub combo.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, just get a Mopar subwoofer then.. It won't rattle the house, and it is just focused to give extra boom to the driver's butt. That's about all.
I am getting pretty damn good bass from my stock speakers on right music, the setting (EX BASS) that extends the bass must have something to do with it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am talking about my Kenwood radio. My Stock radio didn't have any special settings.. (RBQ) It was pretty damn solid, though.

jcpryce

Reaction score
Personally i feel that unless you're entering DB competitions with your system you can spend very little and still get more than you want. Its really over kill to spend thousands on a system just to drive down the street. Too much bass and all you get is a massage. Now, I've got a Sony HU with a JBL 400 watt four channel amp powering 4 JBL's for the doors and a JBL 1000 watt mono amp powering two JBL 12's in a bandpass box. I've got the settings set pretty low and hits really hard.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i feel that unless you're entering DB competitions with your system you can spend very little and still get more than you want. Its really over kill to spend thousands on a system just to drive down the street.

I'm sure that you didn't spend thousands on your set up but for about $130 plus the cost of the wiring kit and a box to house the speaker in (you can build one your self with a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" or thicker MDF for $20.00), you can have a very nice "system" which would provide tight accurate bass and could be turned up pretty loudly, depending if the box is correctly sized for the sub, if you wanted it to be loud.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from crutchfield. Yes they're overpriced but its just an example.

Amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-72zx5R1d1O5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP400

Sub: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-72zx5R1d1O5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=113W2510

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want Liberty shaking bass. I'd be put to shame by the people who live behind me (on the next street) unless I poured thousands into this... which I ain't about to do.

They rattle the windows in my house with the sound coming out of their Suburban!

Well, this isn't a KJ but it'll give you an idea of what you might or might not want. It's my brother-n-law's Tacoma with (2) 12's in it that we just installed yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcNcusN1Q8s

And then here's mine for comparison. I know it's hard to tell on computer speakers but maybe it'll help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRuGF90KKs

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That takoma is *******. Wild stuff.. Just overkill, though.
You must be registered for see images

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh God..... maybe I was wrong.

BTW: I couldn't stand anything in that Tacoma video... I wouldn't listen to any of those songs. :p